1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just me but it seems there is hardly any ammo around to buy for my Kimber 10mm Eclipse Custom II. I know first thing everyone is thinking is ALL ammo is getting harder to get but with most all other calibers it's a matter of being out of stock thanks to Mr. Obama. It's different with the
10mm. Some suppliers have just stopped selling them. For example, I was over to the Gander Mountain in my area. Many of you may know how large of an outfit they are. I asked the guy in charge of pistols and ammo if they have any 10mm ammo. He said not only are they out of it, they don't plan on getting anymore in. Another example, I go online to the website of "Cheaper than Dirt". I'm sure many of you have heard of them. Anyway they no longer have any 10mm even listed. Since I recently purchased a 10mm I'm hoping it's just my imagination. I'm not into reloading and don't plan on getting into it, so maybe I can get Obama to reimburse me with some stimulus money. After all he's buying everything else out...............Ron

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
The 10mm is alive and well but it's not as popular as 9, 40 and 45. You can do a search on the forum and find a ton of info and I think there are a couple of currently active threads now going on. I don't think the 10mm will go away anytime soon, everytime it looks like it's going to fade away it reaches cult like status and makes a little bit of a come back. It's done this for the last twenty years and is probably more popular now than it has been in a while. There is ammo out there but you may have to order it, Double Tap and Georgia Arms are two popular ones I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
The demand for 10s is modest compared with 45s. I have more than a couple, as do most 10mm fans. It is a steady demand, though.

The problem is this: we (the 10mm fans) are a vocal bunch. For a time, there were basicially no options for new 10s. We whinned enough where the manufactures thought there were bunches of us, "flooded" them market, and now have slow sales again. Now some of the manufactures are pulling the plug on their 10s. I think DW is, Kimber is, and would expect Colt follow suit soon. Get 'em while you can. In another 5 to 10 years, you will see this again.

Neither bad or good. Just is.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I am keeping my fingers crossed for a Vltor Bren Ten in 2010. Counting down to SHOT show.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I hope it's not endangered, I'd like to get one eventually. maybe a Star Megastar, S&W 1026 or even a Glock 20. a Delta Elite would be nice, but probably out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
It seems the price of ammo is driving away the potential buyers for 10mm's
Unless one reloads it gets pretty spendy to go to the range with a 10mm anything!:bawling:

It seems that a more cost effective option for some 10mm owners is a 40cal coversion barrel - 40cal is cheaper!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
It takes advance planning to buy it...

Georgia Arms sells 10mm practice ammo for $20 per 50 rounds. That is comparable to most .45 ACP prices today. But you have to place an order and wait for awhile at Georgia Arms, because they are behind. My last order of 10mm took months to deliver.

Georgia Arms 10mm practice ammo in bulk

·
Registered
836 Posts
My solution was to buy up 3K pieces of 10mm brass and reload my own. I have 1000 rounds loaded as I speak. I'm lusting after the Dan Wesson RZ 10 Sportsman as I speak, my 10mm flame burns hot as ever. If you love to shoot, reloading is a necessity, and it isn't difficult, or expensive.

John

·
Registered
252 Posts
...so maybe I can get Obama to reimburse me with some stimulus money. After all he's buying everything else out...............Ron
Don't hold your breath about getting gun money from Barry "O", he hates guns.

The 10mm is a great idea but there are probably more practical alternatives to whatever your shooting requirements may be. If you need a SD caliber, the .45 ACP has premium bullet designs available that are intended for the 45's velocity range. The 10mm has Silvertips available for it's velocity range but those bullets are 1980's technology that have been overshadowed by newer bullets avilable for other calibers. Otherwise most of the 10mm SD loads are loaded down like 40S&W's or they drive the 40 caliber bullets faster than they were designed for with less than optimum results. Also it is easier in most gunstores to find ball ammo for practice shooting with the 45 than the 10mm.

If you want magnum performance, there are many excellent revolver calibers available that offer even more power than the 10. If you choose to reload, consider that revolvers don't kick valuable empties all over the landscape.

But of course the 10mm is cool and remember that Don Johnson used it on a TV show years ago (actually .45ACP blanks).

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Even though I like my G20 and reload for it, I find myself shooting it less and less. Just don't see any advantage for plinking over my 9mms and .45s. Come-to-think-of-it, if I decide to sell my G20, dies, brass, etc., I doubt that I'll miss it. ;)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Don't have anything against 10mm, but everybody has their reasons for or against specialty calibers. The reasons I didn't get into 10mm were:

* The handgun calibers I have are perfectly adequate for self-defense. I have .22lr for cheap practice and plinking, and 9mm and .45acp for self-defense.

* If I need a more powerful gun, my next step up is a rifle! If I really got into handgun hunting of large game, or needed trail protection from grizzlies or brown bears (two specialized applications that few people get into), I'd want more powerful than 10mm anyway, and would step up to at least a .44mag.

Given the above scenarios, 10mm simply doesn't give me anything I need or want. I suspect that it will have a future because there are specialty users who enjoy it, just as with other specialty calibers. I also expect it will never become a very widely adopted caliber, for reasons similar to those listed above.

·
Registered
516 Posts
The best reason to buy something is because you want it. To that end I have two 10mm Colts. I just like to be different. I reload so the cost isn 't out of reason but I do have my eye on one of the two-tone Colt Combat Elites though. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
457 Posts
10mm is a luxury to me. My modified Delta Gold Cup is a sweet shooter.

It costs about 20 to 25% more to shoot than my .45s although I reload when I have time for it.

It holds one extra round (over a .45acp) in the magazine.

I prefer the 10mm when I'm out in the boonies and enjoy it's flat trajectory in a 1911 platform. Otherwise, my .45s work for most practice sessions and city carry.

It is fun at the indoor range but I lose a lot of brass.

It is not "nuclear" like some suggest. It's just a beefy .40 S&W.
It isn't close to the .44 magnum's energy level but the trajectory is very similar.

It is what it is: no more and no less. A very flexible caliber that is not super cheap but is worth the money for me as a fun and practical addition to my arsenal.

I've owned 10mm's for nearly 20 years now and plan on having 10s for another 20 years or more.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
It is not "nuclear" like some suggest. It's just a beefy .40 S&W.
It isn't close to the .44 magnum's energy level but the trajectory is very similar.

Actually the .40 S&W is a wimpy 10mm. 10mm came first.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts