1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a new carry/defensive, full size gun. I like the full size CQB, but was wondering if the Tac. Elite model is really that much better($1,000.00 more). The Wilson info says the Tac. Elite is the ultimate Wilson defensive handgun. Is the tapered cone barrel better?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the TACTICAL ELITEs little brother, the STEALTH. I must say that if the larger model performs as good as the STEALTH, it kicks major ***!!!

As far the the CQB and extra $1k that is up to you. If you have the $$$; why not get the one you REALLY want?

I think the CQB will perform as good as the TACTICAL ELITE with the exception of the TACTICAL ELITEs unique features(i.e. STAINLESS CONE BARREL) they are essentially both the same. Both are outstanding full size 1911s, both are guaranteed to shoot 1" groups at 25yds and are highly reliable, etc;

I believe the T.E. model is suppose to be better at handling recoil with the heavier barrel, and "ULTRA" reliable because it has no barrel bushing...

And then there is the coolness factor. Lets face it, the TACTICAL ELITE is perhaps the coolest full size 1911 in existence...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am thinking it may not be fair to try and compare the tac. elite and the CQB since there is such a difference in price. How about comparing the tac. elite and a single stack SVI Infinity with a cone barrel? I can get a custom SVI single stack for a little less than the tac. elite (But the waitt is probably longer)and they seem to have similar features and price. Anyone have an opinion as to which one of these may be the beter gun?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Consider this more an opinion than anything else; but I think ALL the Wilson custom pistols are more of a prestige thing to own than what you get out of the rest of the assembly line guns.

Just like the names Wilson gives his guns, everything about their description is carefully worded to elicit a reaction from a potential consumer (salivation). He calls the KZ-45 "the world's finest and most efficient fighting handgun" and it's only 1K. So why not make just these, and throw in a compact based on the same design, since in his own words, the KZ's the best?

Yes, I think the craftmanship's better in the top shelf guns since one guy is doing all the work and QC; but the difference in quality will never be enough to justify the difference in price. It's like buying a Mercedes when you could have bought a Lexus in the same class for less money. You pay to be counted anong the elite, which doesn't mean what you're buying is actually an elite combat handgun.

That being said, I'd buy the CQB and save the remaining cash for about 5000 rounds of ammo and some extra mags.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Traevin. That is just what I wanted someone to post. I was just looking for opinions of others. I am leaning toward the CQB. I am sure it has more to contribute toward and accurate shot than i do as the shooter. If I get 1" @ 25 yd. accuracy from a CQB, that is good enough for me. It is tempting to have someone build a gun for me, but I don't want to wait a year or more. That is why I am trying to pick a semi production model and hopefully get it faster than waiting for a full custom gun.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Robe,

Good choice. You won't regret it. The CQB is a great, great gun. I was fortunate enough to have plenty of friends who liked to show them off at my previous range, and every single one was a very impressive shooter. Once one CQB came into my gun shop, everybody had to have one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts