1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend tells me all he does to clean his Colt 1911 is to field strip and spray it down with WD-40. He sprays down the barrel and around the slide & frame. let's it soak a few and wipes it of, rins patches till clean, lubes and thats it. Says its better & easier. I realize it's a solvent but will it hurt the finish of Aluminum or Stainless?
Thanks,
BT

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I don't like WD-40 for anything, but it will not hurt either aluminum or stainless steel.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Throw the WD away and never buy it again.It will deactivate a primer or powder because it will penetrate the smallest of spaces (around a primer cup!).

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have several guns that are in their thirties. They are rust-free and in excellent condition (with just a smidgen of holster wear on the two Smiths and a Ruger). I've always cleaned them in the normal way, then given them a light treatment of WD-40.

It's interesting that others have had bad results with WD-40, and I have no idea why that is. Many years ago, this "miracle oil" was a mainstay of the "fish bugs" (game wardens) on the Gulf of Alaska, whose weapons simply had to survive constant exposure to salt air and salt spray. Protected with WD-40, survive they did.

I've recently given up WD-40 for two reasons. First, I know that it could possibly contaminate a loaded round (although I've never had that happen in 35 years). And there are products on the market now that are vastly superior to what was available in the 60s, so there is no longer any pressing reason to use WD-40.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts