1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Combat Commander today. It's been refinished with some sort of bake on coating. I read somewhere that a "sc" in the serial number means it's a is a stainless gun. It that true? The serial number is 70SC27XX.

Is this a stainless gun covered up with a coating? "SC" is stainless Commander?

Also, what year model is it?

Thanks ;)

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
No, it's not stainless. I don't know what year it was made, however. Stainless Commanders have only been made in Series 80 format so far, and yours is a pre-Series 80 S/N#.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
"SC" usually means the gun is satin chrome plated.

70SC27XX is either a 1973 or 1974 model.

1973's "SC" series started at 70SC05401.
1974's "SC" series started at 70SC27201.

This is long before Colt started making stainless steel guns, so it was a satin chrome model.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dfariswheel said:
"SC" usually means the gun is satin chrome plated.

70SC27XX is either a 1973 or 1974 model.

1973's "SC" series started at 70SC05401.
1974's "SC" series started at 70SC27201.

This is long before Colt started making stainless steel guns, so it was a satin chrome model.

Thanks for the info.

The serial numbers you show have five digits after the "SC". My serial number only has four digits. After the "SC" it's 27XX, not 027XX.

·
Registered
400 Posts
"SC" usually means the gun is satin chrome plated

Nope, SC is the designator for NICKEL, the Commander is/was either Satin Nickel, Matte Nickel, Electroless Nickel or Coltguard plated and the slide probably is too unless the Nickel has been removed and painted over...
Cold did not produce any chrome Commanders way back then, not sure if they ever have...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
prplhrtx3 said:
"SC" usually means the gun is satin chrome plated

Nope, SC is the designator for NICKEL, the Commander is/was either Satin Nickel, Matte Nickel, Electroless Nickel or Coltguard plated and the slide probably is too unless the Nickel has been removed and painted over...
Cold did not produce any chrome Commanders way back then, not sure if they ever have...
Thank you very much. :) Any harm in gently bead blasting the spray coating off and exposing the nickel? Could I just leave it like that?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Bead blasting should definately work, however I would be cautious and not suprised what you uncover. If it looks like crap underneath I would sent it to Virgil Tripp to be Cobra Chromed (Hard Chromed). He's done two pistols for me and they tuned out quite well. Happy blasting :p

·
Registered
400 Posts
NO NO NO, bead blasting will remove the Nickel. You might detail strip the pistol, soak it in lacuer thinner to remove the bake on coating. It won't hurt the Nickel. If the thinner does remove the bake on and IF the Nickel was never blasted it may surprise you and come out a looker. If the Nickel has been blasted or is otherwise damaged then you have a world of plating options...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried the thinner but it didn't come off, so I blasted away. Someone had already blasted it so no harm done.

Now, what to do? I want a black or dark gray finish and prefer at plating vs. coating.

Is there a such thing as a dark color hard chrome plating? Or is it only the bright silver?

Thanks much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts