1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the newbie type question, but I looking to get a 1911 type and have narrowed it down to S&W. Don't have a 1911 so this is my first and unfortunately these guns are not accessible without ordering from our local dealer (can't check the fit and finish out first hand).

It's hard to get to much info from the S&W catalog and web site, but to the untrained eye, the current PC 945 (5" SS), #170173 looks just like PC SW1911 (5" SS), #170258. The specs on weight, etc. look the same, the only difference being grip material and finish.

Are these 2 really the same. Some posts to this forum (some a couple of years old now on this issue) talk about the grip angle and size being slightly different. Is this still true and is that the only difference?

Could someone take a moment and let me know what the difference is between these 2 guns and why you would get one over the other? Any difference in construction / quality, accuracy, recoil, etc.

THANKS!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,524 Posts
The 945 is not a 1911. It use a few real 1911 parts: grip safety, thumb safety and trigger.

The SW1911 is a 1911 clone except for the firing pin safety mechanism.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hessy said:
The PC945 is not a 1911-style pistol, despite the visual similarities. The parts do not interchange.
Okay, got it, different guns. What's the advantage, difference between the two? Why would you by a 1911 vs a 945 or vice versa? The 2 Performance Center guns I referenced above seem extremly close in terms of style, size, weight, trigger, etc. I assume they would shoot about the same (correct me if I am wrong).

How would you choose between them?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Different feel

I owned both PC 945 and 1911 and now own only 1911, because 945 parts would not interchange with 1911, which I like. The grip angle and feel are substantially different from 1911, and 945 is harder to disassemble because of the special bushing. Mags for 945 don't interchange with 1911, and can be more expensive. The 945 is extremely accurate and dependable pistol, well-suited for both bullseye and action shooting. Extractors in PC1911 and 945 is of the same type. I personally prefer my PC1911, which is as accurate and dependable, but I felt a need to put a hand-fitted Kart barrel in it, and I did-couldn't do with 945. The same goes for other parts. Now I hear that both PC1911 and 945 go for roughly the same price, which puts the 945 at a disadvantage. I guess you can still get a LNIB 945 much cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hessy said:
... Now I hear that both PC1911 and 945 go for roughly the same price, which puts the 945 at a disadvantage.
With similar options, the S&W sites lists the SW1911 as $26 more than the 945.

THANKS! I really appreciate your thoughts. Wish I could test drive both of them myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FreedomNet said:
Sorry for the newbie type question, but I looking to get a 1911 type and have narrowed it down to S&W. Don't have a 1911 so this is my first and unfortunately these guns are not accessible without ordering from our local dealer (can't check the fit and finish out first hand).

It's hard to get to much info from the S&W catalog and web site, but to the untrained eye, the current PC 945 (5" SS), #170173 looks just like PC SW1911 (5" SS), #170258. The specs on weight, etc. look the same, the only difference being grip material and finish.

Are these 2 really the same. Some posts to this forum (some a couple of years old now on this issue) talk about the grip angle and size being slightly different. Is this still true and is that the only difference?

Could someone take a moment and let me know what the difference is between these 2 guns and why you would get one over the other? Any difference in construction / quality, accuracy, recoil, etc.

THANKS!!!
I have both 945 and SW1911 SS target model. I shot 945 better than SW1911 SS target. I can easily maintain 2" group with 945 at 15 yards, but I have a hard time to keep the 4" group with my new SW1911 SS target. The crown and bushing fiting of my SW1911 is not tie. To me, the 945 feel less recoil and more attractive. Every time I brought my 945 to the range, many shooters want to check out my 945, because it look different.

·
Registered
54 Posts
SW1911 vs.PC945

I have both. The feel is different, but not to the point that I can't shoot them both comfortably. I got the SW1911 first, later got the 945 for bullseye competition. Great feel, great accuracy, great trigger. Better than the SW1911, at higher cost. With that said, I still own them both! I haven't shot a PC1911, I'd bet the feel, trigger, accuracy are similar to the 945.

At one point I talked to someone at the PC. They recommended the 945 as the better pistol. One reason, the slightly (3 degrees angle) more vertical grip provides geometry for more reliable feeding. From what I've seen, the 945 goes for $300 average cheaper than the PC1911, I got mine for considerably less than that.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I'd love to have a 3" 945 from the S&W custom shop or whatever it's called. With the thumb safety on the frame. Too bad they didn't design it around M1911 magazines. My major reason for not agressively looking for one.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have had a 5" Model 945 for several years now, and I don't shoot it nearly enough.

I similarly neglect my double stack 1911s (and, for that matter, my revolvers and 22s), even though I know they are fine handguns.

Am I the only one of us who feels the urge to sell all of his other guns and direct the proceeds into new custom and semi-custom 1911s?

Back to the point of this thread, the 945 doesn't fit in my hand the way a 1911 does, and I have never been able to get it (or me) dialed in.

I will try to start shooting it more, because I know it is a high quality firearm.

I would get a 1911 first and then consider getting a 945 after shooting one a little, if possible.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
While not a 1911, the M945 is a very nice pistol. I have one of the five-inch two-tone models with the Wilson rear sight and the orange-striped front sight. For a target pistol, the M945 is hard to beat. It is reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot.

If you are looking for a target pistol, the M945 is a very good choice. If you want a pistol to carry, I would look at a 1911. Why target only? The Briley bushing that helps provides the great accuracy is a PITA when it comes to field stripping and reassembly. The M945 is also a bit longer and wider than a 1911.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The PC945 is only made by Smith & Wesson Performance Center, and (like all PC firearms) only in limited numbers every few years.

SW 1911 pistols average $1030 in MSRP.

S&W Perfomance Center pistols average $2100 in MSRP. This includes the Perfomance Center SW1911 which has a MSRP of $2272.

The PC945, in my opinion, is more of a collectors gun. It is similiar to a 1911, but not the same. I have one and I like it very much. Performance Center does great work. However, my 1911 pistols get used much more often. Most 1911 pistols are a lot more practical than a PC945.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Speaking of the 945 reassembly problem, is there a substitute bushing (similar to a more friendly 1911 bushing) that could be fitted to the 945?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANKS to all!

Thank you all for your advice, thoughts and guidance!

Both the PC 1911 and the PC 945 sound great, wish I could afford both, but 1 is stretching about more than I can take now. I am thinking I might talk the other half into a field trip to Smith and Wesson. That way I can at least hold them and see which fits my hand better, and if I get really lucky, get to shoot one at their indoor range (I heard they sometimes carry PC models you can rent and shoot there).

Again, thanks to all, this forum is outstanding for new 1911 owners/buyers to get info and help. Before finding this forum I was about to pop for a Kimber Grand Raptor, but did some reading here and have seen the light.

·
Registered
39 Posts
molonlabe28 said:
Speaking of the 945 reassembly problem, is there a substitute bushing (similar to a more friendly 1911 bushing) that could be fitted to the 945?

Thanks.
The bushing is fitted in the slide at the factory, and does not come out after that. As someone else stated, this bushing provides for great accuracy. The parts on 945 fit together really tight, but once you get the hang of it, reassembly is not difficult.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Freedom,

I have both kinds in various sizes in the 945.

You can't go wrong either way you choose. The PC 1911 is one fine handgun. The 945 is also, though not a true 1911. The grip frame is thinner and a bit longer.

Either one will shoot one hole groups all day long.

It would be a wise move on your part to take a ride to the S&W shooting center. They indeed have all of thier current offerings to rent out and or just to fondle. Bring your own ammo and it costs even less.

Here is the sweetest shooting short barreled 45 I have ever shot.

[/url]

Bob

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
945 or a 1911?

FreedomNet said:
Okay, got it, different guns. What's the advantage, difference between the two? Why would you by a 1911 vs a 945 or vice versa? The 2 Performance Center guns I referenced above seem extremly close in terms of style, size, weight, trigger, etc. I assume they would shoot about the same (correct me if I am wrong).

How would you choose between them?
If You want a single stack 45 that is very accurate, totaly reliable out of the box, does not need to be changed in any way or send out to different "experts" to make it work, works great with magazines that the factory made for it then You buy a 945.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts