1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the threads that I have been reading here are making me wonder if the little stainless Pro tle/rl that I have ordered is worth the money! The "decline of Kimber" tone and "QC questions" are bummin' me out. Somebody please reassure me about this soon-to-be-mine Kimber!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm sure it'll be more than fine. I had a problem with a CDP Ultra Carry that really Pis*** me off but it turned out to be an out of spec slide and they ended up replacing the gun. I've bought 3-4 more since then and they have all been 100% reliable. I carry an Ultra Raptor and it's been perfect so far, approx 1500 rounds in 4 months. You can't go wrong with Kimber

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Nobody is more "Pre Series II" than me, but I agree with Kruzr...give it a good workout. All the bitching you hear is a drop in the bucket considering the number of pistols that Kimber produces.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Tle Ii

Just bought A TLE Custom II fired it the first time this weekend did fine Kimber makes a fine piece you will be happy with it Form your own opinion Good Luck...........Pat

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
nineisfine,

Do not second guess you decision. All the internet chatter is just that. I own 6 Kimber 1911's- all Series II. I am very happy with them would buy more. Every manufacturer has problems. Let us know how yours shoots!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own the same gun. Go shoot it and get it broken in. I had a few problems initially. Mostly failures to feed. Sent it back and they ended up replacing the slide.

First thing you should do though is throw away the magazine they give you unless is its a kimber protac magazine. The one supplied with mine is garbage IMO and I eliminated tons of issues but using a better magazine.

Since I got it back I have not had a problem in my last 800 rounds. I need to test it with defensive ammo now I suppose but for FMJ it works very well.

Just get to know your gun. They are (or can be) particular I suppose. Mine hates wilson mags...loves the kimber protac mags. etc...you'll have to figure those things out. But I think thats the case with most firearms.

In the end I love this gun. I think you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I purchased one on the 1st week of December and have had 450 rounds of fmj though it without a single problem. I'm using both Kimber and Wilson Combat mags.

Due to the light rail, you may have trouble finding a holster that'll fit.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yeah, you'll be fine. If any of us based our next purchase on what we read on the internut, well we wouldn't never buy a gun from any manufacturer again!! We would also sell off all the guns we have in our collections because someone somewhere had a friend who's brother-in-law's great uncle's war buddy's cousin twice removed had a problem with a gun exactly like the one you have.

Get it, shoot it and take care of it. It will outlast you and you'll be happy to pass it down when the time comes. Worst case scenario...you have an issue with it and Kimber takes care of you. It doesn't matter if it's in 1 year or 10 years from now.

But wait, Kimber won't be in business that long. At least that's what I heard from a friend who's wifes cousin that lives in Timbucktoo heard from a gunshop owner who also happens to be a 'smith. That's why he don't carry Kimbers any more:biglaugh:!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another shout from the wilderness of happy Kimber owners. I bought my Custom II last spring for carry and competion. Carry was by default as I traded my carry gun for it. I have burned about 4k rounds so far, and only issues have been of my own making, playing with diff. mags, springs, lubes, etc. My Kimber feels good, runs good, and can darn well outshoot me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
New Kimber CDP II in November. Can not find a ding of flaw on it. Finish is great, not excited about the new safety system, but it works flawlessly. Accurate right out of the box. So far, only about 150 rounds, but not a single failure. Not one, which has been a surprise to me.
Barrel and linkage setup are very good. I like it when you can feel the slight restance and release of the link as you move the slide back.
So far this is a good one.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Nobody is more "Pre Series II" than me, but I agree with Kruzr...give it a good workout. All the bitching you hear is a drop in the bucket considering the number of pistols that Kimber produces.

There is wisdom in the post. Kimber makes somewhere around 75,000 pistols a year. If I am not mistaken.

One, they make and sell so many since they are doing something correct. Two, you will see problems in any line. This is especially true when making 75,000 pistols.

You should see the bitching when one sees a comment like, "for $3000 my problem is not acceptable".

Happens.

True story: Earlier this year (uh last year I mean), I was in the market for a new fun car. Went to Porsche. Walked the lot. Want to test drive a car. Damn thing wouldn't start. Does that make Porsche crap? Maybe the battery maker? Maybe the lot who didn't keep the battery charged or the car drive ready?

I ended up getting a BMW. Guess what? Three days after I got it, had to take it to the shop. It was throwing a code. Turns out it was faulty sensor. Does that make BMW crap?

Life is too short. Wait to actually have a problem before losing sleep over one.

Regards,
Greyson

P.S. I've had 5 Kimbers and all ran like scolded dogs. Still own two and will never sell them. And one is a series II! Go figure.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Based on the ATF stats, the highest production year Kimber had was 2000. These were Pre-Series II guns and they made 49,000.

The last year listed on ATF's website is 2005 when the number was 47,000.

They average about 45,000 a year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Relax, I'm new to 1911's and purchased the same pistol in 9/07. I had a few FTE issues but they resolved themselves after 500 - 600 rounds; which was also the time I started using Wilson ETM mags. I was told by more than a few people to take the mag that Kimber provides with the pistol and trash it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I purchased a Kimber in December also and so far it is trouble free. Shoots well, feeds well, great gun! You are going to like it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It came in! I like it! Shoots well, feels good, and quality/fit/finish seems excellent!

I'm gonna bobtail it, Alumagrip it, and 10-8 flat trigger it this week. Already got the 10-8 slidestop in it, which seems to slightly dislike chip M's 8rd power mags, but works fine with Tripps.

I'll post some pics when the work is done!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
:)I have a dozen, pre II and series II. Other than a minor extractor adjustment problem, have not had any problems to speak of, that were not brought on by ammo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts