1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left a moist piece of cloth on top on my sprinfield stainless and little rust spots formed all over the top blasted area. I just bought some Birchwood Casey Blue & Rust Remover and tried it on a small spot and it worked great. I was was just wondering if i'm doing any harm to the base metal which is stainless? Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I wouldn't think that it would do any damage to any type of steel. It will remove surface coatings like blueing, however(duh).

On polished blue or stainless surfaces a creme like Flitz works great. Corrosion X will often remove surface rust and it's one of the best protectant lubricants available. For a dry protectant try a Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth.
www.corrosionx.com www.sentrysolutions.com www.flitz.com www.maaspolish.com

[This message has been edited by CH (edited 11-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CH (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
I haven't used the product you mentioned, but I have used 'Tarnite' and other products which work very well for rust removal on steels, including stainless steel.

I've used it to remove rust spots on carbon steel and to remove the slow oxide buildup on some stainless steels (mostly for knife blades).

Check the list of ingredients for 'oxalic acid'. Oxalic acid selectively digests oxides, without attacking adjacent metal.

Products with oxalic acid should work very well for stainless guns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts