1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I bought a Remington 1911 A1 R1. The gun store prices for ammo was really high so I stopped off at Walmart to stock up. The "expert" at the ammo counter ask me if I wanted ACP or Auto. I am new to 1911s and my gun has 45 Auto on the barrel, so I bought a box of Remington .45 Auto FMJ.
My question is there a difference in ACP and Auto? From what I have read on Wikipidia they are the same.
What is the real truth?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,731 Posts
Same-same.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
45 ACP is the ammunition that the 45 AUTOMATIC COLTS use. (A.C.P. = Automatic Colt Pistol)
45 Auto is the name of the ammo that the rest of them shoot because they are embarrassed that they are not Colts.

(Actually the ammunition is one and the same)

·
Registered
801 Posts
One more variable in the mix is 45 GAP. (Glock Auto Pistol) a shortened 45 round that WILL NOT WORK. But yes 45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) & 45 Auto are the same. As mentioned, colt .45 LC is the cowboy round & will not work.
I refuse to acknowledge the above listed round suggest everyone else do the same. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
What round??? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
And no .45 Auto Rim but I doubt you'll ever see a box at Wally World.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Is there any difference in .45 auto and .45 ACP

My first thought on this post was-if you don't know that much about the gun in your hand-you don't need to have one ! Get a clue about what you have, firearms possession and ownership is a very serious obligation! My 2nd thought-Contact the Manager at that Wal-MArt and get that dumbass employee fired before they cost Wal-MArt $XXXXXXXX in lawsuits because they were incompetent! I feel your pain-I have a relative(LEO)nwho has a duty to collect ammuntion from retail outlets that has been returned and they can't resell. I have over a 1000 rounds of rifle/pistol/shotgun ammo that styupid clerks sold stupid people that found it didn't work in the gun! Buy you amo from a Gun Dealer-no a big box store-they have a clue!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bubbinator, don't you think that was kind of harsh? We were all new to something at some point, and if we didn't ask questions, how were we supposed to learn?

Not everyone is, nor do they want to be experts on something. Nor should they have to be.

We use vernacular in our speech that others might not understand... like FLGR or FCS... (Full length guide rod and forward cocking serrations)...

Ask your questions if you don't know the answer. No such thing as a stupid question.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Bubbinator, don't you think that was kind of harsh? We were all new to something at some point, and if we didn't ask questions, how were we supposed to learn?

Not everyone is, nor do they want to be experts on something. Nor should they have to be.

We use vernacular in our speech that others might not understand... like FLGR or FCS... (Full length guide rod and forward cocking serrations)...

Ask your questions if you don't know the answer. No such thing as a stupid question.
+1.

Enjoy your new firearm OP.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Yesterday I bought a Remington 1911 A1 R1. The gun store prices for ammo was really high so I stopped off at Walmart to stock up. The "expert" at the ammo counter ask me if I wanted ACP or Auto. I am new to 1911s and my gun has 45 Auto on the barrel, so I bought a box of Remington .45 Auto FMJ.
My question is there a difference in ACP and Auto? From what I have read on Wikipidia they are the same.
What is the real truth?:confused:
Welcome to the forum, Chuck.

Don't be too disappointed if Walmart's staff isn't the brightest. At least
their prices are good.

Joe

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Firearms and ammunition nomenclature can be very confusing to the novice. Many cartridges have different names. The OP was confused about 45 ACP vs 45 Auto. Then there is the 9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum or 9x19 or 9mm Nato which is the same cartridge. However, the 9mm Kurz and 9mm Makarov are both different cartridges. I remember as a kid the confusion over 30-30 Winchester vs .30 WCF (Winchester Centerfire). Also as a kid I wondered how 38 specials could be fired in a 357 magnum revolver. Why is the 38 special called that if the bullet diameter is .357 just like the magnum? Why is the .38-40 not called a .40-40 since the bullet is actually .401 cal? The reason I heard was that Winchester wanted a name that customers would not confuse with the .44-40. The brass for the 38 special is the same length and diameter as the 38 Long Colt. However, that cartridge had a heeled bullet with a bullet the same diameter as the cartridge. When the 38 special was named the 38 came from the diameter of the brass not the bullet, which is .357.

Speaking of the .44-40, it is also referred to as the .44 Winchester or .44 WCF and .44 Largo. Back to 45 cal cartridges there is the 45 Colt often incorrectly referred to as the 45 Long Colt. There was never a 45 Short Colt. There was the 45 Schofield which was a shorter version of the 45 Colt used in the breaktop S&W Schofield revolver. The Long Colt moniker came from people who were clarifying that they wanted the 45 Colt, not the shorter 45 Schofield which also fits the 45 Colt revolvers. The Long Colt term, despite being incorrect was used often enough that people began to refer to the 45 Colt as the 45 Long Colt. To confuse matters there is the 45 Auto Rim which was designed for revolvers chambered for the 45 ACP. It cannot be used in 45 Colt revolvers as the rim is thicker and larger in diameter than the 45 Colt cartridge.

The whole point of this is that cartridge names can be very confusing to the novice. We all had to learn this by asking and reading. When someone asks a newbie type question we should be a little more tolerant and more helpful. When I started shooting I didn't know what I know now. With gun ownership being under constant attack we should welcome any newcomers and be tolerant of any newbie questions. If you don't want to answer the question you can always refer the person a source of the information.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Good post NonPCnraRN! I tell you one ammo that really had be baffled :scratch: That is the .38 S&W .I never even knew there was such a beast and could not figure out why a .38 spl would not work right.I think I got one to finally fire.:rolleyes: Anyway for those that don't know the .38 S&W is one of those older obsolete calibers.I finally found that Magtech and Fiocchi have loaded ammo for it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,731 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.