1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Dan Wesson V-Bob 9mm that has been duty treated..... I was not aware that certain lubeication/cleaning products can stain your pistol!!...

Secondly which products do you reccomend??

What is in that certain product that ruins the finish....

Thank You!

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
the owners manual lists recommended lubes. brake clean, and several other products will cause problems by removing the oil that is trapped in the finish. how many posts are here about lubes and duty treat? 45 million?

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
congratulations on your move! although new york is beautiful, the gun laws aren't so great, as you know. utah has the best national parks imho. check on dan wesson website, you can probably down load the manual for your model. or contact dan wesson and have them sent you a new one. also there really are a ton of lube and duty treat threads here, some even have keith responding. i have lubes i know are safe and use them, but the list of approved lubes is long and my memory is not as good as i remember. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've used it for over 30 years,I shoot black powder cartridges, cowboy action shooting. In those thirty years using it to clean my pistols rifles and shotguns I have had zero rust on my firearms,I find guns tend to foul less and clean up quicker using it. Is it the best, probably not,I wouldn't recommend it for long term storage for that there's Rig grease but I wouldn't want to shoot my black powder firearms with out it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ballistol does everything good, but nothing great. It's the "CLP" of the blackpowder world and that's where I use it.

Just remember that nothing has been tested more thoroughly than MILSPEC CLP'S and you can't go wrong with G96.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Brake cleaner and solvents with toluene will mar the surface appearance of DT. You want to basically stay away from grease removers. Oils are good for DT - which is amongst the most rugged of finishes. There’s always something that can mar any finish.

·
Registered
988 Posts
DW recommends Kroil. They mean it. You can experiment, if you wish, but you are taking your chances. Solvents will destroy the appearance of Duty Treat, and other versions of this finish by any other name. This finish has microscopic oil molecules as part of its makeup. Any kind of solvent will leach it out. You are left with nasty looking blotches and such. There is nothing that you can do about it other than refinish. Lots and lots of gun cleaning formulas contain solvents of some type or another for some reason or another. If you are wrong in your choice, you will be checking out a refinish if you like a good looking gun.

I had a spray bottle of that "98% DEET bug spray in my range bag. It leaked and turned my hearing protectors to a pile of sticky mush. My Nighthawk Falcon got into it as well. I ended up having to send it back for a refinish. Very expensive mistake.

My advise is to not take chances. Kroil is as good for lubrication, cleaning and oiling as anything that you will find out there.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Kroil is a lousy penetrant and not billed as a lubricant.

Reactions: TheTinMan and DWboy
1 - 20 of 107 Posts