1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kimber Ultra Carry has a pretty fair rep. How about the Defender? Does it also use the double captured "Seecamp" spring set up. Interested to hear from owners. I am considering one or the Ultra or both. thanks, ricko

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yes, I've carried one for since they came out, very reliable.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I passed on several Kimbers just to wait for a Colt Defender. So far with 900 rounds thru it I could not be more pleased. It is accurate and well made. Beats the Kimber hands down and yes, it does have the duel action recoil spring system as designed by Seecamp.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ive had my Defender for 2 years now, and not once had a FTF. Very nice gun, other then the Hogue grips, very easy to conceal. I seen on the Colt website that they changed sights. They used to come with Novak style sights, now they seem to have the standard issue kind. Accuracy is about what youll expect from a short barrel. Ive ran all sorts of loads, and you will feel the bite of the 185 gr +p loads. regular 185 gr loads seem pretty pleasant though.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
they did change to standard sights, the drop in grip safety and the standard (non-extended) safety.
Personally, the original sights were always a little "tall" for me. I've been meaning to get novak's or something, but haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
All Defender's are series 90.
They list all the changes made in that post. Trigger, sights, mainspring housing, grips .357 barrel.
Slides been dehorned and semi-polished.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think that it is important to mention that reliabilty varies from firearm to firearm, even within the same brand. Unfortunately you never know what you are getting until you fire it. I really don't know what to tell you other than fire it before you buy it if possible. My dealer always lets me take a gun back to his safe and make sure that it chambers at least three brands of hollowpoints out of a full magazine, and I check to see if the last one out of the "box" chambers also. Just my .02.

·
Registered
75 Posts
jrl you my friend have a nice dealer.as for the defender ,i like the one with the fingered grips.nib for 650.that costum .357 is pretty but i never buy costomized guns and as for my 1991 models ill take them in .45 thank you very much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts