1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was handling a TRP the other day at my local shop and I really liked it. I have also read a lot about them on here over the last couple of years and it seems that owners really like them. It has a lot of features included and although it's not a "custom shop" gun, it does make a trip through to get some TLC. It looks like it has all the things you could want in a 1911.
I know there are others that would stack up quite nicely against the TRP. Kimber, STI and others have models that are super nice also in that price range.
So are there any opinions on whether the TRP is the best full featured 1911 for the money?
I am interested in hearing your opinions....
Thanks for your time and contribution.

Nala

· Registered
1,181 Posts
I would say it is a very good value especially if you could find a nice used one in the $850-$900 range. An officer with my department has one and it is reliable, accurate, shoots to point of aim and as you said has a lot of nice features. We took the factory magwell of and replced it with an S&A and had to loctite the rear sight due to it kept shooting loose, once done it has stayed put.

· Banned
1,361 Posts
This question would go any number of ways depending on who want to jump in.

Some would say the TRP is nothing more than a glorified Loaded with additional toys, other will sing praises on how great the pistol is and a good value for the price range. That is just in the SA ranks so we wont even branch out into Kimber, Colt or STI territory to keep it friendly.

I myself have an older SS TRP and couldn't be happier. The pistol was or had some time in at the factory (my best guess, expended lunch at the range) as it was dirty as could be after breaking it down for inspection. Yuck it was dirty but it was as tight as could be.

In short, for the $1050.00 I paid NIB for an SS TRP it was the best value out htere for the bucks. I still see them being sold +/_ $50.00 here and there of what I paid.

I am seriously considering find out who can weld/fill in the front serations and send the pistol to Walter Birdsong for Black T.

Karsten

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I got one w/ the Armory Kote on Sat. I really love it. I took it out Sat afternoon - not a hiccup. It was normally $1200 at the local shop, but was reduced $200 because the owner was reducing anything that had been in the store over 6 months.

So, it was about $1k for me. I was planning to buy a 1911 in that range next month at the Houston gunshow. I thought I had it narrowed down to the S&W DK and the new Sig revolution. None of the Loaded Springfields have checkering and a mag well, so that's why I was going that route.

The Sig w/o rail did not have a magwell, but the S&W had black sights. So, I was going to have to make 1 change on both of them. I knew I could not afford the TRP, so I hadn't even looked into it until I saw it at the shop.

Anyway, long story short, the TRP has all I would want, and I was fortunate to get the discount. If U can afford it, it is a great gun. No play in the slide; gun is very tight; and it is very accurate.

I usually prefer two tone or stainless guns. But, the Armory Kote is really starting to grow on me. I also planned to change the grips, but I have looked at tons of grips and photos. And, I haven't seen any I like as much on a black gun. So, i think I will keep the stock grips for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.