1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
Administrator
75,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty balanced argument...

I will add my opinion by saying that as a military sidearm, yes. As an LE sidearm, depends. As a civilian personal defense weapon, definitely not.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Seeing some 'tard drop a quality 1911 into a trash can is just a egregious to me as if he were doing it to the American flag. :mad:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Apologizing for having arguably the most successful modern service pistol in a company of 1911s and admitting to throwing them over the shoulder hardly strikes as a balanced approach.

Independently, him spending time on practicing gun handling rather than on videos will be a time better spent. His draw and reload need work. Racking a slide on in-battery reload after three shots is funny. Understanding different ready positions and why bringing an empty slide-locked gun to high ready is comical would be good too.

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
Seeing some 'tard drop a quality 1911 into a trash can is just a egregious to me as if he were doing it to the American flag. :mad:
Where did that happen?

·
Administrator
75,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologizing for having arguably the most successful modern service pistol in a company of 1911s and admitting to throwing them over the shoulder hardly strikes as a balanced approach.
Okay, so his attempts at humor fell flat on their face. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bahn of the Sun

·
3,034 Posts
As long as you can get ammo, the 1911 will never be obsolete. I do think it can be successfully argued that the 1911 hasn't been a top tier combat/duty/carry weapon for a long time now.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yes, it is. However, it is irrelevant because the gun works and any of the common cartridge chamberings will do the job. Unless, of course, you hand it to me. Then my mere grip will mess up a 1911 that performed flawlessly up until that point. I think I have an aura that warps extractors or something.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Howard is hardly a "Tard" he served in the Marine Corps, until very recently he was the Chief of Police in an Ohio city. He shoots Hi Power rifle and is a S&W armorer. I also happen to know that he is a fan of the 1911. You Tube videos are produced to make money by generating views likes shares etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It's frame sure as heck is.

Make the frame shaped to match the A1 MSH. And 9mm's should be double stacked. A CZ75 is hardly wider than a 1911.

The 1911 has its niche still.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah, but Tex had been there all day and was training tired. Every gun class I have ever attended warned us of this. The mistake will happen when you're least expecting it and likely doing you're very familiar with. Slowing down after 3 PM is important; many people fail to ask for breaks.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Okay, so his attempts at humor fell flat on their face. Sheesh! :rolleyes:
Looks like twice...

I understood that this was for a dramatic, so to speak, effect. I honestly don't care one way or another but it is a kinda shallow end of the pool stuff to me. Although now I am thinking that the gunhandling bit at the beginning was also a humor, maybe?

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
I will add my opinion by saying that as a military sidearm, yes. As an LE sidearm, depends. As a civilian personal defense weapon, definitely not.
The points addressed in the video all seemed valid. I missed him throwing any pistol in the trash ... had I seen that, probably have exited there. As far as I saw he only spoke of throwing a Glock over his shoulder ... hopefully in jest. Until accidentally taking a G17 to a week-long defensive pistol class in '11, writing "Glock" I'd always replace the "o" with a "*": so no room for me to throw stones over a Glock joke.

Perhaps unsurprising that CDO* as I am, nothing there that I had not considered. After carrying an m1911 for about 3/4 of the last 20yrs, all of the last 5 - 6yrs 7 1/2yrs, hopefully I'd have considered all the obvious points.

To me, being single-stack is not a requirement of being a "1911". So my Bul M-5 seems to me to answer the only real objection: capacity. The claim that double-stacks are too wide is simply an error. Both the M-5 and a P-O high-cap are slightly less wide than my single-stack EDC when its regular grip stocks are mounted. Only slightly wider with slim grips mounted. The perimeter of the d.s. grip frames are longer ... smaller corner radii. So not as well suited to small hands. Same with the 2011s. That was the only factual error I noted; and it's a very commonly made one.

*- Compulsive Disordered Obsession: alphabetic order, right?

·
3,034 Posts
Yeah, but Tex had been there all day and was training tired. Every gun class I have ever attended warned us of this. The mistake will happen when you're least expecting it and likely doing you're very familiar with. Slowing down after 3 PM is important; many people fail to ask for breaks.
Excuses excuses, the 1911 shot him in the leg. There are many other cases of 1911s (and guns of all kinds for that matter) shooting their owners in the leg. I am sure the Glock leg people had a list of excuses too. :)

But all friendly banter aside, good points on not training past your physical/mental limits. Lack of attention/focus can get you shot with any pistol

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts
It's frame sure as heck is.

Make the frame shaped to match the A1 MSH. And 9mm's should be double stacked. A CZ75 is hardly wider than a 1911.

The 1911 has its niche still.
The frame is shaped to match the A1 MSH. One of my routine tweaks of a 1911 to be used for anything other than classroom, student use or target practice is replace a flat MSH with an arched MSH. Flat I can shoot fine, but must give too much attention / time to disengaging the grip safety. And too much time to acquiring the sight.

1 - 20 of 313 Posts