1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
73,048 Posts
I picked up a VP40 because I was worried about 9mm availability. It fits me great and makes me a ‘above average’ shooter.... ok C+ level. Super affordable and very reliable. I was thinking it’s a great backup option. To my at the time carry...p30sk.

it’s now in safe with the ammo in case I run out of 9mm.

Now I’m worried about ever finding 40.
When I was in a LGS a few weeks ago a young woman and her husband came in to look at a S&W M&P Compact. She specified a .40 because she was told by her friends that 9mm ammo was unavailable. This girl was about as small as they get, and I couldn't help but wonder if she could even shoot a .40 well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I was in a LGS a few weeks ago a young woman and her husband came in to look at a S&W M&P Compact. She specified a .40 because she was told by her friends that 9mm ammo was unavailable. This girl was about as small as they get, and I couldn't help but wonder if she could even shoot a .40 well.
yeah that’s the scary part right? how many new people buy a lethal weapon, with 4 boxes of ammo and then hide it in the closet under their ugly sweater?

I’m new.... and didn’t want to be lumped into that group.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I normally keep sufficient ammo and reloading components on the shelf to be survive such “craziness”, this time however I did get caught with only a few thousand small rifle primers. I could also use some 6.5 Grendel and Creedmore 123 gr bullets.....the feral hogs love them the rest of my calibers are in no danger of extinction But I have reduced the amount of shooting done each week.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ammo is not a consideration for buying a new gun. I reload for most calibers I already have and my LGS still has good supplies of ammo and components at prices that aren't too bad. If I do buy a new gun it will be a caliber I already have or be oddball enough finding dies shouldn't be a problem. My only real problem is money.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm a little embarrassed by what I'm about to say, but I honestly didn't know how bad it was out there. I mean, I had obviously heard the stories online about ammo getting hard to find, but come on...it's out there somewhere, right? So I figured maybe I can't find Federal 9mm Hydra Shoks on the shelf at the LGS but I'll find Remington hollow points. Or FMJs. But some sort of 9mm will be there. Just not my first pick.

For the most part my recreational shooting is done with black powder. So sometimes I go a while between ammo purchases.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I'm in a gun store and find a double barrel shotgun that I would like to have. Good price, nice gun...I buy it. On the way out I tell the guy to throw in a box of 20 gauge shells. He says all he has is a 30 dollar box of turkey loads. Yeah, no thanks. I'll run over to Walmart and grab a box. Get to Walmart only to find out there is no ammo. Well, I shouldn't say that. There were 2 boxes of 450 Bushmaster and 4 boxes of 28 gauge shells.

***? So I call a buddy of mine and explain the situation. Where the heck is all the ammo? He laughs at me. Then laughs a little more. Then tells me to come over and he'll give me a box.

Look, I understand people are scared. So it makes sense that all the common combat calibers are hard to find. Seriously though, who is stacking low brass 20 gauge birdshot deep?? I'm just wanting to go rabbit hunting!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I’m waiting for prices to come back down to at least msrp on the new colt pythons. I’m afraid it will be another year before I can get one, I hope sleazy Joe doesn’t do anything rash to soon...

·
Registered
757 Posts
If I saw a deal on a gun I wanted I would get it. I have plenty of ammo abs reloading supplies.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
As long as the anti folks are at the helm I do not expect the ammo, primer or powder issue to go away. Folks who have stashed and are selling at high return on investment prices will eventually run out. Consignment ammo in Dallas has settled at $1/round for common range ammo, big stuff a bit higher and $2/round for SD ammo. Consignment primers sold @.15/each but stopped @.17/each. I see/hear first time gun buyers asking about ammo after the fact, they have no idea what the price should be.
I was in Scheel’s last week, after asking about a couple powders with no luck I changed my request. I ask the employee to bring me the biggest container of powder from the back regardless of brand/name (one to the customer). I’ll deal with what it will load later, this narrative was planned for.

·
Registered
824 Posts
We have no worries about common calibers, or guns so chambered, as we have more than "enough" to keep them running for a long while and really don't need any more. Did pick up a Ruger single Six Bisley model in .32 H&R for a custom revolver project a few months ago. All we need to load for it is either on hand or presently available (brass & cast bullets) at more than reasonable prices so, here in the hills, we are happy. We even gave a bud a box of .380 HPs a couple of weeks ago to be replaced by him whenever this crap is over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1 new gun; no new calibers and I've thinned my caliber count since 3/2020. Don't see it reverting back to my old habits for a while.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The last two purchases I did was a 10MM pistol and a 12 gauge shotgun...plenty of ammo for both.

As for a new gun caliber purchase, if I don't already have any ammo for it, I may not get it for now. I'm sure ammo will be available when this settles down...I realize it may be a while.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm pretty much at the point that I'm not really interested in any more new guns of any caliber. I did get a Kimber LW for Christmas, but it just joined in with the 1911's I already had. I've got a pretty good supply of primers, powder, etc., although after next payday I will probably add some more .45 ACP bullets to my stash. I'm more interested in practicing with the guns that I already have, and I think I've got enough ammo and components to do that for the foreseeable future...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not one bit.

Most of what I buy these days falls in the unfired/collectible category, and I keep those guns in the condition in which I found them. The current situation has no relevance for these purchases. As for the guns I buy with the intention of shooting, I have more than enough ammo to feed them -- enough ammo that I've made a few thousand from reselling just a small portion of my stock to people willing to pay the current stupid prices.

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
I’m buying nothing but collectible 1911’s now. They will never be shot so no it won’t affect my decisions.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My purchases have been focused on items that the new administration will have high on their list to attack. My pistol caliber of choice is the 9mm. I figure I have enough components and reloaded ammo to get me through this year at my normal rate of consumption. If we are still in this situation next year I am afraid that well are all in trouble. However, I am hopeful that by mid-year things will return to somewhat normal and at this point I am not willing to pay inflated prices for guns or ammo.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts