1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks like a legit Series 80 Colt Government Model to me.
Same here. That's exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ser# 2929055 and has the word Colts on slide. What model is this? Thinking about buying this. Supposedly new in box.
It looks just like my Series 80 (what Colt called 1991). It looks all stock other than the aftermarket grip. Colt produced that model all the way until about 2018.

If the price is right, buy it. Don’t let the firing pin safety deters you.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
It's a #O1991 Series 80 Government Model. The only thing that's not original are the grips.

·
Registered
23,127 Posts
As others have mentioned it looks original except for the grips (stocks) which would have looked like the ones on my 38 Super I bought new in 2013.

And it has a serial number in the 2833xxx range. Your serial number is not in the Colt serial number lookup yet but it would have been made later than 2013.

The fit and finish on mine is great and one reason I bought it from a LGS back in the day. However the fit and finish does vary from gun to gun so look the one you are thinking of buying over well. My 38 Super was about $900 from the LGS back in the day thanks to local sales tax.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My identical Super is 2822xxx and it’s 2007 production. As another member noted, pay no attention to the Series 70 vs. 80 stuff. It’s picking the fly poop out of the pepper. If my GM is a representative example, they’re excellent. It’s tight as a tick, very nicely fitted and finished. It’s accurate and been100% reliable from day 1. If I can find another at a reasonable price I’ll buy it. I’d like to put a bobbed hammer and brighter front sight on it. Maybe try an arched MSH.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Question: I bought my O1991 new in 2014, it has a stamped serial number. The pistol here has a laser-etched serial number. When did they stop stamping the serial numbers on O1991s?

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
It seems they routinely go back and forth between stamped, laser-engraved and dot-matrix serial numbers. I'm guessing that they have all three types of machines in service, and whichever machine is free to accept the next batch is the one used.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
No problem. BTW the OP's pistol has a SN applied with a dot-matrix machine. An engraved SN looks like the ones on the new O1911C Classics. And of course a stamped one should be obvious.

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
Ser# 2929055 and has the word Colts on slide. What model is this? Thinking about buying this. Supposedly new in box.
Allow me to split hairs here.

It's kinda like cars. It is not new in the box unlesss it has never been sold retail before.

If sold at an earlier date, then it is used and should be priced accordingly.

·
Administrator
71,901 Posts
Allow me to split hairs here.

It's kinda like cars. It is not new in the box unlesss it has never been sold retail before.

If sold at an earlier date, then it is used and should be priced accordingly.

Splitting hairs even further, the O1991 is now discontinued so there technically is no longer a "new" or MSRP price. They'll sell for whatever the market will bear regardless of condition.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Having been a dealer for over 30 years, now retired, what do you call a never sold gun, in a display case. The box is in the back room waiting for the gun to be sold. It is not new in the box, it has been taken out of the box. To me a new gun, never been fired, but wait, they are proof tested, and not cleaned, so again not new in the box, in the original box, wrapped in the original plastic with all paper work, a slippery slope. I still have Colts that I had for sale when a dealer, in the box. So to me they are new in the box, if I decide to sell at some later date.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Having been a dealer for over 30 years, now retired, what do you call a never sold gun, in a display case. The box is in the back room waiting for the gun to be sold. It is not new in the box, it has been taken out of the box. To me a new gun, never been fired, but wait, they are proof tested, and not cleaned, so again not new in the box, in the original box, wrapped in the original plastic with all paper work, a slippery slope. I still have Colts that I had for sale when a dealer, in the box. So to me they are new in the box, if I decide to sell at some later date.
I think that the after market grips are the clue here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts