1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I purchased my first 1911 and while running some reloaded FMJ thru it just to get "a feel" for the handgun I had a type of jam occur which I have never experienced with any 9mm or .40.

Granted, this is a surplus Sistema which I'm sure could use some feed-ramp buffing, but after a live round failed to seat properly,I cleared the handgun and found the round that failed to feed properly a full 3-4mm shorter than it should be.

Obviously, the forward recoil forced the bullet to seat itself further in the casing than it should be.

Is this a type of malfunction that is not unusual for a .45 load, or is it a case of a BAD reload?

Thanks.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Sounds like bullet set-back - caused by poor reloading. Make sure that you have the correct amount of taper crimp. More importantly, make sure all your brass is full length sized correctly. Brass sizing is what prevents set back primarily, and a good firm taper crimp is also important.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I believe this problem is due to the ammo.
"Hardball" FMJ will normally run well in most 1911 45acp's in good working condition. That is of course if the ammo is loaded to correct spec's. Make sure your tapper crimp die is set properly.
Once your sure your ammo is up to par and you still experince this FTF, a trip to a good pistolsmith is in order. If you plan on shooting FMJ "ball" a good polish job on the feed ramp will most likely do the trick. Have your 'smith check the barrel lugs, bushing and the barrel link and pin for slop.
Older 1911's are weak in these areas and are the cause of many problems including perhaps yours. Good luck and be SAFE with the thing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shane,

Thanks for the reply. I should have been a little more specific though, sorry.

I don't reload, myself. These are rounds that I picked up at the last local gunshow. I had seen this dealer at his booth for years so I decided he must be fairly reputable to still be in the business, so I purchased a few hundred rounds from him.

What I am curious about is this...is this type of ammo malfunction dangerous? Or is just something that is relatively harmless that I may run across as a result of buying reloaded rounds?

Thanks again for your input

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
As a rule, I will not shoot anyone else's reloads. You just never know.....

It sounds like a few may have missed the sizing die or the crimp wasn't set properly.

Bullet set-back is a concern, but it is not as catastrophic in .45 ACP, as this is a relatively low pressure round. This is not to say that the pressures could be elevated above max, but a kaboom is not likely unless they double charged the load. Again, you just never know....

A new extra power mag spring might not hurt either. It will allow the cartridge to spring up into the chamber faster, instead of plowing into the feed ramp with such force.

·
Administrator
72,119 Posts
Some folks reload their .45 cases too many times. The case wall thins out, and the crimping die can no longer squeeze down on the bullet far enough. A while back I had a real problem with Remington cases doing this. After just two reloadings the bullet would no longer hold firm inside the case.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
You need to be extremely careful with Gun Show reloads! High volume loaders often use range brass that they have no idea of the history of. I was at an indoor range in FL one day and barely stopped a fella from running another round through a .45 that had a bullet lodged in the barrell. This was from gun show reloads. The primer had pushed the bullet far enough up the barrell to allow him to clear the case and chamber another round. I'm glad I caught him, I really didn't want to be in the next booth if he had fired in that condition. Also from personal experience I have purchased remanufactured ammo that was not powerful enough to function in my .45 Llama.

If God hadn't meant for man to have guns, He wouldn't have sent us John Browning!

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts