1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I detail-stripped my Colt new series 70 tonight and found this... I'm not sure if it's normal or not. The thin web between the disconnector tunnel and mag well was broken through. Here are some pictures:

Could any of our resident experts and 'smiths let me know if this gun needs to go back to Colt? My primary concern is that the jagged tip could be a stress riser and a crack might move upwards from that point.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Joe

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm not a smith or an expert... but here's my 2 cents. I've seen that on other 1911's before and its normal. The way the hole is machined it sometimes breaks through like that. My Colt is much worse looking than that and has well over 50k rounds through it and hasn't cracked yet.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Joe, I don't know what is considered "acceptable" by Colt Service, but I suspect they will want to see this and decide.

Look up Mark1648 over in the Colt Forum, PM him and ask him to look here at your pictures. Mark is a Colt management person, and can give you a straight answer.

For me, I'd send it back - none of my Colts in over 25 years "broke through" in this area. But is it a problem? Let Colt tell you. Then if a problem develops later, you have documentation.

They have been giving sterling service as of late - I know of no one with a legitimate complaint who has asked for a defect to be remedied who was not ultimately satisfied. (If they were willing to work with Colt, that is.)

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That's normal. In fact it's pretty much unavoidable-- the larger disconector clearance hole intersects the rear of the mag chute at a very oblique angle-- so a feather edge of steel here..... just happens. Some frames will show it less than others, but it's an area that I like to "dull out" since it's unsightly (especially the one pictured!), it could, I suppose, catch a ctg. rim as a mag is on its way in, but mostly, if a gun is going to crack it's going to start someplace thin or in a sharp corner.

Some frames don't have it because they are made differently-- like a cast Caspian frame has a large area that is actually perpendicular to the mag chute, and the new SW's are machined very differently in this area. Some frames are tumble-deburred and they look good sometimes-- but basically these guns have been made this way since the turn of the century and it's not a serious, immediate problem if it's a problem at all.

I have seen all of one gun (alloy frame) actually crack here, and it probably would not have reached a point where something would happen as a result, but still I do like to dull, deburr, and radius the area.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I agree. As a practical matter, I doubt that runout will either expand or ever cause any trouble. But it is not right on a new gun; I would return it.

Jim

·
Registered
531 Posts
If Colt considers it a defect I guess I’ve looked at dozens of defective Colts. I think Ned has given very sound advice. If you do bring it to Colts attention let us know what they say......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting replies so far. I sent a private message to Mark the Colt rep who told me it wasn't right and should be returned. It will go back, for this and a few other minor things (like the loose, bent plunger tube).

I'm a little surprised that there's such a difference of opinion as to whether or not this is normal. I understand, from the simple geometry of it, that the web of metal there will be thin. I don't think it's right, though, for the gun to leave the factory with a jagged, torn-looking edge there. If the web is going to be broken through, I think it should be radiused as Ned said, rather than left jagged.

Ned said:
but mostly, if a gun is going to crack it's going to start someplace thin or in a sharp corner.
This spot is both thin and comes to a sharp point. I'm not an engineer, but it looks to me like a place where a crack might start.

Thanks for all the replies.
Joe

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Whether or not something is normal does not mean that it is proper or acceptable. It was somewhat normal for Ford Pintos to burst into flame when rear-ended at speeds over 30 mph, but not acceptable. While the imperfection may commonly occur, it is obviously not a design intent. Even if the person finishing out the part noticed the unintended imperfection, you can clearly see that no attempt was made to finish out the irregular surface. So the broken out area may not be a real threat to the functioning of the gun, but the fact that it was not handled properly by the person who finished out the frame or the Quality Control people at Colt does really make you stop and wonder what other defects or imperfections are passed off as OKAY simply because they aren't apparent to the exterior of the finished product. dsk has already noted quite a few costmetic defects on newer Colt 1911s, but the irregular edges on this frame goes beyond a cosmetic defect. There is a very real reason for not leaving ragged, irregular, and jagged edges on such products as such edges are often what ends up as the starting point for some kind of failure, such as fracturing or rust. Had it been smoothed and polished, then that might be another matter.

For the hardliners of Colt products, you can darn sure bet that this sort of mismilling was NOT what JMB intended for the gun or he would have had it finished out and maybe squared off like the edge below from when the problem deviates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts