1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally interested in the CCO but almost everyone seems to be lauding the Defender as the "perfect" CCW piece.
I am used to the longer sight radius of the 5" Colts (currently CCWing a Double Eagle series 90) and am confident I can hit whatever at reasonable pistol ranges (or longer on good days) with it.
I wish to get back to a lighter Colt SA 1911 type without sacrificing too much shootability, hence the 4" CCO. Never having shot a compact .45 am I being overly concerned about sight radius? I really don't want to spend $6-700 to find out and I don't know anyone who has a Defender I can shoot before I buy it. Are the sights good enough? What can I expect?
(BTW I have much experience with the short radius and crappy sights of the PPK and it takes mucho concentration to shoot well at ranges much beyond 10'.)

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I think you will wonder how you ever got along without one
The XS types that I have are a little better that the new ones, but not enough to worry about. The new ones are better if you want to say put Meprolites on or something. Mine shoot great! These guns are very accurate and very reliable. They weigh 22.5 ounces empty!!! Recoil is nothing, kicks less than mu full size in my opinion (and others that have shot it). If you live anywhere near me, I would be happy to let you shoot mine! I am in central Iowa.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IF IT'S NOT A COLT, IT'S JUST A COMPROMISE!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
rse2, Dont hesitate too long on getting a ColtDefender. The prices just keep going up. I waited and had the same reservations you mention, put them to rest and get the gun.

I will mention the 40 has not had the same praise that the 45 has, but I have only heard of one 40 Defender that was just not reliable to any extent.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I carry one daily. From the first time I took it to the range and put 200 rounds through it with out one ftf. Fmj and hp. it ate any thing I would put in. I even mix loaded clips with all kinds of loads. After that I felt it was good enough to carry.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You can't go wrong with either choice in the CCO or the Defender, although you might find Defender a little more readily available since they have discontinued the CCO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it will be a personal thing. A lot of us seem to prefer the defender, but the cco would be a good gun also. If you carry IWB the longer sight radius wouldn't hurt concealment.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As a point of reference concerning length of site radius, I shoot a Colt SS Compact model. I can tell you that at pratical self-defense range, my 3.5" 1991-A1 Compact is deadly. I have no problem consistantly blowing the X-ring out at 21 feet. It has proven reliable and accurate right out of the box-havn't done a thing to it. It came with fixed, white dot sights, and shoots right on the money. Funny thing, when I was at a local gun shop shopping for leather, I of course mentioned the pistol I wanted the leather for. The shop keeper made some smart-ass remark about the Compact, as in it's a POS. As far as this guy was concerned, if it wasn't a Kimber, well...
Anyway, the recoil is a bit snappier than my Gold Cups, but very manageable for me. While I'm not familiar with the Defender, I can tell you that the smaller Compact shoots great, and that's the one I carry.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
As I recall, our own Col. Colt holds the Defender in pretty high esteem. Based upon the quality of his past contributions to this site, I would consider that a pretty strong endorsement, and reason enough to start saving my pennies.

Chuck

Edited to correct an inadvertent missspeilling.

[This message has been edited by StormMaster (edited 10-14-2001).]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input.
I saw a NIB CCO at a Tucson show this weekend. $750. After much drooling I put it down. A well used one for $725. Yikes.
I am a serious contender for a Defender. We'll see how things play out as I'm in no hurry.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you carefully search the auction sites and other online sites you may get lucky - I did. NIB Defender $560 - took delivery yesterday.

-- Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts