1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a CQB and love it, its the best pistol I've ever owned. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Tactical Elite. If all Wilsons guarantee reliability, and the full size pistols for the most part guarantee 1" groups at 25 Yards, Is the Tactical Elite really worth the extra $1000.00 over a CQB or Protector?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a $2800 Wilson and yes it is worth every penny of it to me. The feel as to trigger and smoothness of operation is just a little different than say my $1800 Wilson. They are both super guns but I believe there is more attention given to the higher cost guns when they are being built. I understand not everyone will feel this way and no one should pay that amount for a gun just for the heck of it. If you want one of the best that Wilson may offer than buy the gun and don't fret over the money. If you buy a high price car the neighbors will comment, here if you buy a high price gun the readers will comment. I just went out and bought me a $500 Springfield and that will be OK to brag about when I get it! Being in CA. I must wait 10 days from purchase to pick it up.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The difference is all hand fitted and no MIM parts on the Tacitical Elite. Sam

·
Super Moderator
1,896 Posts
John H.

Is it worth the money is the most common question on all forums.

I do not say anything here meant to be inflamitory or offensive.

What has value to one does not to the other.

What some will buy for $5000 will sell at a patio sale for $50 later.

Many times I have seen folks spend plenty of their hard earned dollars for something I wonder why some one made it.

How many times have you seen a gun customized by a relatively unknown who does excellent work and the amount invested is...lets say $1500 plus the $500 gun. What does it resell for. Maybe $400.

I just spent close to $4000 for a full house Richard Heinie. Am I nuts. Some will say yes. Some will say no.

Can I afford it. Heck no. That is why I am in the custom 1911 business to pay for my toys.

Personally I sell and resell the custom and production 1911.

Is the workmanship of the Tactical Elite worth it. I would say yes and I say that not because I retail the Wilson Combat line.

There are differences in your CQB and the Tactical Elite to include time invested in building the gun.

Not everything is parts.

Yes, I have a Tactical Elite. I sold a (possesion) Tactical Service Pistol to help pay for it. The one I have has had some mods to it by the second owner I really like. Novak Night Sights and an NP3 lower. The NP3 in with the armortuff make for a very attractive package (two tone look). It also make for one very, very, forgiving shooter with the dirty ammo I shoot.

I have shot several of the tactical elites in the past and always wanted one but finally had the resources to get this one.

The coned barrel has a pronouced effect to control recoil and to aid in second shot follow up. The gun is very easy to shoot with 200 Grain Plus P Gold Dots. Very fast follow up.

I will add this. If you are happy with what you have and it "ain't" broke, don't fix it.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The difference between the Tactical Elite and their other guns is not obvious but it is there and in my opinion it is worth the money. Biggest thing to me is that it starts with the coned barrel system--this is the same barrel system they used in their championship level guns which they specialized in a few years ago before they went to a production type of operation like they have now. These barrels were (maybe still are) the basis of their comp guns which were used in the Wilson guns that won many national titles for several years. And then the fitting and internal polishing, overall, is even better than their semi custom guns (and a regular Wilson gun is no slouch). It's kinda like cars. I'm pretty happy driving my Ford or Chevy to the grocery store but I'd probably like driving a Mercedes even more. Like guns, both will haul the groceries but... well, you get my drift. If you can afford the Tactical Elite get it. If you can't tell the difference (and I'm not talking down to anyone who can't see the differences), I wouldn't suggest you spend the money because you are not ready yet for that kind of gun, and may not be happy with it.Look closely at the two side by side, feel the way they operate, and then decide for yourself.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I kniw this wasn't asked for, but you could have most smiths build you whatever you desire for about that price. So if there is one little bitty thing that you don't like about the Tactical Elite, you should talk to one of the top name smiths and see if they will build you exactly what you want for about the same price. Also, that will truely be a custom gun. Almost $3000 for a production gun seems high, but I don't own one.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Doesn't the CQB have the same 1" guarantee? So you won't be gaining any sort of accuracy for the extra grand.

Instead of getting the TE, consider getting another CQB, but have the appropriate MIM parts switched out for better parts. It will cost a little more than the normal CQB, but not a lot more. You will have an upgraded gun, a new gun, the same accuracy as the TE, and it won't cost you an additional grand.

While you are at it, specify the sights you want, specify if you want the gun in all black or all grean or black over green or green over black.

Do you want a full length guide rod, put it in.

If you really want a cone barrel gun, then get a compact CQB.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Is the Tactical Elite worth the money it costs? I'll let you know after I run a couple thousand rounds through it.

I don't have a CQB to compare it to though. But if Terry has an extra laying around and wants to send it to me I'll do a comparison for y'all.

So far with about 750 rounds through it not one malfunction with FMJ and Hydra shoks or Golden Saber HPs.

As to the Armor Tuf wearing off slower on the Tactical Elite, I wouldn't be able to answer that either. This one is Hard-Chromed.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ross T.

PS I wouldn't mind getting a hold of Terry's Heinie either
PISTOL that is!

[This message has been edited by ROSANGHAL (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have the Stealth model which uses the same type of lock up in an compact frame as the Tactical Elite. Out of the 3 Wilson's I own...it is my most favorite and accurate as well as my everyday carry piece. If you have the means, and price is no object, I would recommend one!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by JSP:
Rosanghal

That is a beeeyoooteeeful pistol!

I bet it shoots OK as well

JSP
Hi JSP

Yeah it does shoot OK

I took it to a tactical study group I go to once a month and had a sweeeeeeeet day!

I couldn't miss anything! It was hitting everything I was aiming at, and I was aiming at what I was suppose to be aiming at too.

Had some man-on-man pepper popper shoots for fun and I was having a good day, I was in the flow. Even started to throw some dry fire bullets in during this exercise to work the TRB and speed reload drills. Won 3 out of 3.

It was such a good day and I felt I could do no wrong I thought, "Hmmmmmmm maybe it isn't just going good in shooting? Maybe it's just a good day for everything I go for?" So I went to the first convience store I saw and played the lottery

Ok, ok so it wasn't THAT good a day only hit three of the Super 6 numbers I needed (Wish I could get in the flow with them numbers too)
But it's a awesome shooter.

I like it
Ross T.

[This message has been edited by ROSANGHAL (edited 05-14-2001).]

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ross,

LOL - too bad about the lottery

I know what you mean about the "can do no wrong" type days...but we'll just give the gun the credit
jus kiddin

Seriously, a gorgeous pistol!

JSP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts