1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman,

I live in the state of california (i know you don't have to tell me.) But i'm looking for an nice bulleye/target pistol. I have narrowed down to these 4 choices.

1.) Les Baer PII with 1.5 group
2.) Les Baer DCM hardball
3.) Ed Brown executive target
4.) Wilson Combat classic (not a cqb and it comes with adjustable targets sights.)

About my experience with 1911's. I have owned over 8 1911's from kimbers, colts, wilson cqbs. springfields, even a les baer PII w/o the 1.5 group. I understand the differences to all the models and various types of 1911's out there. For example i have a light railed CQB for tactical classes and home defense purposes.

I guess my question is the Les Baer PII with the 1.5 inch group the best for money out there? or should i give ed brown a chance or go with the wilson? Also i love the look of the Les Baer DCM hardball with no front cocking serrations. can the DCM hold a candle to the PII with a 1.5 inch package?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I have two Baer P II's (both with 1.5"), an Ed Brown Exec Target, and a Wilson Combat Classic on the way.

The Les Baer's are accurate, but the Ed Brown Exec Target is just as accurate, but not near as tight. I don't know how that works, but it does.

I can't wait to see where my new Wilson will fit in.

·
Registered
494 Posts
There are some pics of a TRS w/o front cocking serrations a little further down the page. Perhaps you could get a PII in similar fashion. Of course, that's not exactly like the one submitted to the Cali DOJ, so whether or not you could get it here is a little grey.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Greg, I think I remember shooting with you out at Raahauge's Range during a couple SSA and/or Norco IPSC matches in years past, and I recalled seeing you shooting a couple different 1911s - the last one I thought was a stainless Kimber.

If you want, just PM me and we can head on out to Raahauge's and you can give my Premier-II with the 1.5" option a go around... although I don't think you'll find too much difference between that and your own Premier-II w/o the 1.5"-er. Although I do recall you were lightin' up the stages very well -- I think if you're going for Bullseye, then you may indeed see a difference. I'm just inferring that I probably wouldn't see a difference because I suck without a bench rest. :mad:

You pose a question that's good to repeat: ...is the Les Baer PII with the 1.5 inch group the best for money out there" - and I'm presuming to compare that to your short, but impressive list. Dollar for dollar, I would say the DCM Hardball is hard to beat if one is able to actually put 10 rounds into three inch groups at 50 yards - I know I can't. :dope:

Too bad the Bullseye Wadcutter by LB isn't on the CA List. Good luck on your choice.

Jim

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jjey3 said:
Greg, I think I remember shooting with you out at Raahauge's Range during a couple SSA and/or Norco IPSC matches in years past, and I recalled seeing you shooting a couple different 1911s - the last one I thought was a stainless Kimber.

If you want, just PM me and we can head on out to Raahauge's and you can give my Premier-II with the 1.5" option a go around... although I don't think you'll find too much difference between that and your own Premier-II w/o the 1.5"-er. Although I do recall you were lightin' up the stages very well -- I think if you're going for Bullseye, then you may indeed see a difference. I'm just inferring that I probably wouldn't see a difference because I suck without a bench rest. :mad:

You pose a question that's good to repeat: ...is the Les Baer PII with the 1.5 inch group the best for money out there" - and I'm presuming to compare that to your short, but impressive list. Dollar for dollar, I would say the DCM Hardball is hard to beat if one is able to actually put 10 rounds into three inch groups at 50 yards - I know I can't. :dope:

Too bad the Bullseye Wadcutter by LB isn't on the CA List. Good luck on your choice.

Jim
hey jim thanks for the kind words and kind offer! have you been shooting there still? i've been out of the game for a bit. been usually spending my time at the indoor ranges cuz of time issues since norco is a far drive for me. i went the cz route for ipsc and steel since i couldn't justify a custom 1911 which i would rarely shoot if i can make to the matches. but i can justify a nice target bullseye 1911 for the indoor range since there is one next to me 5min away. im kinda curious to shoot dcm matches tho!

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Greg - I still shoot at Raahauge's as I'm a club member - although I've tapered down the steel shooting and have been shooting more USPSA/IPSC, such as SWPL, Prado Olympic Park, and JoJo's, sticking with Lim-10 and Single-Stack Div. So I know what you're going through (decision-wise that is) - I think the 1.5" option is likely more applicable to your intended application. I just don't know enough about Bullseye or DCM to really be any more helpful. :dope:

I'll PM you with my contact info in case you decide to head out my way on a weekend or so.

·
Registered
502 Posts
On_Target said:
12/6/07

I have the Les Baer for sale, its 1300 shipped to your FFL. Its the PII 1.5" package, I have all the original paperwork, target, 1.5" guarentee, box, magazine, wrench. It has been fired approx 150 times and in like new condition. I am selling due to nerve damage in my wrist from work, can't shoot the 45's anymore. Just FYI, I will remove this post if it offends anyone.
Yikes! I don't think your post will offend anyone but it will probably get you banned, as selling guns here is prohibited. Reasonable price though. I have an Ultimate Master with the 1.5" on the way and am very excited. To the original poster: The choices you listed will all undoubtedly treat you very well. I obviously went for a Baer but I already have a Brown. One of each, that's my motto.
Good luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, its sold anyway so don't have to post. The gun is really so excellent and well made, its the tightest 1911 I've ever shot. You'll need at least 500 rounds through it to get close to break in. In the hands of a good shooter it is incredibly accurate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts