1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
23,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On firearms themselves that is?
I have been considering a couple of purchases of late. But I do not think that I would buy anything that I did not already have a plentiful supply of ammo for. New chamberings are just not going to happen for the time being. Anyone else want to weigh in on this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It has for me. I’ve been wanting to get a Ruger 57 and the Armalite M-15A4 chambered in a 6.8 mm. But since this started, I’ve put those on hold.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Agreed. I have not purchased a new gun for several months, possibly a year now. I have been trying to acquire reloading supplies in the meantime. It just took me 4 months to get an order of supplies in. (I am not understocked, except in my mind...🤣) But that is my priority currently.

My only considerations have been to possibly purchase both a rifle and pistol in .22 as I have limited my rifles in that caliber to very old, and my pistols to target. But I am not in a hurry for those.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Not really. I'm actually downsizing and re-focusing my collection. I learned from the last politically motivated ''shortages'' and stocked up on ammo and handloading components when the getting was good. Judging from my limited shooting time and ammo consumption of the past decade , I'm good for the rest of my life. If the prices keep going up , I could really make a profit!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not here. But I consolidated down to the most “common” calibers a year or so ago. And have been since about March whittling down the collection to what can be functionally carried between us.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I don't care about the current ammo situation and that does not affect my purchasing decisions. I care about effective caliber, which is why I sold off all of my .45 ACP caliber 1911's and replaced them with more effective 10mm 1911's. I do have 9mm handguns, not because I like 9mm ineffectiveness, but, because the 9mm pistols I have are fantastic handguns - 9mm CZ 75 B and pre-B, several HK P7 M13's, Beretta M9A3 - and I collect firearms that interest and fascinate me as a collector. I also have several .357 magnum revolvers -Colt Python and S&W model 386PD - because a .357 magnum is on par with my 10mm 1911's as far as ballistics. I also have a S&W 657 .41 magnum because I wanted something a little more powerful than the 10mm and .357 magnums. So, I don't care about cost of or limited availability ammo and it does not factor in my purchases at all.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The only thing preventing me from buying is pending legislation and availability. I have bullet molds and dies for any caliber I have an interest in. Ammo is not the problem for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the time being, I only plan to purchase guns chambered in calibers that I already have. I have plenty of ammo stacked and I'm not interested in paying 3-4x what I normally pay for ammo.

.22LR, .32 ACP, 38 Special, .357, 9MM, 45 ACP, 5.56/.223, 7.62x51/.308.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Purchased new pistols in .22, 9mm, 45acp, 45 Colt and 10mm in the past 60 days.... I'm not scared. Have ammo, reloading equipment and primers....

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
On firearms themselves that is?
I reload and have PLENTY of components for whatever caliber I choose to reload for.

It is not a consideration.

·
Administrator
72,996 Posts
The last new caliber I adopted was .300 Blackout, right before this whole mess started. As a result I was unable to find more than a few hundred rounds of it before it all dried up (and has been like a unicorn since). My last three gun purchases were in .45ACP, .380 and 9mm, which I already have ammo for. Even then, I had very little .380 on hand so I haven't dared to put more than 50 rounds through my new toy so far.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
The last new caliber I added is the 41 magnum. I think no 357/44 magnum owner should be without a 41 magnum.
I’m holding off on gun purchases till the ammo supplies return. I’d like to add two magnum rifles. I have plenty of surplus ammo to keep shooting.

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
If the gun I want is available and I have the funds, then I’m going to purchase it regardless of whether or not I have ammo for it. Ammo supplies will return in time, but the opportunity to purchase the gun may not circle back around.

Plus, that’s the beauty of steel pistols, revolvers and rifles, they're the weapon, the bullets just give them longer range.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I picked up a VP40 because I was worried about 9mm availability. It fits me great and makes me a ‘above average’ shooter.... ok C+ level. Super affordable and very reliable. I was thinking it’s a great backup option. To my at the time carry...p30sk.

it’s now in safe with the ammo in case I run out of 9mm.

Now I’m worried about ever finding 40.

·
Registered
110 Posts
At the onset of this mess I made a normal stop at Academy Sporting goods on my way home from work.
The shelves were bare in the ammo section....Except for 10 boxes of .38 Super.
Well, I don't own a .38 Super so it looks like I'm just SOL.

Once I got into town I thought I might as well stop at my local gun shop.
There in the counter was a beautiful stainless Colt 1911...Sure, there is no harm in looking.
Oh, it's chambered in .38 Super? Really? A 1994 enhanced you say?

.38 Super is the only ammo that I can buy off the shelf now and has been for a few months.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have two hand guns on back order. Taking advantage of a military discount option. Hopefully, they will be in about 8-12 weeks. That’s after waiting now 12 weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
One of the benefits of having streamlined and focused on only certain calibers several years back is that I have no desire to branch out again and start adding random stuff. All of the 'one-offs' and rarely used calibers were eliminated, leaving only the core of primary interest. Even with this reduced subset, there are still so many makes, models, and variations that things remain quite interesting. The other benefit is that temptation is easily tempered now. I can walk right past tables and cases full of stuff and never give it a second look. If it's outside my caliber-wheelhouse, I leave it for the rest of you to enjoy! 😁 😁 😁

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've decided I want another 1911 but in 10mm.
The pistols themselves are somewhat plentiful though the prices are up from normal.
Ammo on the other hand is scare & damned expensive when i find it.
I wouldn't mind reloading the 10 but with no brass or components to be found, I'm putting any purchase on hold until (I'm praying hopefully) things return to some kind of normalcy.
I guess we'll see.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
The supply and ammo shortage has no effect on my gun purchases. I still buy what I can afford and what I want. The problem is I always want way more then my safe can hold. Soooooooo, I am now considering a 2nd safe.

I talked with one of the owners of a local gun shop a few days back about reloading supplies. He is a bit baffled as almost all the new gun owners do not reload. He sees two things affecting our supplies. The big ammo shortage has companies prioritizing supply to ammo companies and some of the recent gun company mergers have done some disruption. Truth is, I am all set with the exception of large pistol primers. I need to find some of those but will use the large pistol mag primers in the meantime.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts