1911Forum banner
161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
So how many folks do you think can learn to drive by starting out with a top fuel dragster or a NASCAR cup car or maybe a GT-40 road racer.

It goes both ways.
We're not talking about a top fuel dragster, a 550 is like a ford mustang in this comparison. If you take 5 minutes and set up each die to the instructions, it is NOT rocket science to load a cartridge.

In all seriousness, if you can read and follow basic instructions, setting up a 550 is about as involved as setting up an electric razor. I went from opening the box to loading quality 45 acp ammo in less than an hour. And that was having never loaded ammo before and with a few cups of coffee while setting up and studying the process/taking measurements, etc..

The danger in loading ammo is in the powder charge and OAL... whether SS or progressive, you are SUPPOSED TO CHECK those in either. So there is not safety difference as long as you do your part... the latter just saves you pulls.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
You may have misunderstood what I wrote.
I didn’t say or mean I shoot more since I reload. I reload because I wanted to, not to shoot more or save money. My inventory was and is fine actually. If anything, I’ve been able to keep more on hand or load what I want And use most.
Ahhhh, I just used your example to lead Into the continual argument from some that say you can’t save money. Not directed at you since you obviously get it. Some people have the damndest time comparing apples. They think once you load your own, that you go to the range every day.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Some people have the damndest time comparing apples. They think once you load your own, that you go to the range every day.
One benefit is that you CAN go every day, if you choose!

Reactions: boatdoc

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
We're not talking about a top fuel dragster, a 550 is like a ford mustang in this comparison. If you take 5 minutes and set up each die to the instructions, it is NOT rocket science to load a cartridge.

In all seriousness, if you can read and follow basic instructions, setting up a 550 is about as involved as setting up an electric razor. I went from opening the box to loading quality 45 acp ammo in less than an hour. And that was having never loaded ammo before and with a few cups of coffee while setting up and studying the process/taking measurements, etc..

The danger in loading ammo is in the powder charge and OAL... whether SS or progressive, you are SUPPOSED TO CHECK those in either. So there is not safety difference as long as you do your part... the latter just saves you pulls.
I couldn't have said it better. I know several people who had never loaded before who started with a 650 and had no problems. Most of them started by running one case at a time around the press. That normally didn't last long. With an RCBS Lock-Out die on the press, something I recommend and use when loading pistol ammo, there's nothing to worry about. Powder level is checked by something that makes it very clear there's a problem.

The rest of it is just pulling the handle and placing a bullet.

I know more people that have had a kaboom loading on a single stage than a properly set up progressive. Small charges of Tite-boom in large revolver cases are normally the cause. It's very easy to double charge one or even a row on a loading block and very hard to visually see the double charge.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Ahhhh yes, pistol cases in a loading block.......
Makes me cringe.....does bring back memories of being a kid though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So have I got this right? You folks are saying you load on a progressive because you don't trust yourself to load safe ammo on a single stag press? Sorry, I'm a little slow on the uptake at times. I thought we were talking about helping someone just starting out loading in this panic buying period to find equipment to load on.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
So have I got this right? You folks are saying you load on a progressive because you don't trust yourself to load safe ammo on a single stag press?
I think you misread or misunderstood.... I only said the two biggest problem areas (in any reloading set up) are powder charge and OAL, both of which should be checked by the loader, whether SS or progressive. BG pointed out that sometimes the load block set up is ripe for a double or a missed charge, depending on your layout and process.

Some said you need to learn on a SS but many of us learned on a progressive and had no issues.

I love bench time but I load on a progressive because I have a wife and family.... I can easily do [safely] in an hour, what a SS does in 4-5 hours.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
My mind began contemplation of a more efficient route after the first 5 hours of loading on a SS. Too bad the stupid internet wasn’t around to save me from the mistake(s) of a Lee Progressive. There were no “reviews” posted of people’s disgust. Anyway, if you are not retired and like to shoot a lot, a SS gets old in a hurry!

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
My mind began contemplation of a more efficient route after the first 5 hours of loading on a SS. Too bad the stupid internet wasn’t around to save me from the mistake(s) of a Lee Progressive. There were no “reviews” posted of people’s disgust. Anyway, if you are not retired and like to shoot a lot, a SS gets old in a hurry!
Nitro, my story is similar to yours. Started on a Lee "turret" press bought at a garage sale. Thought I'd try my hand at reloading. Some RCBS .38spl dies came with the press. After about 50 rounds or less (and being a mechanical engineer) decided there just had to be a better way. Pre-internet. No google. Found a Lee vs Dillon article in one of the gun mags I subscribed to. Called Dillon and ordered a SDB. Didn't like the proprietary dies. As I added more calibers, moved up to a 550. Few years later and 2nd 550 (small/large primers :)). Few years late...650 w/case feeder. Ah....heaven. :)

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
I wish I would have come across an article or two stating the true difference. All I looked at was price at the time. Without a doubt, one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my life!

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I wish I would have come across an article or two stating the true difference. All I looked at was price at the time. Without a doubt, one of the biggest mistakes I have made in my life!
About 15 years ago I decided to move to a progressive press. I decided to go with a Hornady LnL AP, partly due to the 1000 free bullets.

I should have known better. I poured a lot of money down that big red hole and was never satisfied with the result.

In 2014 I was offered a 650, still in the box, for $200. My wife was against the purchase. I bought it anyway.

In 2015, after moving to Texas and getting settled in I decided to set that 650 up. Within 10 minutes of getting it mounted and running I knew I had made a HUGE mistake with the Hornady.

I sold the three Hornady LnL presses I had on hand. In 2018 I decided to part with an HK 91 I had bought in 1989 and hadn't shot in almost 25 years. I paid $430 for that HK 91. I sold it for $2700 and turned around and bought another complete 650.

Right now I'm happier than a fat kid at an all you can eat buffet. I've got two 650 systems running on the bench, a Star lube sizer to size my cast bullets, two RCBS Pro-Melt pots, over 100 molds, and everything else I need to cast and coat my own bullets and load them.

Now if primer prices would come back to earth I'd be in heaven.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
You’re set! The part I like the best though is:

😆 Love it!
I don’t even ask.......
She was standing there when Art offered it to me.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Wow, did she smack you with her purse 💥?
My wife knows darn well I would go back and get it, but I’m not gonna flip her off right in front of the guy!😆😆

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
So have I got this right? You folks are saying you load on a progressive because you don't trust yourself to load safe ammo on a single stag press? Sorry, I'm a little slow on the uptake at times. I thought we were talking about helping someone just starting out loading in this panic buying period to find equipment to load on.
Persons starting out loading pistol ammunition on a SS press is, IMHO, a waste of money because in no time they will realize they should have purchased a progressive. Match grade rifle ammo by all means SS.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
That’s the point.....yer gonna need one anyway, so you might as well start there......
Maybe. But if you aren't a decap first & wet tumble kind of guy, and don't load rifle, then starting with just a 550 or 750 will be A-OK.

I only started w/ a SS because I started collecting brass and decapping/cleaning about a year before I started reloading. Loaded 45acp on a 550 for 2 years (ish) before branching out to a Co-Ax and some rifle ammo....

161 - 180 of 187 Posts