1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browsing their website and I don't see any. There are some Commander models listed in the 1991 category, but all seem to be steel framed.

·
Registered
746 Posts
To many things about the 1991 line that I'd have to upgrade/fix for me to have any interest in them.

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
I still see some of the XSE LW Commanders in gun stores so you could probably find one if you want it but the Talo/Colt Wiley Clap is the last one being manufactured now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I very much hope that Colt comes out with a Commander LW. The competition has features I do not desire. It would be very easy for them to put a 1991 slide on an LW XSE (or its replacement) frame. They have all the tooling and R&D was done before the space race began.

The WC pistols are beautiful, but can't we just get a plain jane alloy frame? Paying $1000+ for a used one does not interest me.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
I have seen a number of the new XSE LW Commanders in .45 and they still have the ambi safety. I just had to buy one of the new 9mm XSE LW Commanders since they were introduced this year and discontinued this year and no ambi safety.

I plan to shoot it but thought it would go great with my XSE LW Commander in 45 I bought in 2006 and my XSE LW Commander in 38 Super I bought in 2009.

I would be all happy if Colt added LW Commanders to their 1991 line in 9mm, 38 Super and 45. One problem of buying an old one, and Commanders all had Aluminum alloy frames till 1970 when the Combat Commander was introduced, is that unless it is almost NIB you have to look at it VERY carefully to be sure the feed ramp on the frame is in good shape. Also did Colt use the same Aluminum alloy back in 1949 for these that they do now? My guess is no. Did they use the same anodizing etc. on the Aluminum?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I jumped on the LW 9mm XSE a couple of months ago and am glad I did. Great gun and who knows when we will see a new version.

·
Banned
3,845 Posts
I have one of the last ones shipped from the factory. Love the pistol but just wish they did not have the baked on finish!!!!!!! They are not going away completely just not a catalogued item.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
I still see the bicolor LW Commanders in 38 Super which are a Talo? special. I would think there might be some more distributor specials.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was just browsing their website and I don't see any. There are some Commander models listed in the 1991 category, but all seem to be steel framed.
as popular as they are and have been, Colt must be in significant disarray to not offer a LW Commander.

Best carry 1911

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
I've been asking for a basic lightweight Commander for years. Preferably a Series 70, but at this point I'll take what I can get!

Should be a no brainer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts