1911Forum banner
81 - 100 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
The manual of arms is at least as important to me: accustomed clearing a pistol; aiming at the target and a final trigger press before removing from the line. If only for my own use, I'd be willing to disable the M.D. ... but not for student use. Not because less safe: because lawyers.
Sorry, I think we're talking past each other. I'm not referring to the magazine disconnect safety, which has always been on the P35. I'm referring to the firing pin safety that only appears on MkIII guns.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sorry, I think we're talking past each other. I'm not referring to the magazine disconnect safety, which has always been on the P35. I'm referring to the firing pin safety that only appears on MkIII guns.
So come out with it...what's your beef?

·
Registered
991 Posts
So come out with it...what's your beef?
Oh, nothing that really makes any sense. It's just a purity of design thing. Remember when Winchester made about 650 trillion 94s, and everyone loved them, and then that one super special moron tied his loaded 94 to a length of rope and tried to pull it up into a tree with him and he managed to get the gun to fire because he's stupid and then overnight Winchester decided that their timeless design needed to incorporate a rebounding hammer and a sliding tang safety and a crossbolt safety?

Because I remember that. And that's kind of akin to adding FPS systems to 1911s and Hi Powers. It's literally the distilled essence of a litigious society transferred into mechanical form. It's an insult to the designer and to all of us end users who DIDN'T lick the windows of our school bus growing up. It adds additional headache to routine maintenance, and thanks to St. Murphy it's a great way to make problems where there used to be none.

Whew! Well, like I said.....nothing that really makes any sense. 😁

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Oh, nothing that really makes any sense. It's just a purity of design thing. Remember when Winchester made about 650 trillion 94s, and everyone loved them, and then that one super special moron tied his loaded 94 to a length of rope and tried to pull it up into a tree with him and he managed to get the gun to fire because he's stupid and then overnight Winchester decided that their timeless design needed to incorporate a rebounding hammer and a sliding tang safety and a crossbolt safety?

Because I remember that. And that's kind of akin to adding FPS systems to 1911s and Hi Powers. It's literally the distilled essence of a litigious society transferred into mechanical form. It's an insult to the designer and to all of us end users who DIDN'T lick the windows of our school bus growing up. It adds additional headache to routine maintenance, and thanks to St. Murphy it's a great way to make problems where there used to be none.

Whew! Well, like I said.....nothing that really makes any sense. 😁
Maybe you should stick to older guns ;)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm pretty sure current 92's in .454 have an additional safety that wasn't on the original. 19ontheslide doesn't do that (and I find them distasteful as well).

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Ya, like a Rossi m92 replica in .454♡.
Actually, do your practice and plinking with .45 colt. Cause the .454 will eventually stretch the frame. Is why they ceased the .454 chambering. But, Winchester now makes a sweet m92 lever action♡. In 30-30 and .45 colt.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Actually, do your practice and plinking with .45 colt. Cause the .454 will eventually stretch the frame. Is why they ceased the .454 chambering. But, Winchester now makes a sweet m92 lever action♡. In 30-30 and .45 colt.
Henry replica leverguns as well as handgun replicas from Uberti are selling all they can manufacture...cause purists hate the lawyer guns so much!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Shoot 124gr NATO ammo in other 9mm's contemporary to the HP and you'll begin to realize it was one of the toughest 9mm's made in WW2. Lugers, you'll end up breaking the upper receiver at the locking recesses.
Can you explain what the "locking recesses" on a Luger are? I'm unfamiliar with the term or what it means.

I agree that NATO 9mm in a Luger is a really BAD idea. The original Luger cartridge was 115 grains at 1050 fps although over the years they made others.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Can you explain what the "locking recesses" on a Luger are? I'm unfamiliar with the term or what it means.

I agree that NATO 9mm in a Luger is a really BAD idea. The original Luger cartridge was 115 grains at 1050 fps although over the years they made others.
Yeah I'm an idiot...not sure what I was thinking there.

On a Luger upper they sometimes show hairline cracks on the thin part where the trigger bar goes.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I wonder how much of the P35's historical record of lack of durability (no doubt deserved) was due to the softness of the steel used in their production. I've read a handful of blurbs by folks who know a great deal about Hi Powers, and to a man they all are in agreement that everything made before the MkIII was quite noticeably soft. Great to preserve the life of your tooling but maybe not the way to make the most robust pistol you can.

Then of course came the cast frame Hi Powers, which although derided by old people who refuse to learn new facts about metallurgy, have been borne out over time as indeed being stronger (harder? more resilient? I don't know) than their forged frame forerunners.

IF SA is indeed bringing the P35 out again, and IF they make it with an improved metallurgy (whether that means cast, or machined out of better steel or heat treated better or whatever) I certainly think it is possible for them to bring one out that might walk all over the originals durability wise. And that would be a neat gun to own.

P.S. No firing pin safety, please.
The cast frames did prove to be more robust and were the frames that were able to stand up to .40 S&W when the original frames could not.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The cast frames did prove to be more robust and were the frames that were able to stand up to .40 S&W when the original frames could not.
Yup and they went to a cast frame not because a forged frame would not work they did it because the cast frame would be cheaper to produce at the required hardening. IMHO the BHP in 40 S&W is a terrible gun. The balance is off. The recoil impulse is bad and it still batters itself more than any of the 9mm versions. They only did it to try to get US LEO contracts which never happened. It was a waste of time money and R&D.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Silly. The CZ75 has a cruddy safety and a yucky DA trigger. Tried one once and my Browning Hi-Power MK III in 40 S&W shot better. I really hated the feel of the tang in my hand. Then again, my last Browning Hi Power MK III 9mm had a terrible trigger that was 12-13 pounds. I suspect both the CZ and MK III would have been just fine after visiting a gunsmith.

This is the best part of gun ownership in the USA (except California and soon Maryland with their handgun rosters): there is a gun for everyone.
CZ has evolved. They have the finest thumb safety now. Compared to a 1911, it's far easier and faster to turn off. Way more comfortable to ride. More solid, no crunch or wiggle when you ride it hard. The trade off? It's much harder to turn on than the 1911's.

CZ Ts2 used for reference.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First Let me tell you where I'm coming from in regard to the Browning Hi-Power. I was a proud owner of a Mark II, the late '80s upgraded model of the original Hi-Power with the ambidextrous thumb safeties, nylon grips, 3-dot sights, and throated barrel. I had the gun 'smithed by none other than the renowned Jim Garthwaite in the mid 90's.
So, while I no longer own that gun, I feel very qualified to comment on the BHP and some of it's severe limitations.
-----------
The Pro's

The grip feel and pistol profile are excellent. It has a nearly universal gripframe size and shape that can work with many different user hand sizes.
The guns are usually highly reliable out of the box. Highly. Good magazine design and newer guns digest most hollowpoints.
Accuracy tends to be good but not great.
Easy takedown.

Cons

Weak barrel lug prone to shearing which is why the guns have a 2-piece barrel. It is actually a strengthening measure to use a steel with opposing grain structure from the tube. This is why Bar-Sto aftermarket barrels are also two piece.

Lame ass trigger - Perfectly adequate for a combat pistol but hard to refine for precision shooting. The entire trigger linkage on the BHP is an abomination unto the eyes of the Lord. Depending on which book of the Apocrypha you believe, it's either an evil Frog meddling with JMB's design, or a near-death JMB having to design around his own patents. Not even Pedersen ever designed a linkage so Byzantine!

Slide and frame tend to loosen quickly and because of the sear linkage system; you will see or feel the slide move when you pull the trigger. Its a fact of the design.
A frame rail insert system would benefit the P-35.

No steady diet of +P ammo in the BHP. Seriously.
----------

I'm sorry if I hurt some feelings here. I don't mean to denigrate the Hi Power; it is very much a viable defensive pistol, especially by those willing to dedicate sufficient training time on it. I liked the BHP for many years, but now I moved on. Moved on to what you ask? Something in the tupperware aisle? No! John Moses Browning's other design, the 1911 in 9mm. And Springfield Armory does the 9mm 1911 very well indeed. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
If they do make it, my hopes are:

1) Please NOT made in Turkey. Made in USA!!! Id pay extra for that.
2) NO flaming bomb, crossed canons or other god awful logo on any part of the pistol. Just recreate the original style script on the pistol with Springfields info.
3) Put the serial number somewhere other than the front strap.
4) Novak dovetails for front and rear sights.

Im seriously doubting they will get it right in my eyes.

Reactions: TXGR

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
my question: if they do get it 'right', will they make it available? thinking master class vickers here.

81 - 100 of 156 Posts