1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to use Prestone Brake Cleaner for my Ruger 22/45 as well as for my stainless 1911s? What about Glocks? It is about 1/5th of the price of Gun Scrubber.
I use a degreaser (currently Gun Scrubber) only as the first stage of cleaning, especially to get into those tight areas. The next steps are a tooth brush & Hoppes #9, then using Q-Tips & patches for detail work.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I use brake cleaner on my Glocks and have never noticed any problem or deterioration to the platic because of it. Should be fine for stainless steel as well.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
A long time ago I use to race open class motocross. there was a write up where the staff of a mag sprayed a cleaner on a break handle and it broke off. not sure on glocks or the ruger, but I would not want to be wrong

one thing to watch on blue and ss guns, the cleaner takes the oil out of the pores in the steel. Both ss and espically blues steel need to be oiled when done or you may see rust pretty fast.

geo ><>

·
Registered
332 Posts
i use it for all of my guns. sts and blued. like stated above, be sure to lube well. i like it because it washes all of that hidden scum outta the frame and such. just remember to lube the innards. gun scrubber does seem to evaporate quicker though. but for $6 a can, it's worth waiting the extra minutes. good luck and stay oily.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Chico, I don't think your should get that stuff near your Glock. It may not appear to do any damage at first, but repeated applications might just, over time, degrade the plastic. I did a study on solvents and their effects on an ABS/polycarbonate (plastic) alloy matial (Cycoloy 6200), and brake cleaner was deadly to it. In fact one time whe we were using a flame retardant grade of plastic that was leaving an unwanted residue in the mold, we used brake cleaner to remove it. I don't know the exact composition of the Glock frames, I'm sure it's as solvent resistant as plastic can be, but I wouldn't test it on my gun.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
If you check the ingredients of both the spary gun cleaners and spray brake cleaners you will find that many are the same. If you find a gun cleaner you like, write down the ingredients and go to your auto supply store and check the cans of brake cleaners until you find one that is the same.

Read what it says on the can of GS or other gun cleaners, a lot of them advise not using them on plastics.

FWIW YMMV VWP NVIAL WEOI CCBS LS/MFT

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I heard that the "non-chlorinated" brake cleaner was safe to use on plastics.

Could very well be wrong but we may want to gear this discussion to the two different types of brake cleaners.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use brake cleaner on all my guns, but do avoid the polymer or plastic parts just in case, and of course all wood and varnished surfaces. I agree it is a very cheap solution to cleaning up carbon buildup and such.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
FWIW = For What Its Worth
YMMV = Your Milage May Vary
VWP = Void Where Prohibited
NVIAL = Not Valid In All Locations
NWEOI = No Warrantee Expressed Or Implied
I left the N off the NWEOI
CCBS = Close Cover Before Striking
LS/MFT = Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco and
Less Smoke More Fine Taste

*** = Ooops, this is a family board.....LOL

TAF!

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 11-23-2001).]

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY CHICO:GUNNUTS HERE,I use Valvoline Synpower Brake Parts Cleaner,It's NON-Chlorinated and does not leave a white film!just my 2cents.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Most gun part plastics are highly resistant to the solvents like acetone that you find in most brake cleaners. That said, it still may degrade the chemical structure somewhat over time and cause it to become weaker or brittle.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Is there any detriment to the firing pin channell when using brake cleaner? Is it a good idea to soak that area with oil after you degrease it. I've used brake cleaner on my Glocks, but I've always avoided the stiker channell because of the plastic liner, plus on a Glock, the striker channell must be free of oil. I never use it on the lower though. As far as my AR goes, the entire upper gets a good blast, but the bolt and carrier of it demands to be run fairly 'wet' anyway, so rust is not a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts