I would like to know before I make an offer

Attachments

·
Administrator
73,009 Posts

·
Administrator
73,009 Posts
It's an early 1918 slide so there should not be a serial number on the slide. Colt did not begin the practice until 1920.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Parkerized mixer looks to have been thru an arsenal rebuild. Not worth a lot but would shoot ok. Under a grand unless you had a parkerized UMC slide laying around and wanted to do the whole parts chasing thing to have a correct but rebuilt refinished pistol. Look on backpage in phoenix some guy had a miXer and a 1916 commercial for $1550 each yesterday.

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is a mix matched gun and has little collector value. It may be worth more in individual parts than as a complete gun. Also who ever modified it did a poor job, it also appears to have had the firing pin retaining block replaced. As I said before I may be a bit stingy but I would not give more than $650.00 for this gun, $700.00 if I was feeling very generous.
GRIZZ

·
Administrator
73,009 Posts
The Colt slide on top of a Remington UMC receiver was the most obvious giveaway. ;)

Understand that there's nothing toxic about these mixmasters. They're not going to give the other guns in your safe a disease and they aren't going to blow up in your hand. They just have little collector's value at this point, and if CMP ever manages to get ahold of the remaining Army .45s to sell the value of any mixmaster currently out there is going to drop down to that of a new Armscor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am novice 1911 person. How did you know the bbl was High Standard and the Frame UMC? I can see the retaining block replacement. Depending on the angle from which these photos were taken, sight could be way out of whack. This gun has been rode hard and put up wet - so they say.
The CMP comment is interesting.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am novice 1911 person. How did you know the bbl was High Standard and the Frame UMC? I can see the retaining block replacement. Depending on the angle from which these photos were taken, sight could be way out of whack. This gun has been rode hard and put up wet - so they say.
The CMP comment is interesting.
Barrel is HS because it bears the stamps. It is a Remington UMC lower from 1918 because it was inspected by E. E. Chapman. The pistol has not been shot for 5 decades at minimum and rode hard? Please :)

Pic of the barrel, dirty but the gunsmith who looked at it was impressed...

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
just don't buy it. no up side for appreciation. no good for an everyday shooter. parts only for stuff that's not worth restoring. just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Looks like it may have been a DCM pistol.
Back in the day, many rearsenaled 1911s found their way there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts