1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of sending my 1911 off to have the slide and controls chromed. When I started doing searches for some pics of some Due-tone chrome on black 1911s only about 3% of the picks I found was what I was looking for. If I did find a due-tone it was reverse of what I was looking for. What's the deal? Would anyone mind posting some pics of there 1911 due-tone with a stainless/slide and black frame, unless that it really is taboo. :D

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Administrator
79,229 Posts
The *functional* reason for a blued upper/chromed lower is to reduce glare when sighting along the gun, but at the same time the frame is hard chromed to reduce wear/corrosion from persperation. Jeff Cooper liked to have his pistols set up this way, and he likely started the trend. Having a blued lower/chrome upper competely negates these advantages. Now, if it's a matter of looks have it your way. Nobody says you can't do whatever you want to your own gun!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Two tone 1911s are taboo :) unless functional, eg, you shoot two million rounds per annum, and you need a hard chromed frame, otherwise all the finish would be rubbed off by your hand from so much shooting, and you want the slide left dark so that reflection and glare from the slide top are minimized during sight acquisition.
And your name is Rob Leatham. Or Brian Enos. Or somebody else who shoots two million rounds every year. ;)

If you get that same pattern because "all the really cool guys have it", then you're a doofus. :p

And if you get a chromed or silver colored slide and a dark frame, well, then you're just silly. :barf:

Actually, it's YOUR gun, and you can do what you want. But serious 1911 aficianados will laugh at you.:rofl:

Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Kimber also makes them that way. I like the look, even if it's not very "functional".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The *functional* reason for a blued upper/chromed lower is to reduce glare when sighting along the gun, but at the same time the frame is hard chromed to reduce wear/corrosion from perspiration. Jeff Cooper liked to have his pistols set up this way, and he likely started the trend. Having a blued lower/chrome upper completely negates these advantages. Now, if it's a matter of looks have it your way. Nobody says you can't do whatever you want to your own gun!
Now that's an answer I was looking for.:cool: I figured there was a reason for so many due-tones having a black slide that I wasn't aware of and it make since too.

As far as having a chrome slide, I think that kind of duo-tone looks better. Also it seems that most holster wear happens on the slide and the controls more so than the frame. That and the fact that the chrome on black combo seems to be a minority, make it more appealing to me.

And if you get a chromed or silver colored slide and a dark frame, well, then you're just silly.
Well obviously some people have no sense of style:D ;)

PhantomRide,

That is one wicked cool pistola. :cool:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I can't figure out how to post pictures but I have the sexiest looking Wilson Combat Protector with a stainless slide and a black armor tuff Frame. The top of the slide has a bead blast finish so I don't really think that glare is an issue. The sides of the slide are polished.

Purdy sexy!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of finish is Kimber putting on those slides? Is it a brushed chrome or nickel?

BTW I heard back from Tripp today. They said they could chrome the slide, controles, hammer, and safeties and get it back to me for c-note.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Blackened frame and silver-colored-metal slide are the latest in tactical technology. The opponent's eyes are drawn immediately to the slide and away from the shooter's body parts. With a few deft movements in the proper lighting the slide glimmers and glows, creating a hypnotic effect that mesmerizes the opponent and renders him incapable of performing fine motor skills. A shooter who can torque the slide rapidly enough under exactly the right light lighting conditions may actually be capable of producing extreme euphoria in the opponent that renders him open to hypnotic suggestion. I guarantee it. Remember that you read it here first.

·
Registered
192 Posts
two-tone

Robert Hairless said:
Blackened frame and silver-colored-metal slide are the latest in tactical technology. The opponent's eyes are drawn immediately to the slide and away from the shooter's body parts. With a few deft movements in the proper lighting the slide glimmers and glows, creating a hypnotic effect that mesmerizes the opponent and renders him incapable of performing fine motor skills. A shooter who can torque the slide rapidly enough under exactly the right light lighting conditions may actually be capable of producing extreme euphoria in the opponent that renders him open to hypnotic suggestion. I guarantee it. Remember that you read it here first.
Since I expect for the average encounter to happen in the pitch of night, I'll have to design a tactically mounted flashlight that has a port to redirect a small beam of light onto the slide to take maximum advantage of this new technique.:cool:

But seriously the 1911 is one of the worlds greatest canvases, paint it your way.:rock:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
ITinker said:
Since I expect for the average encounter to happen in the pitch of night, I'll have to design a tactically mounted flashlight that has a port to redirect a small beam of light onto the slide to take maximum advantage of this new technique.:cool:

But seriously the 1911 is one of the worlds greatest canvases, paint it your way.:rock:
Aha! The stroboscopic effect. That's advanced stuff. :)

And, seriously, I agree with you about doing the 1911 your own way. I'm in favor of whatever makes the owner happy and doesn't hurt anyone else. John Moses Browning would have wanted it that way. I guarantee it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Robert Hairless said:
[...]I agree with you about doing the 1911 your own way. I'm in favor of whatever makes the owner happy and doesn't hurt anyone else. John Moses Browning would have wanted it that way. I guarantee it.
Unless it's "Christmas Edition" 1911 - doing that to a 1911 should be against the law. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Definately Taboo

Any 1911 that's multi-colored is obviously conflicted internally and will require many years of therapy to achieve it's ultimate accuracy. I'm sure that, once the gun resolves it's own conflicted notions of self image, it can become a great blaster... it just might take some time.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.