1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I follow this forum on a pretty regular basis. I don't have any
Dan Wessons anymore but am thinking about them again. I
told myself that I wouldn't buy one until I felt that Dan Wesson has worked out some of the problems. Correct me if
I am wrong but it seems to me that their is less problems with
the major than any other model. I don't see as many complaints
about the major as the others. Is this my imagination? I think
the Dan Wessons are getting better some of the constant problems I don't see as much anymore. the ones I had I was
afraid to shoot and didn't feel I could ever trust them. Even after
I sent my Patriot back it came back the same way. It would double
fire and the hammer would follow the slide. I know Dan Wesson
would of fixed it but I lost trust in the gun. Your thoughts please.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
ftstinyc......

I can only give a very general observation from the Dan Wesson pistols that I've personally looked at (which is many). I am of the opinion that the Dan Wesson Majors were and are some of the best pistols to recently reach the market. It was the Major that caught my attention. Fit, finish, function was as smooth as glass. I'll never forget the first Major I spotted in Prescott, AZ. The slide on frame movement was like it was on ball bearings. The deep bluing was like Colts of the past. I was pretty impressed. Suddenly, DW was discovered and demand increased. For the most part I began to see small issues begin to surface. As with any product, check it out before you buy. When DW does it right, they really have a very nice product.

Regards,
Sam

·
Banned
651 Posts
These are GREAT!

These 1911's are the "modern Colts" of the 21st century! This is what Colt should be building! The only problem is that they won't (or can't) put the workmanship into the pistols as does Bob and his crew!

Look to Dan Wesson for their offerings. Remember, quality + price = value. All the foregoing + 1911 pistols = Dan Wesson Firearms! :cool:

Scott

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's funny how it works, luck of the draw I guess.

I have 2 majors (45 and 9) and an RZ, and the Patriot in 45ACP is the only gun that works right, and it works 100%.

So I don't know that the majors are necessarily the recipe for success here. It's a crap shoot.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
Re: These are GREAT!

Gunfandec154 said:
These 1911's are the "modern Colts" of the 21st century! This is what Colt should be building! The only problem is that they won't (or can't) put the workmanship into the pistols as does Bob and his crew.
Snip...
Scott
Give me a break Scott. I've collected Colts for over 18 years. NONE of them have had the small parts and QC issues that I've seen on numerous DWs.

How many Dan Wessons have you personally inspected Scott? I've checked out over 50 of them. I personally own 6 of them. I think my Dan Wesson sampling is probably much better than most.

Dan Wesson has a long way to go to put out the consistent quality product that Colt produces.

Regards,
Sam

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
gd2000.....

I personally inspected 7 Patriots from 1 shipment. All of them had some issues. I chose the one that had the least issues. It ended up going back to the factory.

When I chose my Majors, the choice was much easier because the QC was more consistent.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
248 Posts
The only DW that I have ever seen in person is the one that I own. It's a 10mm Major, and was purchased on a whim. My impression of it is quite favorable, and I believe that says a lot...considering that I am a former LEO, and was a Glock only kinda' guy before owning this pistol.
I have zero complaints regarding this weapon, although I must say that it was purchased used, and as I understand it...required some minor tweaking by a competent gunsmith before I got ahold of it. As it is now though..it is just as reliable as my old duty issue Glock with JHP ammo, and is infinately more accurate.
I can't offer any insight into other 1911 pistols, as I have no knowledge of any of them...although I have heard good and bad comments about many of them.
The major has made me a believer in the 1911 platform, and I will never be without this pistol so long as I am still breathing. As for other models in the DW lineup....I would have no concern about purchasing anything that tickled my fancy from them. In fact, I probably will make additional purchases from DW in the future.
When it comes to value....just look at the features that these things bring to the table. Dollar for dollar, you can't go wrong. Especially when you look at the number of complaints from owners of new 1911's that cost alot more. Plus, how many companies can you think of that actually have the head honcho's responding to customers' concerns on a major forum like this one?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: Re: These are GREAT!

SamColtFan said:
Dan Wesson has a long way to go to put out the consistent quality product that Colt produces.
I was going to to post a reply to scott's beer goggle post but figured someone more knowledgable would.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My reality is that Sam got it just about right....... and I've still not encountered the DW that has earned its asking price. :hrm:

I'll keep looking (at any model with an internal extractor that is), though....... just in case! :biglaugh:

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
AF......

When the Dan Wesson Seven is working as it should.....It's a pretty fine auto. It looks good too. If I ordered another it would be with the forged Patriot frame and not the cast frame that the Seven is normally built on.

Here's a shot of a Seven with the Patriot frame.

Regards,
Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Sam,

Looks alot like my trio of Kimber Target IIs (9mm, .38 Super, 10mm).

I prefer a forged frame as well. If I get to the show on Sunday, maybe I'll see one I like. (Not many dealers in the DFW area carry DWs though).

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
AF......
Even with the nicely done cast frame, the Seven is really a good value and it's quite nice looking. When I place my DW Seven next to my Colt XS Government.....you really can see that the exterior appearance of both pistols is just about identical. From an exterior and interior cosmetics standpoint...normally DW does an exceptional job. (Normally Colt does too.) Both pistols are goregeous. And yes, I'd love to see it in 38 Super like your Kimber.

It's my opinion that the Dan Wesson Seven is one of the best values that the company offers.

I hope you find one at a good price and it meets your standards. The Seven still tempts me when I see one.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
there is one on gunbroker for $570 buy now price. Brand new
Dan Wesson 7. the only problem is it only has a couple minutes
left. they may relist it. there is also a 7 aussie for $579. I didn't
think the aussie was a 7, I thought it was a major.

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
The Seven is a Pointman as is the Major and the Ausi. Just different model designations within the Pointman series of pistols.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts