1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Charles Daly compact in February. For the first 300 rounds it jammed a lot, but after switching ammo it has about 1 or 2 failure to feeds out of about every 100 rounds. Plus I noticed that the grooves on the slide where the slide stop meets the slide is a bit rough now that I have shot the pistol.

Will this gun hold up? How many rounds should I expect to be able to fire through this gun? 5000? less?

I guess the main reason I bought it was the price. Overall, it doesn't look that bad but the wear on the slide stop groove has me concerned about the quality of the pistol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Krinkov,
Welcome to the forum. Search the archives. My CD has over 8K rounds through it.

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just because something is 2 to 3 hundred dollars less than the competition does not mean that it is junk, just more economical. I've got almost 1000 rounds through mine, it shoots better than I do.

·
Registered
233 Posts
the fs and efs modle fullsize 1911 by cd,are great guns. as to why there prices. one there made in the phillies. and they use some cast parts. we all know as much. with a few simple parts replacements. you have a 1911 that is as good as any american made one. if you happen to have purchased a odd defective cd, cd will fix are replace you gun. cost here in the united states is higher to produce firearms,compared to that of other countrys. youll be a happy camper once you get this matter resolved. and welcome to the cd forum

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I am not saying the guns are junk and as a owner of a CD, I hope they are not. It's just that the wear on the slide where the slide stop indentions are is a bit disturbing. Soft metal?

Anyhow, I have spent money on this gun (i.e. trigger job, new sights, throating/polishing) and I don't want to lose the money invested.

My question is for all of you; should the wear that I have already mentioned concern me? Am I overreacting?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally posted by Krinkov:
Well, I am not saying the guns are junk and as a owner of a CD, I hope they are not. It's just that the wear on the slide where the slide stop indentions are is a bit disturbing. Soft metal?

Anyhow, I have spent money on this gun (i.e. trigger job, new sights, throating/polishing) and I don't want to lose the money invested.

My question is for all of you; should the wear that I have already mentioned concern me? Am I overreacting?
your slide stop may need a dimple on the end of slide release, so that your plunger will go a little more into the dimple. that will prevent it from riding up and down, during firing. are you can buy a new slidestop, i notice that some slidestop steems/thats the shaft that goes through your gun, is a hair biger in diameter. its hard to suggest whats needed,without having it to look over. but i would think what i have just written may be of help. walkingpoint probily can give you a better insight. if your cd under warranty, call are e-mail them. i can imagin you can easly fix it yourself. assuming your slide is made of the same materials as the fs and efs you dont have to worry are be too concerned. good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
We'd have to see a pic of the wear problem in order to have an idea about it.

I just got through running another 500 rounds through mine for a total of 3500 since I got it a few weeks ago. It hasn't fallen apart yet...

·
Registered
233 Posts
walkingpoint, you have that 1911 of yours smoking STILL
lol. i have alot of ammo and im trying to find time this week, to spend some more time at the range. i just dont get to shoot as often as i like too
the cd are like durracell batteries, keeps going and going. well i just wanted to say hi to all of you

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think I know what Krinkov is talking about. I noticed on my FS Models slide where the slide stop engages the slide it is starting to round out or wear metal away. I have e-mailed two custom gunsmiths and both have stated this is due to the softer metals of the CD pistols. Even though Caspian is succesful in using castings, apparently CD isn't as good at it. My question is, if enough of this metal wears away will this prevent the slide from locking back?

·
Registered
233 Posts
rob, i have fired a few thousands of rounds through my cd,and it shows no ware at all.not even the bake on paint is still there. i cant imagin such wear. however if it gets to be a problem. i would buy another slide. according to charles daly, slides machined from solid steel bar stock. but im interested in finding out the ware,it shouldnt be of great concern, but i would get ahold of charles daly, and see what they have to say about it. it seems as if you and that other ole'boy is the ONLY one having this problem.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Buying another slide would not be an option I would consider. My initial intent when I bought this pistol was to see if I liked the 1911 platform, I did not want to spend a lot of money only to not like the 1911. Who knows , maybe the cast slide stop is harder than the barstock slide. But there is definetly wear in that area. The pistol is out of warranty, so a call to CD would be useless. Eventually I will trade it in on another 1911.

·
Registered
233 Posts
rob, as long as you cd lock open on last round. i wouldnt worry about it. cosmedically speaking? now im not really sure about this; but you probily could have it tac welded there, and take your dremel", and shape it. so that it locks open and looks like it suppose to
if you will,please post us a picture. ok? and it wouldnt hurt going over this matter with cd anyways. you may be suprised
keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The CD slides are not cast, only the slide stop.

My slide has very minor wear at the point you describe, and is likely from using the slide release. I don't think it comes from the slide locking back. All of my Colts have the same type of wear, so my thoughts are "don't worry about it".

When I get a chance I'll take photos of my CD and a Colt to show what kind of wear I'm seeing. I should be able to do this in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts

The CD is at the top and the Colt is at the bottom. I'd have to say that the Colt with over 100,000 rounds through it is not a worry, while the CD looks to have more severe wear at only 3700 rounds. I'd still have to guess that it would take 10s of thousands of rounds before there would be any problems with the slide not locking back.

I'd also say that the pre-series 70 Colt is made of superior steel.

[This message has been edited by Walking Point (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
wp those are some good pictures. i havent noticed any such ware on mine yet"> i wonder if its because i use a 18.5 recoil spring???but just the same i will have to agree with wp, it would litterly take thousands among thousands of rounds to cause enough ware to be concern with. another thing i would like to mention, do you think using hot loads may have anything to do with such ware?? i have yet used any hot loads
im still a happy camper with my cd, and i know you all will be too.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I don't believe it has anything to do with hot loads. I'm pretty sure the damage is from releasing the slide, not from it locking back. The locking typically takes place much higher on the slide "notch".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I haven't been able to quickly respond to all the advice doled out by the group. Been working..

I appreciate all the replies and especially the pics by Walking Point...that is exactly the kind of wear I am talking about. I have to admit I am new to the 1911 series although I did own a Kimber briefly. I had never seen wear like this on a slide before and was concerned about it. I will accept you guy's more expert opinion on the matter and stop fretting over the damn thing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just for everyones info . I was working on a freinds Kimber ultra compact 45 yesterday installing a Ambi safety and remembered this conversation . I looked and there was the same type of wear on the Kimber . I was told once by a very knowledgeable man who has shot more People than I have guns that if you choose to use the slide release to drop the slide that this will prematurely wear this spot on most pistols . I checked my own 1911s and found no wear . I use his method of placing my hand around the top of the slide in front of the rear sight and pulling it slightly to the rear and releasing . I mean when you think of it those two parts rubbing against each other when depressing the slide lock could cause the wear described . The owner of the Kimber confirmed around 1500 rounds and he uses the slide lock to drop the slide . By the way the trigger on this Kimber sucked big time . I have not seen that on a Kimber before . It took about ten lb.s to drop the hammer and it felt like I was going to break it .

·
Registered
249 Posts
i've got +1,500 rounds thru my fs and no wear at all. do you push the slide lock down to release the slide to chamber a round?
\mcole

1 - 20 of 23 Posts