1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
701 - 720 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
All I’ll say is that shooting my 1911(s) definitely makes me smile and my plastic stuff just leaves me feeling “meh”.
I agree. I like shooting my 1911 and other steel frame guns. My wife's plastic stuff not so much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have about a dozen or so Springfields I keep around. They are heavier built than most polymer guns. I’ve yet to have one of them let me down. When the XDE came out, I was very excited to get it out to the range being their first hammer fired polymer handgun. I walked straight from the truck to the picnic table and started filming the review. I put 200+ through it on camera and another 150+ after the filming. It was bone dry. I had 1 failure to fully chamber the first round right up front and it ran flawlessly after that up until I sold it to a friend who could no longer rack his semi-autos. As much as I loved shooting that gun, the feeling of satisfaction pales in comparison to picking up one of my 1911’s. I still have my 45 XDE (sold the 9mm) it just doesn’t get shot near as much since I started buying 1911s.

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
All I’ll say is that shooting my 1911(s) definitely makes me smile and my plastic stuff just leaves me feeling “meh”.

suprisingly about a week ago my 43yr old son asked me for advice on buying a 1911 which surprised me because about 2yrs ago he wanted to buy his first gun ( He lives a 1000mi from me) and was looking for guidance, I suggested a 1911 and he explained to me that some of the guy’s he works with told him that 1911’s are obsolete & unreliable even though he’s shot mine a lot. They pushed glocks 🙄.

Anyway he ended up buying a Sig M17which is a nice piece but no 1911, so anyway he made me smile because he now wants a 1911. Makes me smile !
My m1911s likewise make me smile ... regardless of construction materials. So far I've had 1911s with frames made of: Al alloys unknown, Al-Sc alloy, carbon steels, polymers, pot metal, stainless steels ... may have missed something. Still have at least one example of each except Spring '21 I sold the only pot metal one, a .22, because its manual of arms was distorted with a magazine "safety". No use for it: I wasn't gonna use it teaching with a mag disconnect nor after disabling something the manufacturer called a "safety". My concerns are almost strictly functional; somewhat aesthetic.

Also agree that it's satisfying when a youngster suddenly realizes that his / her elders may have known all along*, what the youngster just suddenly discovered. Hopefully Dad still enjoys seeing such results in me. Dad has been a much more gracious learner for me with respect to firearms than was I with respect to many topics for him. He has 19yrs on me ... so no real surprise there ... people tend to become more skilled at learning graciously with age. All one's accumulated mistakes, if acknowledged and "owned", wearing down attitudes in the spectrum that includes youthful arrogance.

*- "all along", the elders in their turn often learned themselves only after disregarding [ good ] advice from somebody with a longer record of experience.

Reactions: Levian and philmo11

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to.

In my opinion and in my world of carry and duty guns, any handgun not made of steel and in a minor caliber is a disadvantage. I am not currently on-duty, but tomorrow nite I will be, and it will be w/ a steel, 5" 1911 in .45ACP that gets 200+ rounds fired thru it each week in training. And I consider myself to have a distinct advantage over anyone I come up against. I also carry a Commander-size 1911 off-duty, but do not notice any "extra weight" w/ either weapon.

I agree 100%. It amazes me people will spend as much ad they can afford on a carry gun then buy the cheapest belt and holster they can find. Spend a little extra and buy a gun belt and spend some time do some research and spend the money on a holster that fits your needs and body style. With the proper set up a full size all steel 1911 won't even be noticeable after just a few minutes. There are several times a day I have to check and make sure I still have it.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
So, explain this to me. Everybody says, have to use a good belt and a good holster. It is like a gospel, people keep repeating it without paying attention to what is being discussed. The presented argument is that a 1911, or any all-steel large gun for that matter, is an unbalanced load, unhealthy in a long term, to one's back. Do good belts and holsters make it any lighter?

Didn't think so.

Fitness report:
  • Today did a 4 3/4 hour hike, about 700 feet elevation. My Fitbit says 24,309 steps, 10.9 miles. Carried a Glock 26 with 15 round mag, as always concealed close to a center of a body on a Wilderness belt.
  • Yesterday did a USPSA match, took about 5 hours, flat range14,061 steps, 6.35 miles, all steel CZ in a strong side OWB holster, dual DAA belt setup.
Guess which one hurt less.

Enjoy today's pics.

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant community Plant

Sky Cloud Mountain Ecoregion People in nature

·
Registered
simplify
494 Posts
Industrial strength suspenders Duluth
Trading co makes a pair that clip on the sides I wear them .

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Do good belts and holsters make it any lighter?

Didn't think so.

Fitness report:
  • Today did a 4 3/4 hour hike, about 700 feet elevation. My Fitbit says 24,309 steps, 10.9 miles. Carried a Glock 26 with 15 round mag, as always concealed close to a center of a body on a Wilderness belt.
  • Yesterday did a USPSA match, took about 5 hours, flat range14,061 steps, 6.35 miles, all steel CZ in a strong side OWB holster, dual DAA belt setup.
Good belts and holsters provide the support to tote a 1911 with perfect satisfaction and complete comfort. It just can't get any better than that.

One thing about it. You are everything everybody else who posts in this thread only wishes they could be. You're more active, more fit, more perceptive, more intelligent, more knowledgeable about handguns, more accurate and capable with handguns, have only the most superior handguns and gear, and you're more than willing to share in those facts. All we all gotta do is read all about it here for you've said so.

And yet, some of us are still willing to go about both clueless and lopsided, toting our 1911s and not accepting that they are obsolete.

Why is that?

It's certain that you have a ready answer.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've got the best belts and holsters that money can buy. Lighter carries better. I have an unlimited budget for such, if there was anything better, I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

But fine. How about some numbers:

My 1911 empty= 2.27 pounds.
Glock 41 empty=1.55

1911 7+1=2.8
Glock 41 13+1=2.4

The Glock is almost half a pound lighter, with six more rounds!

Glock 41. 7+1=2.1.
Downloaded to the same capacity as a 1911, the Glock is 0.7 pounds lighter!

Ok, so let's make it a fair fight:
Glock 41 + one spare mag = 3.19
1911 + two spare mags = 3.84

The Glock is 0.65 pounds lighter, has three more rounds, and only has to reload once.
That's huge. That's about as close to factual obsolete as you can get.

Can we use an aluminum 1911 to get closer to Glock weight? Sure we can. It's still heavier though. And the aluminum checker just gets mashed up. The all steel 1911 has the same recoil as my G41. My Aluminum 1911 is a bit more.

Not exactly apples to apples at that point. A 1911 commander with Al frame, vs a Glock 23.4, might be a fairer comparison, if you go the Al frame route.

If that fullsize Al 1911 had a nice round butt like a Glock or CZ, maybe recoil wouldn't be like that. And it would be a fairer comparison. Actually, because of 2011's we know it would a bit nicer.

Any way you cut it, four pounds of metal on your belt makes a difference. Reducing any of that is priceless. Now drop down to a Glock 23 with no spare mag.........

·
3,100 Posts
And yet, some of us are still willing to go about both clueless and lopsided, toting our 1911s and not accepting that they are obsolete.

Why is that?
My guess is old and stubborn. :) That is why I drive an old truck most of the time and refuse to use phone apps.

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
Full coffee cup - Empty coffee cup = .65lbs.

Concerns over carrying an amount of mass that I swallow >10 times a day*, makes absolutely no sense to me. The water and the food start out above the waist. Guns stays on the hips. My legs feel only relief that it's not my briefcase.

*- After 10:00, it's just water.

Reactions: Zerodefect

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
Great. Now someone's peeing at work, while saying. "I can buy a 1911 now''.
Let's a-void considering qualification for an M1 carbine.

Reactions: Zerodefect

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shot my 1911 today and let me tell you, it didn't feel obsolete at all.
Had my .45 Glock 41 with me and even though it holds 5 rounds more, my 1911 was considerably faster to bring back on target, recoil was easily 1/3rd less and it was also easier to shoot accurately. At the 10yds range I was blasting away with my 1911 AND hitting you wouldn't believe it, cant think of a polymer duty gun in .45 that could pull that off.

I think in a self defense scenario I would be VERY well off with a properly put together 1911, it would be top 3 for sure. Obsolete? Not by a long shot, for me anyways.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Shot my 1911 today and let me tell you, it didn't feel obsolete at all.
I took four 1911 pistols to the range today; RIA 9mm, RIA 40 S&W, Fusion Firearms 10mm and a Kimber .45 ACP. Function of all four was perfect while accuracy was fine. Couldn't ask for a better day on the range and for what some think to be "obsolete" pistols - I don't - they worked exactly the way they are supposed to work. I can't ask for more than that.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
You are everything everybody else who posts in this thread only wishes they could be. You're more active, more fit, more perceptive, more intelligent, more knowledgeable about handguns, more accurate and capable with handguns, have only the most superior handguns and gear, and you're more than willing to share in those facts. All we all gotta do is read all about it here for you've said so.
Thank you, that's a nicest thing anybody told me since last Thursday. No, Friday, but still, thank you. See, when there are 118 participants in a thread and you're one of three debating against the remainder 115, you do have to flex a little. Hopefully my awesomeness didn't get me rent-free with you; if yes, I am happy to send a couple of boxes of ammo or something.
I also do hope that I have remained humble enough by never mentioning........you know........that........the thing...... ...the size.....and the girth....

And yet, some of us are still willing to go about both clueless and lopsided, toting our 1911s and not accepting that they are obsolete. Why is that?
Lemme take a stab in a multiple choice format:

1. A humorous belief that in 2021 a couple mm difference in a service pistol caliber makes some difference.
2. Need that weight to hold onto the half-inch ahceepee.
3. With current real estate prices barns have become much smaller. Need that trigger to hit a barn.
4. Emotional attachment to inanimate objects.
5. All of the above.

My guess is old and stubborn. :)
The most inspirational shooter in my USPSA club is a D class. Walks from target to target. If they are close, plugs in two close holes next to letter A, and walks to the next one. If they are far, might miss one here and there.
The man is 83 years old. If he doesn't come for a match I fear the worst. When he shows up, I am genuinely happy. Lifetime 1911 shooter, of course, and still shoots it at times. Somehow has been managing to look happy with a SIG Legion lately...
Gives me hopes in many ways, including that not all old are stubborn.

yvk, beautiful country! only 700ft? and snow on the mts. must be ak. thanks!
No-no, the hike was about 700 feet vertical gain although my altimeter may have been off. The elevation is about 6000 ft. Utah.

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
From m1911 to Glock*1:

An increase of trigger pressure by up to 3 1/4 lbs ( 52oz ), a 45 - 100%*2 increase, born by one finger is nothing ...
... if you cannot handle that, you have inadequate skills.

A decrease of 6.5oz. mass / weight, a .3% decrease*3, born by the legs is essential ...
... [ not sure what goes here ... "else you must be abusing diuretics." maybe? ]

So far that's the bulk of my take-aways for the argument. Some allusions to the one argument with which I agree ... though do not take very seriously: capacity. To that argument I've written: high-cap 1911s. My 1st 1911-derived CCW is a Bul M-5, 13rds of .45ACP. The M-5 is also polymer frame ... but I cannot feel the weight of a steel government-length in my holster, thus cannot feel the weight of the Bul any less. Prefer reduced recoil of modern 9mm? Even more choices available to me there: P-O P189S ( steel alas ); Staccato-XC ... wow ...; and W.C. "EDC X9" ... likewise wow*4.

*1- Both of which, BTW, I like.

*2- Based upon 3.25 - 4.5lb vs. 6.5lb

*3- Based upon a 140lb person. Much less for me.

*4- Holster arrived yesterday, but family visiting ... tonight after music lessons, tried some draws ... oh mercy.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
From m1911 to Glock*1:

An increase of trigger pressure by up to 3 1/4 lbs ( 52oz ), a 45 - 100%*2 increase, born by one finger is nothing ...
... if you cannot handle that, you have inadequate skills.

A decrease of 6.5oz. mass / weight, a .3% decrease*3, born by the legs is essential ...
... [ not sure what goes here ... "else you must be abusing diuretics." maybe? ]

So far that's the bulk of my take-aways for the argument. Some allusions to the one argument with which I agree ... though do not take very seriously: capacity. To that argument I've written: high-cap 1911s. My 1st 1911-derived CCW is a Bul M-5, 13rds of .45ACP. The M-5 is also polymer frame ... but I cannot feel the weight of a steel government-length in my holster, thus cannot feel the weight of the Bul any less. Prefer reduced recoil of modern 9mm? Even more choices available to me there: P-O P189S ( steel alas ); Staccato-XC ... wow ...; and W.C. "EDC X9" ... likewise wow*4.

*1- Both of which, BTW, I like.

*2- Based upon 3.25 - 4.5lb vs. 6.5lb

*3- Based upon a 140lb person. Much less for me.

*4- Holster arrived yesterday, but family visiting ... tonight after music lessons, tried some draws ... oh mercy.
Your math is rather complicated for me. Like many very handsome people, I am a little dumb. I simply see it that way: it is either 29 oz that are pulling my pants to the side and make belt dig into the opposite side, or 42 oz. Your logarithmic ratios totally got me out of my element.

Now, you mentioned something there, so may be that would be a good opportunity for me to learn something. Could you, or someone else, explain the Staccato XC to me? I woulda asked in appropriate subforum but I'd surely offend more people. Hopefully no XC owner looks here.
So, that gun
  • chambered in 9 mm
  • full size
  • 37 oz empty
  • 2.5 lbs trigger pull
and they bolted a compensator on it.
Not legal in most competitive divisions that I know of, and not competitive in those where it might be legal.

Is it intended for disabled shooters who might need full size, full mass, and a comp to tame the 9 mm, and trigger pull weight about half that of a duty gun?

701 - 720 of 740 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.