1911Forum banner
221 - 240 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, the 1911 is obsolete.

By every stretch of the imagination. I have a compact, light carry piece that does everything a 1911 does… and better… with a holographic sight that cost a thousand bucks less than a good 1911.

At the same time, like the completely obsolete M1 Garand, it is fun to shoot, accurate and one darn fine piece of iron. At the range, in my house, locked in my jeep… I love having a 1911 with me. The army taught me how to shoot it, I like it, it suits me.

I think a lot of folks have emotional attachment to things. I’ve avoided it even though I do like having stuff. By modern standards the 1911 was made obsolete by the Hi Power… which is also obsolete.

Being obsolete does not mean irrelevance. It just means that stuff gets easier to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think the 1911 is obsolete at all. It's simple fewer moving parts than a wonder nine. The 1911 with modern sights such as wider rear sight and lite bar front sight, magazine well, beavertail grip safety just to name a few modern touches. Take down is simple and I like simple.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think the 1911 is obsolete at all. It's simple fewer moving parts than a wonder nine. The 1911 with modern sights such as wider rear sight and lite bar front sight, magazine well, beavertail grip safety just to name a few modern touches. Take down is simple and I like simple.
I love 1911's/2011's but come on now lol

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I went on how it was a POS and asked what made them decide to get it. She replied that they had no money for anything else. I felt like an idiot.
Those always sting don't they? I've done that before and I always feel like a jerk. I mean, what do you say after a response like that? "Oh, I'm sorry." Then with a bright red face something like, "there not all bad, actually I've heard......" Fill in the blank. Or maybe just change the subject.

Anyways, I try to avoid those at all costs nowadays.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Those who say the 1911 is obsolete need to learn the definition of the word.

·
Registered
I have a MK IV Colt, chambered in .45 auto.
200 Posts
Is a 1911 or derivative the best choice for every scenario in which a handgun would be used? Of course not.

It it the best choice for certain scenarios? That argument could be made, yes.

Obsolete? Hardly.
I have faith in the .45 1911, and I think it can handle anything that I will ever encounter.

And my 1911 is accurate enough for most things. To me it’s adequate for any situation.

If I ever get into a gunfight with it, the other guy had better say his prayers.:geek:

·
Registered
I have a MK IV Colt, chambered in .45 auto.
200 Posts
I think what gets everyone so uptight is the notion that "obsolete" automatically means outdated or no longer relevant. Not necessarily so. My M1917 bayonet is obsolete as the military has no use for it, since they no longer field the M1917 rifle and since modern bayonets are really just field knives which "oh by the way" can also be attached to the end of your rifle if need be. But that sucker has a 17" long blade and can go right through the other side of a bad guy, and I doubt anyone would ever want to be on the wrong end of it even though it's "obsolete" as far as military equipment goes.
I had a couple of Cammilus made KBars, and they were/are killing knives. I got them while I was in an NG Airborne battalion, and it was because of their reputation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, but Tex had been there all day and was training tired. Every gun class I have ever attended warned us of this. The mistake will happen when you're least expecting it and likely doing you're very familiar with. Slowing down after 3 PM is important; many people fail to ask for breaks.
Being tired and mentally exhausted is when good training pays off. Professional gun men are often tired and still are capable of functioning without shooting themselves or someone else.
Not in my opinion a valid excuse for shooting yourself...not if you want to claim to be a professional gunman or instructor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love the 1911. I don't carry one as my carry piece unless I want to be more classy than usual. It isn't because I don't trust the gun. The majority of my professional like I carried a glock. As a result that is the gun that is most instinctual to operate. The 1911 is a fine weapon but it's manual of arms is different. If I had the time and ammo to train that I have had with the glock, I would certainly carry one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
First - If you are making the statement that the 1911 is obsolete, due to other calibers being better, consider this. The 1911 can be found in most calibers available, and in some calibers that other types of guns are not.
Second - As far as simplicity in design goes, it doesn't get much simpler than this pistol as far as what it takes to make it go bang.
Third - As far as proving itself, the 1911 has served in more theaters of war than most of the newer guns have ever dreamed of.
Fourth - People say the 1911 is unreliable and inaccurate. Reliability requires the gun be shot as designed with the ammunition it was designed for. Most semi-auto handguns I have owned, and I have had most at one time or another, favor one type of ammo over another. All can be made to shoot well with other ammo with some minor adjustments in most cases. I own five 1911's in four different calibers and all are as accurate as needed for a standard production gun when I do my part.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Wheel Horse Sky Working animal Rolling

Some people in this country still use this for their daily commute. Gets job done. Takes you from A to B, no problem. Very few parts. Low maintenance. Legacy materials. Served people for centuries. Less emissions than any EV. Can't break speed limits so is very safe.
Not obsolete, then.

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
Reactions: BlkHillsBagger

·
Registered
269 Posts
First - If you are making the statement that the 1911 is obsolete, due to other calibers being better, consider this. The 1911 can be found in most calibers available, and in some calibers that other types of guns are not
I’ll only address this item. Yup you can get a 1911 in lots of calibers. Indeed I have one in 9x23. But really who wants to actually carry such a heavy gun in 9mm for example when lighter, higher capacity guns are plentiful? Obsolescence really doesn’t apply, but CCW and defensive options are available which meet the needs of 99% of the users often for less $$.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I’ll only address this item. Yup you can get a 1911 in lots of calibers. Indeed I have one in 9x23. But really who wants to actually carry such a heavy gun in 9mm for example when lighter, higher capacity guns are plentiful? Obsolescence really doesn’t apply, but CCW and defensive options are available which meet the needs of 99% of the users often for less $$.

Lighter isn't always a bonus. Smaller guns are snappier, even in 9mm and typically less fun to shoot. Less fun to shoot might make for less practice, even when ammo isn't scarce as hen's teeth. Shorter barrels also provide less velocity, thus higher chance a bullet won't expand properly. Higher capacity? I just bought 16 round magazines for one of my 1911s, Rock Island finally got them in stock.

Cost is probably always going to be a bone of contention. Some people say a $900 1911 is too much and buy a $600 Glock. Some folks say $600 is too much and buy a $400 Taurus. And Hi Point owners scoff at all of the above.

I've only owned & carried full size guns. Only recently did I get one with more than 8 round magazine capacity. YMMV?

·
Premium Member
5,926 Posts
Capacity seems a pretty marginal issue to me. Although my EDC is a .45ACP, one of my CCWs, smaller for ceremonial clothing (funerals, weddings etc.) is a 1911 4", chambered in 9mm. Certainly don't feel poorly armed on such occasions. If opposition is still in sight after 5rds, I'll have long been seeking cover in which to reload.

Weight is not an issue at all: the human body changes more in weight several times each day than the difference between a 1911 government and a small-frame Glock (for example). Plus my briefcase weighs at least 15kg ... so I certainly won't notice 1kg on my hips below the spine.

What does matter to me is:

- familiarity
Competing with the 1911 made it the center-fire pistol I shoot most.

- fire-controls
That plunger trigger makes for both accurate and fast ( once the user has learned not to bottom-out the trigger ).

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Administrator
75,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
Let's face it guys...

There is one single reason why so many shooters these days consider the 1911 an outdated relic. The magazine capacity. We are continually being led to believe that we're going to need at a bare minimum 12 rounds just to save ourselves from mortal danger, and the truly prepared will carry an 18-shot pistol with at least two spare magazines (one a 33-round stick), a backup handgun (that also carries at least 12 rounds), a deep hideout gun, a knife (or three), pepper spray, kubotan, and tactical flashlight with sharpened points on it. If you're simply going to the grocery store to get some more beer... maybe leave the flashlight at home.

The truth is, virtually no civilian encounter is going to devolve into a protracted shootout with multiple heavily-armed thugs like the infamous 1986 FBI Miami shootout. If you're a civvie, what the hell are you doing getting yourself into a gunfight like that in the first place? Same goes for encountering a drugged-up, 270lb. Thugasaurus Rex who soaks up bullets like he's the Terminator. The moment you encounter somebody like that you're supposed to be breaking contact, not trying to subdue him. The police are paid to go looking for trouble. You're not. The nine rounds in a .45ACP 1911 are going to be ample in nearly all situations a civilian is ever likely to encounter. Talk to anyone who studies real-world gun battles, and they will tell you that in the vast majority of cases as soon as the bullets start to fly everyone involved scatters like a bunch of cockroaches. Yes there is always the outlier that people like to point to as an example, but they call it an outlier for a reason. Your much-anticipated battle with the Terminator or a platoon of heavily-armed bank robbers is more likely to remain a fantasy than ever become a reality.

Part of the reason for the large-capacity mentality is the fact that most competition events require an insanely high number of rounds fired per stage. You can't win an IPSC match, or even stay competitive if you aren't rocking a pistol with an 18+ shot magazine. These stages are not set up to resemble any truly realistic real-world situations unless you honestly think you're going to be going full Die-Hard on a room full of hostage-taking terrorists.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Let's face it guys...

There is one single reason why so many shooters these days consider the 1911 an outdated relic. The magazine capacity.
Oh, come on, dsk. Even before the 365s and Hellcats, 7-rounders like Shield and G43 and slightly larger G26s etc were the most common CCW choices.

Besides the capacity
  • large size for a classic Govt or even Commander models
  • lower reliability of small format 1911s
  • weight of all steel 1911s, probably the largest factor of them all
  • lack of dedicated drop safety in series 70
  • grip safety, which is absolutely dumb and useless
  • need to extra training related to thumb safety
  • higher maintenance requirements
  • limited pistol mounted optic interface options

are all factors that are absent in modern day pistols and that contribute, to a various degree in eyes of different users, to the obsolescence sentiment.

221 - 240 of 303 Posts