1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like others thoughts on if any of you would consider it justifiable to use deadly force in defending oneself should this happen.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes, if someone is attacking me I don't know the level of violence they intend to use, and if I hit my head on the pavement the wrong way I could be killed.....play a stupid game they can pay for it the hard way. It's the reason we carry CCW.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Condiering this is a violent attack by multiple bad guys resulting in severe injuries, and that is has been documented that death is a result from some of these attacks, you have a reasonable expectation of seriously bodily harm or death.

Use of Deadly Force has just been authorized

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
The little skum bags are doing it in NYC! Watched one of them hit a woman on the news. Have to be aware of your surroundings.Wait it's gonna get better when they do away with the stop and frisk.There be using more than there fists.The mayor elect is against stop and frisk! I got something for them!

\

·
Registered
334 Posts
IMO, definitely. An unprovoked violent attack is cause for drawing. If they persist, cause for firing. If sight of a gun causes them to run away, I would not shoot in the back, but if they don't knock me out in the first blow and I can get to my gun and he's determined win 'the game', I'll do my damnedest to see that he doesn't.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
If you think you see it coming, you don't have to draw. Just visibly get ready to.

A street creep seemed surprised that I did not back down when he threatened me. Then he noticed that my right hand was firmly in my pocket.

Then HE was the one who backed down. Thank god it didn't go further than that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Right ...but at what point? Cant draw just because someone is approaching you and after you are hit it may be too late.
Are you in fear of your life? RUN

Are you trapped with no where to go and your life is being threatened? DEFEND yourself

It all comes down to this: you have a reasonable expectation of seriously bodily harm or death.

Reasonable means what would a reasonable, rational thinking person consider to be a threat to their life?

Are they taunting you? then NO
Are you well aware of the "Knockout Game" and the results of being the "voluntary participant"? then MAYBE - you haven't been attacked - yet

Are you in fear of your life? Why?
This is a decision only YOU can make. You will have to answer for it in court, as well as in your own mind

Sometimes, there is no best answer.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
The only defense is to be aware of your surroundings. Thugs will most likely withdraw their attack after they been spotted. Most likely the victim never sees it in time to react.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't know it's a game, all I know is that someone has initiated a violent physical attack. If I am conscious and able to respond, I will.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
The little skum bags are doing it in NYC! Watched one of them hit a woman on the news. Have to be aware of your surroundings.

\
That is the entire point. They make sure you don't see them coming or they just peel off and seek a new victim. It's hard to have eyes in back of your head every moment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The little skum bags are doing it in NYC! Watched one of them hit a woman on the news. Have to be aware of your surroundings.Wait it's gonna get better when they do away with the stop and frisk.There be using more than there fists.The mayor elect is against stop and frisk! I got something for them!

\
Be aware and try to pay attention to the best of your ability.

BTW.... I think stop and frisk is (should be) illegal. It may work but at too high a price.
IMHO.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The attacks shown on the news give the victim no warning at all. There are no warning signs what would make even an situationally-aware person go to an elevated status of alert. It's nothing more than a mugging without subsequent robbery. If you are the victim, only hope the attacker doesn't run off with your weapon while you're unconscious.

Would you be justified using your weapon if you witnessed such an event? Probably not. You could defend yourself against retaliation for being a witness to a felony, or defend the victim if the assault were to continue beyond the first encounter. Be careful when it comes to being a good Samaritan. You may be justified in stopping a felony, but once the threat ends, so does any justification to use deadly force.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts