1911Forum banner

Is Springfield Armory reviving the Hi Power ???? Yes, it's the SA 35

45K views 505 replies 121 participants last post by  Nitro.45 
#1 ·
Ya'll hearing anything about this ?????

Sure would be awesome.

#237 ·
I actually thought of Stephen when I watched one of the reviews. I think he'd have been tickled pink to see this. Maybe instead of SA-35 they should've named it the SAC-35 in his honor. :)

#243 ·
I got a HP in .40 S&W in pieces, in a horse trade deal, years ago. It's pretty beat up, got mistreated by an idiot but it's all there and functional once I put it back together.
It does have a crappy trigger, it has the mag. safety but it is very accurate.
I'll be watching this latest offering from SA.

#246 ·
I got a HP in .40 S&W in pieces,
--snip--
It does have a crappy trigger, it has the mag. safety but it is very accurate.
--snip--
That trigger can be dramatically improved. I have two Browning HPs in 40S&W. I had the magazine disconnect hazard device removed on both of them and then the triggers were worked on by master pistolsmith Alex Hamilton in San Antonio. They're both smooth and break cleanly at just over 4lbs.

The magazine disconnect hazard is probably 75% of what is wrong with the trigger.

#250 ·
I've noticed that 1911 bashing is a common theme among some YouTubers. I think it is more about wanting to distance themselves from the greats of past eras than actually knowing anything about the gun. To me it makes them sound petty and insecure.

Reactions: TXGR
#258 ·
I've also seen parallels in two other areas where the current crop of "experts" seem to incessantly bash anything established before they came along. The most obvious example is among YouTube photography channels. They do a single, obligatory "it's not about your gear, it's about you" video, and then crank out hundreds of videos a year pushing the latest, greatest (and expensive) gear based on features or capabilities 99% of photographers will never utilize or even understand.

A much more pernicious trend is among history teachers (I won't honor them with the title 'historians'). Without getting into the political bias aspect, they put tremendous effort into trashing the books of actual historians from 3+ decades earlier. In most cases, there is no new data or source material about an event that occurred 400 years earlier. However, in an academic environment of "publish or perish," they have to write something and so they take the exact same source materials, but come up with radically different interpretations.

One isn't about better self-defense, the other isn't about taking better photographs, and the last is certainly not about more accurate or truthful history. I've come to the conclusion it is just about money.

If traffic to a YouTube channel is based on gear reviews, of course they need to push new gear over all those ancient, broken down designs like the 1911 and HiPower. That even more accurately describes photography channels who trash products they gave rave reviews on just 18 months earlier. This is true of history professors who need to justify why, yet another book, needs to be written about the Spanish presidios in Northern Mexico during the 1600s.

It's the money.

#254 ·
Wow....Springfield was listening to me......Yeah, right.

Well, im in. Hope it doesn't take years to get here. If it is exactly as their marketing material shows, it has my interest big time. I hope the grips feel as good as they look. For me the grips are a big deal on the high power. The right grips are a must, most I have handled have terrible grips. I hope these are shaped along the lines of Spegel grips.

#255 ·
I bought my first HP in 1969 when I was in the Army in Germany. Completely stock, had occasional misfeeds with military ball ammo. Had to sell it years later for tuition. Then when I was about to leave for the Desert Storm War, contacted Bill Lauridge at C&S and he sourced and tuned a Portugal Epoxy finished HP, which when I was issued a 1911, did not take it to that War. I have had it back twice more for further tuning in the years since. Shot it a lot.

Then, for years having wanted to replace my long ago sold first HP, found a mint T gun with its green soft case, and bought it, and it too went to C&S for their magic. Then about five years ago, bought a Practical HP from a shooting buddy, for $500, and like its brothers, C&S tuned and modified it.

All have perfect triggers, with the mag safety's out, and other tuning, new sights, safety's, Barsto barrels, and other. But I have big hands with long fingers, and the grip-to-trigger length is just a bit short for me, and I have to curve my trigger finger back a bit to press the trigger back to shoot.

One of the nice little things is that 1911 and HP pistols both fit fine in leather holsters. As much as I like M35 pistols, with three tuned ones, I probably won't get one of the new SA ones. I wish them all possible success with their interaction of these superb, classic handguns.

My tuned Practical. NV
[url=https://postimg.cc/GT9CzfSb][/URL]

#256 ·
I bought my first HP in 1969 when I was in the Army in Germany. Completely stock, had occasional misfeeds with military ball ammo. Had to sell it years later for tuition. Then when I was about to leave for the Desert Storm War, contacted Bill Lauridge at C&S and he sourced and tuned a Portugal Epoxy finished HP, which when I was issued a 1911, did not take it to that War. I have had it back twice more for further tuning in the years since. Shot it a lot.

Then, for years having wanted to replace my long ago sold first HP, found a mint T gun with its green soft case, and bought it, and it too went to C&S for their magic. Then about five years ago, bought a Practical HP from a shooting buddy, for $500, and like its brothers, C&S tuned and modified it.

All have perfect triggers, with the mag safety's out, and other tuning, new sights, safety's, Barsto barrels, and other. But I have big hands with long fingers, and the grip-to-trigger length is just a bit short for me, and I have to curve my trigger finger back a bit to press the trigger back to shoot.

One of the nice little things is that 1911 and HP pistols both fit fine in leather holsters. As much as I like M35 pistols, with three tuned ones, I probably won't get one of the new SA ones. I wish them all possible success with their interaction of these superb, classic handguns.

My tuned Practical. NV
[url=https://postimg.cc/GT9CzfSb][/URL]
Beautiful example of the Hi Power.

#268 ·
I started a thread last year wondering if Ruger or Springfield should make a Hi-Power. See link below. This Springfield Hi-Power is interesting. I have a hunch it is just a start. I think they'll probably bring back the .40 version, which is perfect for people where hi-cap mags are banned. Maybe they'll come out a Commander or CCO version in the future. I guess they'll play it by ear.

#274 ·
I am surprised that SA brought the BHP back I think it will be interesting how long it survives. I personally don’t think they will bother with the 40 S&W. It was never a popular caliber for the platform and these days is a caliber on life support for the mass market.

If I had to guess these will sell well for 6-12 months and then once the itch has been scratched the demand will level off. I hope it doesn’t because it will help bring down the cost of FN BHPs which will always be my preferred platform. If I can find one of these on the cheap I might get one for an in depth review and testing vs the real thing but I will wait until they are sub $600 NIB guns and $500 in the used market.

#276 ·
Several are being posted on Gunbroker now. Bidding on all of them has surpassed $1100. I thought the idiots paying $3000+ for $1500 Colt Pythons were nuts, but it appears they're not alone.

#284 ·
I would never again buy a .40 S&W pistol that was designed before the .40 was developed. Guns designed from the beginning to be ac/dc are one thing, a gun designed before WW2, I'll pass. But that is just my innate conservatism, YMMV.

#286 ·
I stopped by my local-ist LGS this morning, and ordered one. He was not too hopeful that I'd be getting one anytime soon, but he's like that, due to the current circumstances nationwide. I'm also on "the list" at another, larger shop in the area. Dunno which shop will get one first, if either of them (remember the Ruger XGI?). We'll just have to wait and see who gets what, when.
'

#287 ·
I asked about one in a large TX gunshop today and they said their ph. was ringing off the hook these past few days by inquiring buyers. No word on when they will have any however.

#296 ·
It is interesting to look at all the online gun sites who have posted what is pretty much the same article, with the same stock photos, of the SA-35. I expect SA sent out a press packet and they just rearranged it a little and popped it up on the site. I miss the American Rifleman of the 1960's.

#297 ·
I’ve never understood why some are so concerned (and even obsess) about the cartridge and handgun choices others make. It’s not a point of theology; there is no ‘right’ answer; my choosing to carry a 1911 or HiPower, or similar in 380ACP, or 38 Super, or 357 Sig, or 40S&W doesn’t harm you or make your preference any less optimal for your situation.

Why make false or unsubstantiated claims like “x is dead,” “y is on life support,” or “anyone still buying Z are mule headed donkeys in denial”? The comments have an eerily familiar ring to them, something like, “…bitter clingers holding on to their guns and their religion…” I can almost hear the epithet “boomer!” at the end.

Maybe that is what bothers me so much about TFB’s Reeves — the nanny-state condescension.

I see the same sort of pointless ”theological” debates in other areas. Just go to any MicroFourThirds video and read through the comments to find countless people trashing anybody “stupid enough” to buy MFT camera gear. Likewise, gear heads with little or no experience working on rotary engines or driving rotary powered cars watch videos on tuning rotaries only to leave comments denigrating the rotary design and those that buy them. If MFT is obsolete and technically inferior, if rotaries are obsolete and fundamentally flawed, why do they waste their time attacking them?

Discussing obsolescence, whatever happened to that big thread “Is the HiPower obsolete?” from last week?

#298 ·
People need mystical stuff to believe in. It validates that they belong to the One True Church of [blank] and have a valid witch burning card. I carry what seems appropriate at the time. Most days it is a G43 with a TLR-6 and V-tac +2 floor plate. Sometimes it is a Colt Govt in .45 and every once in a while it is a Model 60 3".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.