1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting some micarta stocks to replace the wood stocks on a couple of my 1911s. The wood works well, but I'd like to have an extra margin of safety between my hand and any cases that might rupture in my pistol. (Yes, I do know about the steel plates in the Pachmayrs. I've tried them and decided they aren't what I want.)

I wonder, though, if micarta gets slippery when wet, like a Glock grip. Does it? And does it get hot if exposed to the summer sun for long?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I hve several pairs of Micarta(tm) stocks on 1911's or have used them. It does not seem to get any hotter than any other stock material, well metal stocks would warm up more. The ones I have seem to have a little "tooth" to them and had not proven to be slippery when my hands were sweaty.

YMMV VWP NWEI NLIAS LS/MFT

------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of GOD, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If its polished, it can be slippery. Finished to 120-220 grit then bead blasted, and it gives a nice texture even when wet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a set of Navidrex black micarta (fully checkered)stocks I got from brownells on a Wilson CQB. They are not very pretty, but they are tough and very good. I have tried three other types of wood stocks and did not think the checkered wood had as much bite to it as the Navidrex micarta.

·
Registered
384 Posts
OK, Jim. I know the YMMV, and I'm old enough to remember LS/MFT. I'll bite, what's the stuff in the middle: VWP, NWEI & NLIAS?

------------------
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Void Where Prohibited.

No Warratee Expressed or Implied.

Not Legal In All States

TTFN CCBS

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Remember, Micarta is fabric (linen etc) impregnated with resin. When bead-blasted, it exposes some of the fibers, and when the stocks get wet/damp, they actually get grippier (based on my experience with bead blasted micarta knife scales). Checkered is nice too, and slightly fancier looking. Blasted has a nice low-key tactical look, imo.

------------------
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? (Who Shall Guard the Guards?)

The person formerly known as Covert Mission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts