1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bought so much ammunition back in the 90's that I thought I was going crazy. When my wife and i moved into our current house it took two trips in an F250 to move my ammunition and I have added more in the years since. Unless I just started wasting it, I will never use all of it. That being said, I would still consider the availability of ammunition and loading components if I were considering the purchase of a new caliber firearm. I still shoot frequently and concentrate on the quality of my practice sessions instead of the amount of rounds I fire.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I have ammo in calibers of guns I no longer own!

·
Administrator
73,046 Posts
I have ammo in calibers of guns I no longer own!
I can't stand that, personally. When I finally decided to give up on the .40S&W I took all the ammo I had left and burned it up at the range. Having leftover ammo on hand might encourage me to buy another gun that I really don't want.

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Registered
100 Posts
If there is an “upside” to the high ammo prices it is that I won’t pay it and my knife collection has really grown. If a gun came around that I really wanted I would buy it. Right now I can’t think what it would be.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It is affecting it a little. I’ve been saving for a Dan Wesson lately, but I did dig into that fund a bit to add a couple of smaller purchases. I found a Valkyrie CCO that has my attention, and is affordable. The only purchases I’m considering are for ones that I already have components and holsters for.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I have been looking for a Mossberg 590 A1 since around March or April and there are none to be had within reason. I decided to go with some good optics on one of my rifles instead and I think I will be happier with the scope than with the shotgun.

I had a buddy call and ask me if I had any 45-70 because one of his buddies bought a Henry in 45-70 and couldn't find ammo for it. I know 45-70 is not a heavily sought out caliber and was a bit surprised that he had such a hard time finding any but the shelves have been bare except for the odd caliber here and there.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I have some .357 ammo for a snub nose that I sold. Now, I have ammo that won’t go bang. I wonder if making sure I don’t waste 150 rounds can justify a new gun?...
It did for me. Bought a sweet, lightly used 586 summer of 2020. I had 250 rounds of 357magnum in my safe, all broken hearted that they didn't have a friend.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I actually got a new Bergara Timber in .270 win coming in two days. Now I need a set of .270 dies, which are just as hard to find as everything else gun-related...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have consolidated down to twelve handgun calibers, seven rifle calibers, and 12 gauge shotguns. My safe is full with no potential for new safes. If I buy something, I have to sell something to make room. When I decide I need something new, I put one or more guns on sale. It is usually for something more collectible or more fun to shoot than what I have. I got rid of my .40 caliber handguns and .410 shotguns and ammo last year. I added .338 WinMag and .460 Weatherby rifle calibers last year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've decided I want another 1911 but in 10mm.
The pistols themselves are somewhat plentiful though the prices are up from normal.
Ammo on the other hand is scare & damned expensive when i find it.
I wouldn't mind reloading the 10 but with no brass or components to be found, I'm putting any purchase on hold until (I'm praying hopefully) things return to some kind of normalcy.
I guess we'll see.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Hello you could just change your barrel to a 400 corbon. That is very close to a 10MM. And 45 brass is easy to make into 400 also 40 cal. Bullets are still available. I like my Colt in that cal.using and Auto ordnance barrel. Case gauges are now available on eBay. I find Winchester 231 works well very accurate pistol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased a DS Arms SA58 FALin 7.62x51/.308. A wise friend of mine said if you're going to buy a rifle get one in the caliber that you have or can get the most ammo for. Currently I have approximately 12K rounds of ammo for that rifle. I see guys building rifles for 6.8, .300 blackout, .450 SOCOM & such but when it comes down to it, when the proverbial SHTF the fan, the guys on the ground are going to be carrying 5.56, .308, 9mm & .45ACP. In my humble opinion buy a rifle that you can get or scrounge ammo for. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
94 Posts
All of my tools are .45 acp and .308. So my next purchase I'm thinking of a Savage 110 Savage in .308 or a M1A Socom. But that will be a little ways off

·
Registered
34 Posts
2 purchases recently, both in calibers I already have a supply of. 9mm and 300WM

·
Registered
200 Posts
I will not be buying anything new, but know a lot of first time buyers who are. There is little ammo. My indoor range that I am a member of has a ton of ammo, If you want to pay a dollar a round for range 9mm. I just spent 300 bucks to strengthen my supply. Me, I am done. I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the poopie to hit the fan blades. It's a comin and I'm a ready......

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m not scared. I have been purchasing new guns that I have and/or do not have ammo. However, I have enough $ that I can buy ammo from those a**raping douchebags. 😜😂

·
Registered
175 Posts
On firearms themselves that is?
I have been considering a couple of purchases of late. But I do not think that I would buy anything that I did not already have a plentiful supply of ammo for. New chamberings are just not going to happen for the time being. Anyone else want to weigh in on this.
I was given the choice to purchase a rifle, handgun, or shotgun and I got myself a Beretta Over and Under 694 12 gauge. The ammo situation helped me make this decision as I originally wanted to purchase a Kimber pistol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’m not buying anything in a caliber I don’t already have.
No use owning something I can’t feed in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
It has definitely swayed me from buying another gun right now. I have various handguns and rifles and I have ammo for all of them right now. But, I have not been able to buy any new ammo in a while. In fact I am searching for some 45-70 ammo right now and I cannot find it anywhere. None of my local stores have it and after an hour searching on-line stores, I found that none of them have it either.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts