1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about taking it apart and spray it and all parts down to bare metal, then give it a fresh relube. I use Pro-Shot Fouling Blaster occasionally that really strips off everything. Just wondering if there is anything about doing this that would be harmful to the firearm. I can't imagine since it is all metal parts.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
As others have said, could damage any coating(s) that may be present.

May I ask why you feel the need to douse your 1911 with such a strong cleaning/degreaser?

Did it fall into a mud puddle or septic tank?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is what I use... MSDS shows it to be almost identical to gun scrubber for 1/3 the price.

Supposedly the chlorinated version can be harmful to some finishes, but I've had no issues with hard chrome, blued, parked, or gunkoted guns with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May I ask why you feel the need to douse your 1911 with such a strong cleaning/degreaser?
I picked up a blue Remington that is particularly gunky and filthy, but otherwise appears to be in good shape. I just thought giving it a thorough fouling blast might be easier than the agony of complete disassembly and serious scrubbing. It was just a thought. I should really take it apart and do it the proper way.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Agony?

I view that as relaxing!

:rock:
I do too, but I keep things fairly clean. This has a lot of carbon buildup, and I have never completely disassembled a 1911. Just wondering what kind of gunk is in there I might not see that a fouling blaster might reach. I would certainly take it apart and remove the firing pin first. That's about as far as I go and my guns have never had a problem. This gun really doesn't have a problem, but it is excessively filthy by my standards.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Grab a Beer, sit down, put some good tunes on, and disassemble and hand clean your 1911. Inspect each part, take your time. Get to know your 1911 from the inside out.

Enjoy the moment and learn more about your Gun!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Grab a Beer, sit down, put some good tunes on, and disassemble and hand clean your 1911. Inspect each part, take your time. Get to know your 1911 from the inside out.

My approach too!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Absolutely. And this is the right gun for a newb to do it with, meaning it's not a super high-end boutique 1911.

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
I can't bring myself to use brake cleaner (chlorinated or non-chlorinated), gun scrubber, or fouling blaster, etc., or anything that is going to completely degrease the gun. If I'm trying to get something to stick, like sight paint or a new finish, I'd probably use it, but otherwise I spend quite a bit of time and money putting lube on my gun. I see no reason to take it all off.

If you are looking for something to spray all over your gun, try Ballistol or aerosol Break Free or some other aerosol CLP. Forum member Cappi is a fan of silicone spray. I haven't used it for gun cleaning, but I'd certainly use it before going the degreaser route.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner is what I use... MSDS shows it to be almost identical to gun scrubber for 1/3 the price.

Supposedly the chlorinated version can be harmful to some finishes, but I've had no issues with hard chrome, blued, parked, or gunkoted guns with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.
Non-chlorinated brake cleaners aka NC brake cleaners ingredients vary by brand and even lot number. Some are alcohol based while others smell like carb spray. I'm a auto tech and find none of the NC brake cleaners clean very well, have long drying times and leave a residue behind once dry. They are also flammable. Chlorinated brake cleaner has none of these problems.

I have not used gun scrubber in years but it smelled just like chlorinated brake cleaner way back then. The only reason NC brake cleaner exists is because chlorinated brake cleaner is bad for the ozone layer. I used to use chlorinated brake cleaner to clean my stainless guns and it worked well and was much cheaper than gun scrubber. Now days I use balistol to clean all my guns.

Best bet is to test any cleaning/ lubing product on a hidden area before trusting them.

BTW I can only use NC cleaner at work because the used oil recyclers will not accept oil with chlorinated solvents in it. Pisses me off.

Bill

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I'd use G96 or Ballistol if you're in doubt about the finish.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Use Gun Scrubber that's safe for synthetics. I hose all my guns down with it to get the worst parts off, then I go back and start cleaning by hand. Never had any problem with the synthetic safe Gun Scrubber.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Non-chlorinated brake cleaners aka NC brake cleaners ingredients vary by brand and even lot number. Some are alcohol based while others smell like carb spray. I'm a auto tech and find none of the NC brake cleaners clean very well, have long drying times and leave a residue behind once dry. They are also flammable. Chlorinated brake cleaner has none of these problems.

I have not used gun scrubber in years but it smelled just like chlorinated brake cleaner way back then. The only reason NC brake cleaner exists is because chlorinated brake cleaner is bad for the ozone layer. I used to use chlorinated brake cleaner to clean my stainless guns and it worked well and was much cheaper than gun scrubber. Now days I use balistol to clean all my guns.

Best bet is to test any cleaning/ lubing product on a hidden area before trusting them.

BTW I can only use NC cleaner at work because the used oil recyclers will not accept oil with chlorinated solvents in it. Pisses me off.

Bill
I concur. Non chlorinated brake cleaner is a joke. That's the last stuff I'll use to get something clean, oh wait, that's actually not true as my boss is such a cheap ass, we have to use those stupid refillable sure shot cans. That's the worst brake cleaner ever...I really miss the crc red can stuff.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
The joy of stainless. Shoot, blow it off with Shotgun Blast, scrub the stuborn spots, spray down with Rem oil, wipe, oil as needed with light machine oil or 10/30, whatever.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts