1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to a detailed inspection of the Army Colt from a previous post. Here are the details.
1. No numbers on slide, we took firing pin out and did a detail check...nothing.
Checkered trigger with 100lb pull +)
2. Slide was two tone as were both mags
3.Rt. side of frame read; Colt M1911A1 US ARMY, UNITED STATES PROPERTY
s/n no 22870xx
4. Lt side of frame read; GHD(behind trigger guard), lanyard loop on arched mainspring housing, "B" behind disconnector
5. slide marked; Patented apr.20 1897-sept.9 1902
dec.1905-feb.14 1911 aug.19 1913
Colt P.T.F.A mfg.co
Hartford, CT USA

finish upon a more discerning inspection shows 60-70% blue with minor surface pitting on slide (approx..5") plastic stocks, I've seen this gun run circles around newer ones and will ring a gong at 100 all day in my buddies hands...$400.00 CDN, should I run out and get it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a 1945 Colt with Drewry's mark on it. Not surprising to not have a SN behind the plate. Don't know what "B" is.
The rampant Colt is between the four dates and Colt P.T.F...., right? Those two-tone mags are added bonus if they are not fakes. Any letter(s) on the mags? It'd be nice to see the markings on the barrel as well.

Regardless, $400 CDN is a steal, BUY THAT COLT NOW! If you don't, I am gonna find out who your friend is and offer him $1200 US, because I seen them go for at least that much lately at shows

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Gun sounds like a real good buy, it would make a great collectable shooter. I have never heard of the B by the disconnector myself and it is not referenced in the books (Clawsons/Harrisons). Guns with that amount of wear are worth atleast $700 U.S. dollars here in the northwest.
Get it, Shot it, and enjoy it!
Cheers
Ty

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will pickup gun sat. TY maybe I'll bring it to my next FAS course, thanks for all the replies I'll post a pic when I get a chance

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
G.H.D.= Guy H. Drewry.

Sounds like a good find, I assume it's up in Canada? Up there prices on GI guns are still reasonable. I'm confused about your mention of blueing, however. Don't you mean Parkerizing? If blued the finish isn't original. You mentioned two-tone, so that would signify the darkness around the front of the slide due to heat treating. You also won't find the S/N under the FP stop plate after the 1.4 million range on a Colt.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who exactly was GHD, the gun is grey in colour (park??) though very smooth, the slide and mags are definitely two tone, no need to suspect the gun isn't original as there is no real market up here to justify bogus guns, came from an estate from a CDN war vet anyway, I just found a commercial 1914 Colt for $450.00CDN, I think I have a problem

·
Registered
12 Posts
OK now I am very jealous. Why is it that I only hear about amazing deals and never come across them myself?! I wonder what the law is on transfering Curio and Relics into the States?
GHD was an US ordinance inspector, Lt. Colonel I believe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I am in Vancouver, the reason you guys can't have vintage 1911s is not Klinton as we once thought, it is infact a provission of the lend/lease act, when I sent my Springfield across the line for TRP treatment the inspector(US Customs) made very sure it was a commercial variety gun. He had a list he compared it too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my GI home today, they look better at home don't they. My buddy informed me today (when I asked him why the barrel lugs looked so crip) that the gun "was" unfired when he got the original estate, I had a few choice words for him. Ty,Ronin, the mags have no markings which I can see, I got two extra mags in the gi pouch and they look unused, only mag with a marking is a arrow on the bottom inside a circle pointing towards the lanyard loop, the barrel also has a "C"on the link support and a "7" on the bottom and a very small "p" on the opposite link support, the internals look mint and all fitting surfaces are very crips, Ty if you get up this way I'm only 10 min from the Peace-Arch border, drop me a line and lmk what you think of this find. FYI my buddies shop URL is smokinggunfx.com, check it out, especially the movie guns gallery.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hey Sparrow,
Will do, might be heading up their next month on business. On the arrow a "C" around a arrow would be the Canada Military ownership marking. I dont know about the barrel only one I know of is Post WW2 barrels with a P on one lug, a C with a box around it on the other lug, and COLT 45 AUTO readable through the ejection port.

Congrats on the new gun, sounds like a nice piece. I picked up mine today as well here is the link....http://coolgunsite.com/images/1911/clawson1919/claw1919.htm

Cheers
ty

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ty, one last Q, I just noticed what looks like a Springfield proof mark on the Rt.Side of the frame to the rear of the stock, maybe this isn't an original, any info on the mark, looks like crossed cannons in a circle with a crown?? on it??thanks again

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You are right thats the Ordnance Escutcheon, its supposed to be their. They are stamped after finish and are usually pretty light or only a half strike so some appears to be missing.
Cheers
Ty

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
The barrel with C in a square is typical of late WW2 Colt production. Pistols made prior to 1945 should always be marked "Colt .45 Auto" next to the lower lug. AS Ty noted, the Ordinance wheel on the RR of the frame is usually poorly stamped. It is still a good way of determining originality of finish, because at least one part of the stamp is deep enough to reveal burnish marks or white metal where the finish was abraded during stamping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well guys, thanks for all the info. It sure looks like this is a last run Colt form 1945 according to Ty's web page, and all original to boot, you guys are a wealth of info, I might get the Colt historical documentation if I decide to hang on to it forever. Ty the invite still stands,

Regards,
Ray

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Glad to help out. If you email me the SN I will look in Goddards book and see if it is in Colts shipping records, thats about all the letters tells you. Ship date, to whom, qty, and special notes like ivory grips, engraved....
Cheers
Ty

------------------
Cheers,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
74,665 Posts
Ty, since you've got a nicer bookshelf than me I'll probably be e-mailing you the #'s of my guns too, just to see if you have the info.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
TY I sent you the info on my 1916 Commercial and you did'nt give me the ship date, to whom, qty and, special notes. What gives?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts