1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
From where did you hear this?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Now I'll piss off some folks, the Hi Power probably feels better in the hand than any other pistol ever made. AND, after you say that there really isn't much more you can say for it. Out of the box they all have a terrible trigger, they aren't particularly accurate [ run of the mill ] and a 9mm is a bit anemic . One in 40S&W would be much better but there have been problems with the frames cracking. I've owned 2 9mm Hi Powers, sold 1 and gave the other one to my son [ he loves it ]. Actually would like another one but damn if I know why !

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had one of the made somewhere and assembled somewhere else versions. Do not remember the specifics. It had a horrible trigger but was very accurate with the cheap Chinese Norinco ammo.
Lucky

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I don’t see anything pointing to BHP. Unless the photo of JMB is the clue….

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I don’t see anything pointing to BHP. Unless the photo of JMB is the clue….
1935 on the clock next to JMB’s pic and there appears to be what could be a hi power frame on the bench to his right.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Odd's are they'll do the same thing Charles Daly did, import foreign made parts (from Turkey this time instead of FEG) and put them together here.

I'll wait and see. I was very unimpressed with the Tisa copy. The extractor broke on mine after 3000 rounds and they wouldn't send me a replacement....and modified the design enough were a FN made one never worked right.

Sad part is before the thing broke I liked the pistol, fit and finish were nice.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The HP was a fine and accurate pistol until the Bean Counters farmed out assembly to Portugal. Same with the other Browning guns. Back in early 70s tested Colt 1911, Smith 39 and HP. They were brand new and bought same day. HP was most accurate off bags but worst sights. Colt was not as accurate but easier to shoot off hand. The S&W 39 was easiest to shoot and had adj sights. The Colt would shoot anything you stuck in it. Some foreign military 9mm had hard that HP & m39 would not fire.
I always hold out for the original model, regardless of what it is. You end up chasing them with more money to get them to shot than going for original in first place.

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
Now I'll piss off some folks, the Hi Power probably feels better in the hand than any other pistol ever made. AND, after you say that there really isn't much more you can say for it. Out of the box they all have a terrible trigger, they aren't particularly accurate [ run of the mill ] and a 9mm is a bit anemic . One in 40S&W would be much better but there have been problems with the frames cracking. I've owned 2 9mm Hi Powers, sold 1 and gave the other one to my son [ he loves it ]. Actually would like another one but damn if I know why !
I agree to a point. The CZ75 feels pretty good too along with the 1911.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't agree. Portuguese are serious and hard working peoples.
What does that have to do with quality of Browning guns? They moved assembly to Portugal to cut cost. The parts are assembled as required, No more Belgian fit and finish. Browning HP, BAR, ect all aren’t the gun they used to be. It’s the reason the originals are sought after and bring same or more than new models from Portugal. Chinese people work their butts off, They produce junk. That is their job, not their fault. Other old European brands are being farmed out to Portugal. Same think, substandard to original products.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Now I'll piss off some folks, the Hi Power probably feels better in the hand than any other pistol ever made. AND, after you say that there really isn't much more you can say for it. Out of the box they all have a terrible trigger, they aren't particularly accurate [run of the mill] and a 9mm is a bit anemic. One in .40 S&W would be much better but there have been problems with the frames cracking. I've owned 2 9mm Hi-Powers, sold 1 and gave the other one to my son [he loves it]. Actually would like another one but damn if I know why!
I'm still waiting for the part that's supposed to piss me off. FRANKLY, I think you've described the P-35 (for some reason, it's difficult for me to describe any 9x19mm as "Hi-Power") very well. Except for failing to cuss the magazine disconnect (which oft contributes to "terrible trigger"), you've overlooked nothing that I can see.
The P-35's "so-so" accuracy is an understandable shame, but the pistol was built for battle, not bullseye PPC competition. John Browning's "magnificent man stopper", the 1911(A1) is a pistol, similarly built for battle, that also HAPPENS to be quite tune-able for excellent precision. It's NICE that they're like that, but not, by any means, a design constraint. "Spillover benefit" is what the economists call that, I believe...
If a P-35 feeds and ejects reliably, and groups 5 of 5 rounds inside a small coffee cup saucer at 25 yards, that is half-again the accuracy that someone seeking to defend their life will probably ever need. Smaller groups are always desirable, except at the cost of reliability, but "minute of gallon milk-jug" will certainly get us by.
I'd be hesitant to FULLY agree with "feels better in the hand than than any other pistol ever made", but they certainly DO feel good! I'd unhesitatingly rank the P-35's "grip" as being in the top 5 of auto pistols YET made.
If I was issued a P-35 and, for some reason, forbidden to carry my 1911A1, I'd feel FAR from "unarmed" (though MY pistol's M.D. would "mysteriously disappear" very quickly). I can deal with the P-35's trigger far better than I can the ones found on any Glock (the concept of which strikes me as similar to leaving the combination to a vault directly above its dial) or pistols with similar triggers. The "safety" simply DOES NOT belong there!
All "Glockers" should now feel free to lambaste me, if it'll prevent their livers from hiccupping. <shrug>

GIRSAN and TISAS allegedly build P-35s for exportation to the U.S., though I've seen neither in a store, to date. Last word from EAA about the Girsan MCP35 was that it should be available "by the end of the year". If Springfield Armoury decides to produce (reassemble?) them for sale in a shorter time frame + for similar money, I'D buy one. If neither of these conditions obtain, I'd STILL consider the purchase of an SA P-35, just because.

·
Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
264 Posts
With the historical ties of SA to South America - a BHP made by FM would be as easy as a lettering change.

Reactions: RMLamey

·
Registered
103 Posts
It’s a vicious slope, when original maker farms out to cheap labor, product suffers. Then some outfit makes a clone that is now better quality than ones under original label. Then the Clone manf seeks cheap labor. It don’t end. Portugal is probably cheapest in Europe. The next logical step would be South America, then Asia. Wont be long before RedChinese get some industry organized in Africa.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I own two Inglis and one commercial High Power. The commercial was made in Belgium in 1981 and is in 7.65mm Parabellum or .30 Luger. It was part of a special order by Ron Shirk and I bought it new in 1988. My idea at the time was to find a 9mm upper slide and barrel assembly so I could swap calibers. I had to scrap the idea because the slide and frame for the .30 Luger High Power is not the same as the 9mm. The pistol, seen below, is till 99.9%.

Criticism of the High Power's accuracy is somewhat misplaced IMO. The pistol was devised as a combat arm and not a target pistol and for it's intended purpose, it's more than acceptable. While the trigger in many cases could be better, my only real criticism of the pistol is the magazine disconnect. I've never understood the rational for a magazine disconnect. If I have only one cartridge left and no magazine in the gun, I still want to be able to fire that last round.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
1935 on the clock next to JMB’s pic and there appears to be what could be a hi power frame on the bench to his right.
Hope you’re right, but might be a bit of a stretch, that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I own two Inglis and one commercial High Power. The commercial was made in Belgium in 1981 and is in 7.65mm Parabellum or .30 Luger. It was part of a special order by Ron Shirk and I bought it new in 1988. My idea at the time was to find a 9mm upper slide and barrel assembly so I could swap calibers. I had to scrap the idea because the slide and frame for the .30 Luger High Power is not the same as the 9mm. The pistol, seen below, is till 99.9%.

Criticism of the High Power's accuracy is somewhat misplaced IMO. The pistol was devised as a combat arm and not a target pistol and for it's intended purpose, it's more than acceptable. While the trigger in many cases could be better, my only real criticism of the pistol is the magazine disconnect. I've never understood the rational for a magazine disconnect. If I have only one cartridge left and no magazine in the gun, I still want to be able to fire that last round.
It’s no problem to remove magazine disconnect. More PIA to put them back in. I have a HP by FN that is a target pistol, straight from factory. SIG 210 is suppose to be most accurate 9mm. Maybe so but this one shoots well enough to hunt squirrels. At 71yrs old I doubt a 210 would benefit me.

View attachment 619289

1 - 20 of 144 Posts