1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,821 Posts
According to this, it looks like no--PA accepts permits from Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Texas, and Wyoming (by the way, packing.org is the bible for state by state concealed carry law information). It is, however, quick and easy (and only $20, for 4 years) to get an out of state permit from PA (I have one, despite living in IL, where we are not trusted with the means to defend ourselves). Here's the link to the part of packing.org that details that process. I applied to Centre County by mail, and had my permit in less than 2 weeks--Sheriff Nau is a PRINCE of an individual, and if you have any questions, he will help you out very quickly and cheerfully. You can also send me a PM (in addition to my own PA permit, many of my friends have one--it's one of the best ways for an Illinois resident to be able to carry in MO, IN, KE, and other nearby states).

P.S. Welcome to the forum, Sergeant.

· Registered
4,821 Posts

· Registered
1,617 Posts
I have the Pa non res permit.
Centre county has gotten pressure from the AG of NJ and now dont issue to NJ peasants anymore. :grumble: Why he cares about what NJ politicians think is beyond me!
I'm fortunate enough to have gotten mine before this happened.
You could also go the New Hampshire route.
The Florida permit is worth the $$$ as it's good in a LOT of states.
Eric

· Registered
4,821 Posts
ctrmass said:
You could also go the New Hampshire route.
Eric
Good point. I'd forgotten about NH, because I couldn't that first--to get a non-resident NH permit, you have to already have a permit from at least one state (which may or may not be your home state). If you already have a NY permit, you can get the NH permit for $20.

Here's a link to the NH permit application, plus contact information, and where to send the completed application: Click here for info
Fill it out and send it to:
Division of State Police
Permits and Licensing Unit
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
Phone: (603) 271-3575
Fax: (603) 271-1153

· Registered
1,617 Posts
Utah is another one that I THINK is honored in Pa. As said before, check packing.org.
It can be gotten by taking an online Ut approved course.
I'll see if I can dig up a link.
Eric

Edit: cant find the link I had. Besides, further research shows Utah isnt any good in Pa. Sorry.

· Registered
1,617 Posts
I just had a thought. My Dad lived in NY about 20 years ago, and as I remember it NY had different "grades" of CCW's.
I think you'd have to have an "unrestricted" CCW for it to be good in other states. At the very least, this should be investigated.
Just a thought.......
Eric

· Registered
4,821 Posts
Unfortunately, according to http://www.safearms.com/utah/index.html, Utah has closed the online training "loophole":
The ONLINE-ONLY version of the Utah CCW Course (without classroom attendance or other in-person instruction) is no longer available as of May 1, 2005 due to a change in wording of Utah law. No problems were indicated by the agency that issues the Utah CCW permit and they referred students to our online program. Our online program had their full approval and support. Students all over the country, as well as US military personnel stationed outside of the US, successfully completed our Online-only Utah CCW course and obtained their permit. If you would like to express your support for this online pathway to the Utah CCW permit, which was restricted to those students with qualifying handgun experience, please fee free to let us know and we'll send you an email link for the agency in Utah.

· Registered
57 Posts
Eric, you are right about having to have a unrestricted NYS license to get a non-res PA LTC. My wife and self, both have NYS LTC(unrestricted), and PA. One of the requirements on the PA application instructions state this. I have read on Packing.org, about people getting Non-res licenses from Centre County with a restricted NY(to and from the range), but I don't know how, as PA law is the same for the entire state?

FourFive

· Registered
1,324 Posts
I was told that Pennsylvania accepts nys ccw anyone else know?

Gotta be carefull with the word "unrestricted"?
No Upstate Pistol Permit is valid in the Apple or in some of the "close to" County's. Varies a lot from County to County and depends on which "Judge Dread" handles the application. If it's not filled out just right he may well give only the bare minimum. Most allow Permits to be ammended but getting that done varies in difficulty too.
My PA Permit is with Denny Nau also and he does treat his Northern neighbors right as mentioned! Went that route as at the time, many other PA County's were begining to require you to be present for a photo, FWIW.

It's been awhile but called their Sheriff's office a few times and don't recall them ever stipulating the need for other than a valid NYS Permit?

· Registered
57 Posts
White Spider, I'm looking at the back of my license, and it says "2. If issued outside New York City, not valid to carry a weapon in New York City unless approved by the police commissioner of that city." That means: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten island, Queens. It's good in every other county in NYS.

FourFive

· Registered
1,617 Posts
FourFive said:
I have read on Packing.org, about people getting Non-res licenses from Centre County with a restricted NY(to and from the range), but I don't know how, as PA law is the same for the entire state?

FourFive
Yes it is, however it's up to each county to issue, and interpit the laws.
Philly likes to think it's special, and claims the Pa state permit in no good there.
NOT SO!!!
In fact I'm going there tonight and I'll be taking the 228. :p
Eric

PS My Dad was in St Lawrence cty, and he had the unrestricted license.
He later moved to Cortland cty, and never renewed it, but was told the judge there would be a hardass about it if did decide to renew. College towns :mummy: .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts