1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range yesterday and decided to bring my turnbull CQB .45 which doesn't get shot often. Anyway when I got home and took it apart for cleaning I noticed the ejector (I think that's what it is) looks damaged. What do you guys think is going on here, and is it a problem? Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Some unusual peening there. If the ejector is not loose, file it back to its original profile and shoot on. If the ejector is loose which I suspect it might be, you can clean it up and use a dab of loctite to secure it or you can send it back to the mothership and let them stake it or whatever method they use to secure it.

·
Super Moderator
14,621 Posts
Looks normal to me. A little peening of the ejector on the face like that is normal - if it bothers you or affects function it is easy to dress a little with a whetstone. If not causing a problem, not worth worrying about. The ejector is made to not be hard enough to destroy your brass casings upon ejection, so it will peen a little. One reason I stay away from steel-cased ammo.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't believe it's causing any problems, and I have never shot steel cased ammo either. My 3 other 1911's don't have this going on and this gun maybe has 1500 rds thru it. Here is another pic. I don't know how to add multiple pics to one post. Thanks for the help fellas.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am a 1911 aholic, I have over 50 1911s, 10 of which are Wilsons, three of which are Super Grades. I have been collecting and shooting them over 50 years. None of mine are like that. If it was a cheaper brand, I would stone or file down, but being a Wilson, I would send in for them to take care of.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
You're fine. This issue appeared a couple years ago in this thread and although the OP's photos no longer appear, your ejector looks the same as the OP's did. Note WCR's reply in post #7

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Our ejector has a kind of a tip on it to control ejection instead of just being flat so the smaller surface area can peen over time in some guns. Usually it is self limiting. If it drags on the slide (shouldn't) you can call us and we will take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Ejector profiles are something you can adjust/tune with a file depending on how/where you want your brass to eject. It's like hitting a golf ball with a driver .......you pick the degree of loft which in turn controls the behavior of the object being struck.

FWIW I have never had any peening of an ejector profile on any 1911 I have owned. The profile has always remained intact even on my CQB. If you do peen the ejector profile, the ejection behavior will change. Brass is a softer metal than the ejector which is what I shoot exclusively. The OP mentioned steel casings........If the Wilson ejector is softer then that is the cause. It is an undesirable consequence of shooting the steel cased ammo. File the burr flush and switch back to brass.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It does look to have a slight burr sticking up on it, so I would file that much off at least.....I can't believe your slide isn't catching on that. And like Jimsea said, check to make sure it isn't coming loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your in luck!

First I want to ask if that ejector is removable or integrated?

I was at the range and suddenly my RIA officers 1911 started malfunctioning what I call a coffin where the casing gets caught horizontally, bit between the breech and the slide. I took it home and found the ejector hook inside of the magazine, it snapped off of the receiver.
I took it to the range a short time later and found that every shot did the same.
It became a $500 paper weight and I wanted to cry. Suddenly (a month later) I had an epiphany, I called the Armscor service number on their website and got no answer.
I then emailed the customer service representative and promptly received a reply.
I payed for shipping (a whopping $150 charge) and sent it off for repairs.
A month later (yesterday) I received in the mail via Fed ex a brand new second generation RIA officers 1911 and promptly stripped it down to find the new version has a removable ejector hook PRAISE THE LORD!!
So to make a long story longer call the manufacturer and see if it is under warranty because most firearm companies have a pretty good warranty plan even if you are the second owner.
If not, find the ejector for that model and change it yourself. YouTube has a plethora of instructional videos for just about every firearm known to man... And some women.

GOOD LUCK and GOOD NIGHT!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the same problem with a Supergrade Wilson and Wilson replaced the extractor and said that the peening was due to improper heat treatment. Mine was a bit off to the side and in battery made it very very difficult to hand cycle the slide and the more the pistol was shot, the more the peening affected the pistol. Send it back for replacement, because if you file it, sooner more than later, it will continue to peen until it gets causes issues with extraction.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with drjon, I looks like it didn't get hardened. if there is a warranty on the gun I would send it in for a replacement. Ejectors are usually just hardened on the tip. If you chose to run it a bit more i would file down the burs.
GRIZZ

·
Registered
641 Posts
It's not a big deal, if it does not catch on the slide.
Having said that, I've never had ejector peening on any of my 1911s with thousandths rounds through (I shoot brass only) including my Wilsons and even my WC .460Rowland Hunter is peening free.

Edit: Pic added.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Ejector profiles are something you can adjust/tune with a file depending on how/where you want your brass to eject. It's like hitting a golf ball with a driver .......you pick the degree of loft which in turn controls the behavior of the object being struck.

FWIW I have never had any peening of an ejector profile on any 1911 I have owned. The profile has always remained intact even on my CQB. If you do peen the ejector profile, the ejection behavior will change. Brass is a softer metal than the ejector which is what I shoot exclusively. The OP mentioned steel casings........If the Wilson ejector is softer then that is the cause. It is an undesirable consequence of shooting the steel cased ammo. File the burr flush and switch back to brass.
Loved the post Jimsea! Nice to see how the different manufacturers make the part. I'm guessing that the gusset on front of the majority of the ejectors is a "stiffener" of sorts to prevent breakage from the repeated hammering it receives loading the next round. At any rate, I wonder why some do and some don't - even a couple that had a slant to them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got around 3000-3500 rounds through my Para Ordnance with no visible wear. I'm really amazed at how well this gun has run in the 4 years I've owned it. It eats every type of ammo I've thrown at it, though I only run brass cased.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts