1911Forum banner
101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
First Let me tell you where I'm coming from in regard to the Browning Hi-Power. I was a proud owner of a Mark II, the late '80s upgraded model of the original Hi-Power with the ambidextrous thumb safeties, nylon grips, 3-dot sights, and throated barrel. I had the gun 'smithed by none other than the renowned Jim Garthwaite in the mid 90's.
So, while I no longer own that gun, I feel very qualified to comment on the BHP and some of it's severe limitations.
-----------
The Pro's

The grip feel and pistol profile are excellent. It has a nearly universal gripframe size and shape that can work with many different user hand sizes.
The guns are usually highly reliable out of the box. Highly. Good magazine design and newer guns digest most hollowpoints.
Accuracy tends to be good but not great.
Easy takedown.

Cons

Weak barrel lug prone to shearing which is why the guns have a 2-piece barrel. It is actually a strengthening measure to use a steel with opposing grain structure from the tube. This is why Bar-Sto aftermarket barrels are also two piece.

Lame ass trigger - Perfectly adequate for a combat pistol but hard to refine for precision shooting. The entire trigger linkage on the BHP is an abomination unto the eyes of the Lord. Depending on which book of the Apocrypha you believe, it's either an evil Frog meddling with JMB's design, or a near-death JMB having to design around his own patents. Not even Pedersen ever designed a linkage so Byzantine!

Slide and frame tend to loosen quickly and because of the sear linkage system; you will see or feel the slide move when you pull the trigger. Its a fact of the design.
A frame rail insert system would benefit the P-35.

No steady diet of +P ammo in the BHP. Seriously.
----------

I'm sorry if I hurt some feelings here. I don't mean to denigrate the Hi Power; it is very much a viable defensive pistol, especially by those willing to dedicate sufficient training time on it. I liked the BHP for many years, but now I moved on. Moved on to what you ask? Something in the tupperware aisle? No! John Moses Browning's other design, the 1911 in 9mm. And Springfield Armory does the 9mm 1911 very well indeed. ;)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
991 Posts
my question: if they do get it 'right', will they make it available? thinking master class vickers here.
I hope that's not the route they're going to go. I would have a tough time understanding how they can crank out a very decent no-frills 1911 for 7 bills and not be able to do something similar with the Hi Power. Maybe they'll do two tiers; one a lustrous polished blue with adjustable sights that comes with a complimentary diaper to rub it with after the owner finishes showing it off, and one with a flat, bead blasted blue and fixed sights for people who pay taxes.🤔

·
Registered
19 Posts
Now I'll piss off some folks, the Hi Power probably feels better in the hand than any other pistol ever made. AND, after you say that there really isn't much more you can say for it. Out of the box they all have a terrible trigger, they aren't particularly accurate [ run of the mill ] and a 9mm is a bit anemic . One in 40S&W would be much better but there have been problems with the frames cracking. I've owned 2 9mm Hi Powers, sold 1 and gave the other one to my son [ he loves it ]. Actually would like another one but damn if I know why !
Concur from the first time I shot a high power it was love at first shot. Fits perfectly in my paws like no other firearm. And it shot beautifully...went & got one the next day that was in 71...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've currently got a MkIII, and have had four or five MkII's and originals. I'd only be interested if:
1. It's got a FPS. Carry gun in that format (no grip safety, marginal material on engagement surfaces of thumb safeties) needs (for ME) a FPS
2. A beavertail. The 'no-bite' mods work to an extent, but for a really high grip it'll still bite me. I have a permanent scar on my right hand, between thumb and index finger, from 10K rounds or so through a BHP.
3. Stippling. A stock HP is too round and slick for a carry gun, although it's heavenly in its proportions.
4. Beefed-up lock up; I'd like the extra barrel lug of the .40 in a 9, since the 9 is basically a 'no/very little' +P gun, and the only way to optimize a 9 as a carry gun (to ME) is +P ammo.
5. Stainless or nitride or similar. Won't carry a gun that will rust anymore.

Do that and I'll be all over that like nobody's business.

Larry

·
Registered
11 Posts
For the "anemic 9mm" crowd: Here's a page out of W. H. B. Smith's "The Book of Pistols and Revolvers". These 9mm loads were chronographed after WW2 by H. P. White Co. Notice the two 9mm pistol loads from Germany, one of which is from 1918. If Luger was originally loading the 9mm Parabellum a lot lighter, it had certainly changed by the later part of WW1. The pistol loads on that page are about the same as most 9mm NATO.

As for the heavy trigger on the BHP: Mine is from the mid-70s. It breaks crisply at 6 pounds and is stock. That's about the same as specified for government 1911s. Governments buying handguns for large militaries seldom like light triggers. FN (and just about every other company), built pistols the way the customers wanted them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For the "anemic 9mm" crowd: Here's a page out of W. H. B. Smith's "The Book of Pistols and Revolvers". These 9mm loads were chronographed after WW2 by H. P. White Co. Notice the two 9mm pistol loads from Germany, one of which is from 1918. If Luger was originally loading the 9mm Parabellum a lot lighter, it had certainly changed by the later part of WW1. The pistol loads on that page are about the same as most 9mm NATO.

As for the heavy trigger on the BHP: Mine is from the mid-70s. It breaks crisply at 6 pounds and is stock. That's about the same as specified for government 1911s. Governments buying handguns for large militaries seldom like light triggers. FN (and just about every other company), built pistols the way the customers wanted them.
THIS time I'll remember to attach the image!
Font Rectangle Publication Writing Handwriting

·
Registered
Randall Raider
12 Posts
Odd's are they'll do the same thing Charles Daly did, import foreign made parts (from Turkey this time instead of FEG) and put them together here.

I'll wait and see. I was very unimpressed with the Tisa copy. The extractor broke on mine after 3000 rounds and they wouldn't send me a replacement....and modified the design enough were a FN made one never worked right.

Sad part is before the thing broke I liked the pistol, fit and finish were nice.
I own a FEG R9 and it's been flawless. The only ding is getting magazines.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Now I'll piss off some folks, the Hi Power probably feels better in the hand than any other pistol ever made. AND, after you say that there really isn't much more you can say for it. Out of the box they all have a terrible trigger, they aren't particularly accurate [ run of the mill ] and a 9mm is a bit anemic . One in 40S&W would be much better but there have been problems with the frames cracking. I've owned 2 9mm Hi Powers, sold 1 and gave the other one to my son [ he loves it ]. Actually would like another one but damn if I know why !
I couldn’t agree more. The only thing going for it was the capacity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had a Belgian Browning since the early 1970s. I fits my hand better than any semi auto pistol I have ever picked up. It has been accurate. It's trigger pull may not be the finest is the world, but it is definitely a workable and dependable pistol. There are already many clones out there, someone mentioned the CZ75. The first time a friend handed me his, I had to take a really good look at it, as it felt almost like my Browning. My HP is semi retired now and I primarily use a Sig P226. The feel is excellent in my hands and accuracy is great.

Remember the reason there are so many variations offered, What one likes or prefers may be really disliked by the next guy in line. Find yours personal preferred and don't badmouth all the others just because they don't fit your particular standards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The BHP in it's final configuration, was designed to meet the French military specifications. They required the magazine disconnect. After all that, the French never bought one BHP anyway, and the magazine disconnect was never dropped from production. They are easy to disconnect though. Removing it does improve the trigger significantly.
I never knew the reason for the magazine disconnect. After I got my new one back in the early 80's, I first tried polishing the disconnect surface and area of magazine it bared against, and that helped remove some of the grittiness, then finally learned to remove the disconnect and that was a tremendous improvement. Later I installed a wide C&S (cylinder and slide) wide trigger, again a perceived improvement as I like wide triggers and later a CNC milled sear and hammer from them, along with extended slide release and safety, along with having a bar sto match barrel fitted. Spent a lot on improvements over the years and it is now one of my most accurate pistols

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have had a Belgian Browning since the early 1970s. I fits my hand better than any semi auto pistol I have ever picked up. It has been accurate. It's trigger pull may not be the finest is the world, but it is definitely a workable and dependable pistol. There are already many clones out there, someone mentioned the CZ75. The first time a friend handed me his, I had to take a really good look at it, as it felt almost like my Browning

Remember the reason there are so many variations offered, What one likes or prefers may be really disliked by the next guy in line. Find yours personal preferred and don't badmouth all the others just because they don't fit your particular standards.
When I went to pick up my first High Power, a Mark lll 9mm with factory SFS, I recall the FFL saying if I liked the HP I would like the CZ75. I now have 12 BHPs and 3 CZ75 Compacts - each one a bit different. Turns out I vastly prefer an SA pistol and find the CZ75s just a bit too beefy in the grip. They have all been Cajunized and the triggers are excellent. That said, I still prefer my BHPs with a 4-5# SA trigger. Less take up and a shorter reset.

I would never refer to the CZ75 as a High Power clone… because it is not one. Great pistol and it does feel “almost like a High Power”… but it is not and will never be one.

I really do like the CZ75 Compacts but I carry an Alloy Detective High Power. It beats the CZ75 PCR (compact alloy frame) in every way… at least for me.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
26 Posts
You need a new Hi Power so you can fix the trigger and start experimenting with +P ammo. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a collection of a couple dozen Browning HPs. From my first, bought from a WW II vet, I loved that gun. How accurate did I have to be when i had 12 or 14 rounds to do the job. The adjustable sights were decent. A few years later the M1911 I was issued rattled when I shook it and I don't think I ever hit what I was aiming at. Fortunately I also had an M16. John Browning never lived to see his fantastic combat handgun widely used by over 50 military & police agencies worldwide. Some of the are still using it.
If Springfield does wade thru the legal battles to produce the NEW HP I'm betting it will look great, but very much like it's processor, it will have an outstanding finish and hopefully a great trigger. Springfield keep it under a $ grand with a fantastic finish and they will break the bank. I'll certainly buy a couple!
Ed in Florida

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Well I for one sure hope it's a Hi Power, even though producing Hi Powers doesn't seem like the best business decision. I'm not convinced there is enough market for HP's anymore to support new production. Oh how I want to be wrong about that!!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If it is a Hi Power, I'll buy one if it has the features I want and is well built. If the one I have turns out to be good, then I'll buy another just like it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Odd's are they'll do the same thing Charles Daly did, import foreign made parts (from Turkey this time instead of FEG) and put them together here.

I'll wait and see. I was very unimpressed with the Tisa copy. The extractor broke on mine after 3000 rounds and they wouldn't send me a replacement....and modified the design enough were a FN made one never worked right.

Sad part is before the thing broke I liked the pistol, fit and finish were nice.
They suck. Too many weird springs, levers and pins. Archaic design.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
If it is going to be a new Hi Power, the only real question is why? These were discontinued only 3 years ago. If there was really a market for them, production wouldn’t have stopped.

The teaser pic has a lot of hints leaning towards a Hi Power but if it is, I wonder how many people will actually buy one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If it is going to be a new Hi Power, the only real question is why? These were discontinued only 3 years ago. If there was really a market for them, production wouldn’t have stopped.
An obvious reason that FN stopped production was cost and the subsequent high retail price. Perhaps SA has found a manufacturer (Tisas? FEG?) that can provide a quality High Power at a reasonable price. There's a High Power at a LGS now priced at $1500. Too much IMO as that same money will buy some awfully nice pistols with money left over for cartridges. But a new High Power for 50 or 60% of that would likely have a market... IMO.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts