1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.I am new to hi-powers. My first one was an internal extractor type I bought from AIM surplus. Well the extractor was beat up and would only extract the first 2 and last 2 of each mag without double-feeding. I bought a replacement extractor($90) and had a gunsmith fit it ($90) and the problem continues. The gun had an old mag so I purchased 3 new FN mags from Italy. Both the old and new mags have double-feeds/failure to extract. When I rack the slide back, the round comes out fine. I could go through a whole mag without a problem. But when firing, it does not always.

I used the mags in a newer Argentine FM Hi Power with external extractor, and that one also had some double-feeds.

Are the mags the problem?
Is this a common problem with hi powers?
How do I fix this?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have not had problems with double feeding, no matter what brand of magazine I have used. Those FN mags should have been good to go.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is this a common problem with Hi Powers?
Failure to extract or feed is probably the most predominant malfunction issue with any auto feeding pistol, but no, it's not any more common with hi powers, even the early ones as far as I can tell.

Are the mags the problem?
It doesn't sound like it. Sounds more like insufficient tension on the extractor. Operating the slide by hand won't always tell the story, more things/speeds happening during live fire.

How do I fix this?
Early Hi Powers with internal extractors are less popular than newer, external extractor Hi Powers, but there is likely someone on this forum familiar with them that can offer some recommendations.
My suggestion would be to return it to the gunsmith who worked on it.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
It sounds to me like your internal extractor still isn't adjusted properly.

·
Registered
688 Posts
This is my opinion which many will question or ridicule, but I have found Hi Powers to be more reliable than 1911s, even full custom ones that I own. Actually, my sloppy loose WWI frame/WWII slide cobbled together 1911 is pretty near 110% reliable--I can't remember it having a problem, at least with hardball ammo. I routinely shoot 3 Hi Powers on a weekly or semi-weekly basis without any problems. So, I'm surprised with your problem. I'm not trying to doubt your gunsmith, but does he know Hi Powers well? Can he help you with figuring out this problem?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Sounds like the 'gunsmith' didn't fit the extractor properly...

Given you paid a lot for the job, I think I'd take it back to him and ask him to make it right.

A correctly fitted extractor should be 100%.

FWIW

CHuck

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I would have returned the gun to Aim surplus, but they have a 30-day return policy and I did not get to the range in time. I will know better next time.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Chiton, the magazines are not the problem. They have nothing to do with extraction or ejection. No, it is not a common problem. The older internal extractor guns will sometimes leave the last expended cartridge case sitting on top of the empty magazine follower. This does not normally interfere with reliability and the empty case will fall out if the gun is tilted to the right or the when the empty magazine is ejected. The later external extractors are more positive in function, as well as being much less expensive, commonly available and don't require gunsmith installation. There are several different potential issues that may cause double feeds and failures to extract. Since I don't have the pistol in hand, I'll refrain from offering advice on this. FWIW, Don Williams/Action Works in Chino Valley,AZ. is very experienced with all things Hi Power and would be a good man to chat with reference these issues...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thanks guys. I would have returned the gun to Aim surplus, but they have a 30-day return policy and I did not get to the range in time. I will know better next time.
Well, if you had acted within the grace period, you would have at least had that option. Stuff like running over happens.

Having said that, it seems to me that for what you paid the gunsmith, you should now have a properly functioning BHP. After all, he DID test fire the pistol to confirm his work was doing the job as it should be, correct?

I would call him up and ask him nicely why the pistol still wasn't properly extracting rounds when it must have worked properly for him. Maybe he will tell you he is using factory ammo and you are using handloads. Maybe he will say he tried it with a different magazine. And maybe he will say, actually, he didn't bother confirming that the work he did and was paid for was performing as it should.

If you took your vehicle to a garage because the transmission wouldn't shift, and when you picked it up when they told you the work was done and to come pick it up, and it still wouldn't shift... wouldn't you head right back to the garage and tell them to do it right? Or better yet, demand your money back because of non-performance of work and go somewhere else?

As the other guys have already said, the factory mags are consistently reliable, although there is always a possibility of a bad magazine. However, you bought three, correct?

I'd try all three of those mags in another BHP, and if they worked fine, then I would be heading back to the gunsmith who did the work.

Oh yeah: No, it is not a common problem.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Are you using reloads?

Did you change the springs? If so, what brand?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts