1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have a 1911 that does'nt have some kind of malfunction every time you go to the range? I fired 150 rnds of ball (3 types)had one stovepipe and one ftf. I've had every thing possible done and it will be something different everytime. Is one minor malfuntion per 100 rnds acceptable?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you had any work done on your gun or is it box stock?. Go to a gunsmith who specializes in 1911`s. It isn`t hard to do a reliability job on a .45. Good luck www.santurriltd.com

·
Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by J. Farley:
Is it possible to have a 1911 that does'nt have some kind of malfunction every time you go to the range. Is one minor malfuntion per 100 rnds acceptable?
Answering your questions in the order asked, yes and no. A properly setup 1911 should function with almost 100% reliability as long as it is kept reasonably clean and fed good quality ammo.-TR

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a new s.a. loaded. I have fired 700 rnds thru it. Had problems with clips first. Gun will sometimes be o.k. and then act stupid. have had 1911 smith take a look at it with some adjustments made. The gun is 99 percent reliable. I'm just used to my sig's which are 100 percent reliable. I just love the feel of a 1911.BTW I have a series 70 colt.
It also acts weird from time to time. Just bought a kimber royal carry but have not fired it yet. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Could you describe the problems you are seeing with a little more detail? Was the stovepipe with rim out or rim in? How was the cartridge positioned when you got the FTF?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Did your smith look at/tune the extractor?
Factory guns are notorious for not having the correct extractor tension out of the box.

I would also suggest getting some quality aftermarket mags (I like Wilson's), and see if that helps.

Make sure that your feedramp and breech face are smooth and free of any machining marks.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
J. Farley,
Call SA Customer Service and tell them your problem. They'll fix it. I have about concluded that any factory 1911 is going to need a trip back to the factory for reliability work.
Jerry

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes it is possible! I bought A 1991A1 Colt a few months ago NO problems I have shot all kinds of ammo, even used cheap mags. $7.00 cheap! not one problem! maybe I got lucky?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
had the extractor tuned and still had the above mentioned failures. The round would go about three quarter way in and jam. stove pipe was rim up. I had the chamber polished today and will try it again saturday. I miss my 220 I traded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
had the same problem with my SA Mil-Spec,had the ramp polished and put a wolf 18.5lb spring and firing spring, bought some Wilson grease and took it out to the range and no FTF, shot over 100 rounds. I am a happy camper now

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have a S.A. Mil.Spec. new out of the box was having a FTF problem. The round would hang up appx. 1/4 from going in the chamber fully. I shot 800 rounds of 230 grn. ball factory ammo using S.A. mags. this occurred appx. 15-20 times. There have been no ejection problems though. I sent it back to Springfield. They replaced and tuned the extractor, test fired it and sent it back to me. Turn around time for me 22 days. I haven't shot it yet. Maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lots of people think "extractor tuning" immediately when there are jams or misfeeds. Rarely do you hear "ejector"...it is a part that is even more critical. The shape of the ejector face will determine how the case is flipped out of the way, and at what angle. The loaded 1911's usually have an extended ejector, but most are not hand shaped and fit at all. My 2 cents worth...
Sparks

J

·
0 Posts
Yes, it is possible to have a 100% reliable 1911. I have two Kimber Customs and a Custom Shop Royl Carry. All were 100%. One Custom Classic has 20,000 rounds through it the other about 3,000. Last week both Classics’s started locking the slide open with ammo remaining in the mag. See my post here http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000257.html It turned out to be magazine related. Pistols are 100% again.

------------------
Guns are not dangerous! People are! RKBA!

homes.acmecity.com/rosie/happy/307/

[This message has been edited by Jerry (edited 04-16-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
karl h

just so ya know, your not lucky, cause my two 91A1"s work perfect too. turns out its not luck, its just a good made gun.

its amazing the people who don't seem to like colt 1991A1's because they are so plain. i think the plainness may have something to do with the fact that it works perfect.

NEVER MIND THE RATTLE EVERYTIME YOU SHAKE IT, ITS THE BANG EVERYTIME YOU SHOOT IT THAT COUNTS!!!!!

RUSSEL THE COP!

P

·
0 Posts
Check the breech face to determine whether it is dead smooth or slightly rough. It can be smoothed with an Arkansas stone or 600 grit wetordry.
Hang a loaded ball round under the extractor of your slide when it is off the frame. The round should resist bouncing up and down with some violence. (The scientific way is to use the pull tab and a pull scale.)
Check your extractor hook. If some genius has nibbled off some of it with a file, obtain a new Wilson and begin again.
Reaching, but try running your rounds through a taper crimp die that has been set to reduce the mouth .002" (measure an empty case.) MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE CRIMP DIE IS TAKING OUT ALL OF THE FLARE FROM THE CASE MOUTH.
Just stuff I have found in the wee, small hours of a sleepless night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts