1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering ankle carrying an Ultra Carry. My local gun shop says the gun is too heavy and that it's grip is too long for ankle carry.

Three questions:
1. Is that true?
2. For those of you who do ankle carry, what holsters do you like? I've been looking at the Galco Ankle Glove: http://www.galcogunleather.com/ankle-glove-ankle-holster-_8_6_1019.html
3. Do you carry on your weak side inside ankle or your strong side inside ankle with the grip pointing forward (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu9YkYjhjpA)?

I carry IWB a Tactical Pro. Pretty comfortable with baggy shirts not tucked in. Ankle carry seems like a good option when the IWB isn't practical.

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
I have an ankle glove for a J frame and really think it is the best ankle holster I have owned (Of about 4-5)

If you carry enough, you will have a drawer full of holsters, who dares, wins. let us know how it works.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would not hesitate to carry an Ultra in a ankle holster should the need arise. Just don't wear pencil leg type pants.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
My concern would be the weight of the 1911 in a holster that is secured around my lower leg with velcro. My ultra covert is 25 ounces empty and it seems like that would be heavy in an ankle holster. I would not want to be walking through a crowded store and have my holster and firearm fall off.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the Galco ankle glove that I carry a BUG in for work. Without a doubt the best ankle holder I have ever had. I was apprehensive like you about the Velcro also but never has it even so much as moved from where I strapped it at. Always where socks with the holster and you will always be happy

·
Registered
736 Posts
When I wear an ankle holster I also wear Wellington boots. It helps to hold the weapon secure. The top of the boot is open enough that the holster fits in like a IWB. I wear 8" high boots.

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I carry my Super Carry Ultra HD in an ankle holster all the time. I wear slacks and a Polo shirt for work, so carry the Ultra in the ankle holster rather than having to change if I have anything I want to do after work. It took a little getting used to, but it isn't bad. I have a Galco ankle holster made for a 3" 1911.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ankle carried a Colt Detective Special for nearly 20 years lost it exactly twice, both times in a physical fight situation. But I always carried with boots (cowboy or work) that made a big difference in retention and comfort. I would carry a 1911 but no longer have the need. IIRC Kimber Ultras have 2 length grips just be sure which one you intend to use but the difference in the two shouldn't make much of a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts