1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Need your help to know if the barrel lug wear in the pics is unusual and needs something to be corrected or just normal wear?

I'm just asking because the rest of the edges are sharp and not rounded its just on the spots I encircled.

I posted the slide pics as well and cut outs where the lugs lock on the slide are still sharp and not rounded.

Can I keep on shooting it?

It's a FEG hi power clone by the way.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,735 Posts
Seems unusual to have that 'dent' at nearly the same place on each leading edge. Of course, the corresponding locations in the slide were either too fuzzy or too dark to tell anything about, so there's not much to say at this point. I'm thinking it could be as simple as the barrel was damaged during manufacturing/assembly, or the raw casting had 'divots' that the normal machining did not remove, and since it didn't affect performance or appearance (with gun assembled), it was used as-is. If it happened when shooting, it seems like there would be corresponding 'lumps' on the edges of the slide lugs. At this point they would appear as bright, wider areas as they most likely would have been quickly worn down as the they and the barrel mated. FEG steel is like that - it peens rather than breaks. Some look at this as 'soft steel' but it's done that way on purpose. FEG had a long history of making military and police guns for several countries as well as Hungary. I think they developed alloys/heat treating that are 'forgiving' rather than being more brittle. However, if there are no corresponding places on the slide lugs, and these parts are all original to the gun, the barrel lugs must have been 'dented' when installed.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
The KISS principle answer is as mr saxman pointed out, if there is no corresponding wear in the slide, I would not worry. It does not look from the picture provided that the anomaly is wear induced.

I am still trying to come to grips however with this idea of a barrel blank being a casting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
suggestion

Clean it up squeaky clean then hit those spots with a magic marker. If, after shooting some, the marker wears away then you need to look for the matching wear point. If not, it's very likely not a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clean it up squeaky clean then hit those spots with a magic marker. If, after shooting some, the marker wears away then you need to look for the matching wear point. If not, it's very likely not a problem.
The KISS principle answer is as mr saxman pointed out, if there is no corresponding wear in the slide, I would not worry. It does not look from the picture provided that the anomaly is wear induced.

I am still trying to come to grips however with this idea of a barrel blank being a casting.
Seems unusual to have that 'dent' at nearly the same place on each leading edge. Of course, the corresponding locations in the slide were either too fuzzy or too dark to tell anything about, so there's not much to say at this point. I'm thinking it could be as simple as the barrel was damaged during manufacturing/assembly, or the raw casting had 'divots' that the normal machining did not remove, and since it didn't affect performance or appearance (with gun assembled), it was used as-is. If it happened when shooting, it seems like there would be corresponding 'lumps' on the edges of the slide lugs. At this point they would appear as bright, wider areas as they most likely would have been quickly worn down as the they and the barrel mated. FEG steel is like that - it peens rather than breaks. Some look at this as 'soft steel' but it's done that way on purpose. FEG had a long history of making military and police guns for several countries as well as Hungary. I think they developed alloys/heat treating that are 'forgiving' rather than being more brittle. However, if there are no corresponding places on the slide lugs, and these parts are all original to the gun, the barrel lugs must have been 'dented' when installed.
Guys,

Thank you for the inputs.

Will do the marker thing and see what happens.

Regards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts