1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are these measurements on your gov model 1911?

a. Distance from top of feed ramp on the frame to the verticle face in front of that ramp. Mine is .3".
b. Distance from the back of the "link protrusion" on the barrel to the the back/bottom of the barrel? Mine is 7/32"
c. Distance from the top of the feed ramp of the frame to the back of the barrel (when the slide is locked to the rear). Mine is about 1/16". (pretty tough to measure!)

Also, does the back of the "link protrusion" on your barrel make contact with the verticle face in front of the frame's feed ramp?

Thanks for the time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you having a problem or just curious? I don't know of anywhere those measurements are posted, though someone may.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I think that Jerry Kahnhausen's books list the demensions in questiuon.
http://www.gunbooks.com

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I ask is because when the slide is locked back, there's about 1/16" between the top of the frame's feed ramp and the bottom of the barrel throat. So it looks like a stair stepped typed of ramp up into the chamber. I've never seen a 1911 with so much distance between ramp and barrel.

Problems? Occasionally I get a FTF where the nose of the bullet gets wedged into the top of the chamber and the case head doesn't quite pop up under the extractor. The breech face is smooth and the extractor not overly tight. I'm not sure if the problem is related to the stairstepping effect I have, or if I should look elsewhere.

------------------
US Government motto:
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is."

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Problems? Occasionally I get a FTF where the nose of the bullet gets wedged into the top of the chamber and the case head doesn't quite pop up under the extractor.
[/B]
If your shooting reloads, you may want to look at the overall length...also what bullet "profile" are you shooting? Mine (PX9608) will shoot LSWC but the bullet needs to be fully seated (i.e. the "edge" of the bullet needs to be very close to the case mouth) otherwise, I'll get some of the FTF's that you descirbe. You also might try a different magazine if you've not already tried that.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I think A and C are related.
The angle is listed as 31.30'
the depth is not listed on the prints sets
I have. they have a distance from the slide stop back to the feed ramp. (at the angle listed)
.890 for 45 and .915 for 9mm
With agressive hollow points you probably want the feed ramp to start deeper.
We use .415 in our shop.
1/16 is a large gap from barrel to ramp.
geo ><>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vapors,

I'm shooting 225gr LSWC's. I'll try seating the bullets a bit deeper because I do have them out a bit long I think.

George,

Thank you. That's what I was curious about. 1/16" doesn't sound like much, but it really looks like a huge distance in there. It just doesn't look right at all!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tyler,
What's the history of the gun? Did you buy it second hand? It's just possible that some hack has "throated" the barrel and you have an unsafe situation. Any polishing on the feed ramp would make the gap smaller so you'd have to wonder if some material has been removed from the barrel.

I second the Kuhnhausen book recomendation.
I have volume two in my hand and the only relevent dimention I can find is .79 inch from the center of the cross pin hole to the edge of the feed ramp. If you have a set of calipers you could install the slide stop and then just subtract half the diameter of the pin to get an idea of were you are.

I'd worry about either the barrel throat or perhaps even that the rear stop serfaces on the lugs are oversized. If oversized then the barrel will stop before fully linked down. Any rounded corners on the locking lugs?

1911's are so simple aren't they!

Tony G.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased the gun new. Lugs look fine. Maybe you're right that someone got a little carried away when throating the barrel. I didn't notice any rounding of the barrel lugs. It's been returned to the factory, so we'll see what they say.

Thanks for the help.

------------------
US Government motto:
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts