1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been told don't expect too much from a $700 1911. ok no worries. Now is this normal?? does your gun have this? look like the cutter cut too much

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Call Ruger and e-mail the pictures.

I suspect the automatic cutting machine "burped."

You'll get a quick answer, day or two I suspect with
what company might do for you or not do.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yep, mine has it as well. Not pretty, agreed. I don't think of it as much more than a cosmetic issue, but that's down to personal preference I suppose.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Shoot the gun and do not worry about it. It is not meant to be a high end, high priced gun. But if it really bothers you then call Ruger and see what they will do about it. The only thing they can do is issue you a new gun and depending on where you are that may or may not be a hindrance.

JAmes

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mine, as well as every other SR1911 I've seen, has that exact same notch (for lack of a better term) on the frame in that spot.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ruger will tell you the norm for a manufacturer snafu "within limits" "does not affect function" and they will leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ruger will tell you the norm for a manufacturer snafu "within limits" "does not affect function" and they will leave it at that.
I'm pretty sure that is what they are going to say but I have read that Ruger has replaced guns for smaller issues than this.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I have my second SR1911 Commander. Ruger replaced the first one, the second one isn't as good as the first, both shot low, the replacement shot low and the bbl didn't lock up tight at the bbl hood. I Sent it back also. They installed a long link to repair the lock up. They don't regulate the sights altho they do claim to shoot to make sure the group size is within their limits. I filed the front sight down .030" to zero it.
Shoot the gun and if it checks out don't do anything to it. Also, my gun has the same cut on it as yours.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
In the machining world we call this a "false start". Either the tool length was set wrong or the tool pulled loose from the holder during the machining. I have several friends that own Ruger's. I think Ruger will make this right for you.

·
Premium Member
7,080 Posts
This area is cast, not machined.
The mis-match is due to a loose insert in the mold.

The problem is also seen on another companies frames that Ruger casts for.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input. if its normal, not much to worry about then. I just have this bad habit of comparing it to my STI Edge.

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays to all.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My full size sr1911 also has a notch like that. Although it's on the opposite side and not quite as distinct as the ones in the photos. I didn't even notice it until I read this thread.
Damn why did I read this! I won't sleep at night now

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.