1911Forum banner

is this to much?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  stealthgoat 
#1 ·
My dealer has a colt ser80 goverment model in 9x23 with an extra 38 super conversion kit by colt one mag for each kit and the gun is blue. He wants 1400 for the whole thing this seems a bit steep to me am I right, or is this a good price?
Thanks ERic

#4 ·
Hey wait guys, it's a COLT, and they ain't making those things anymore! They are also extremely RARE and HARD TO FIND. It is also probably one of the few that were made without a CAST FRAME and without PLASTIC, MIM, and PAPER MACHE`parts in it.

Whoops, sorry, I was viewing Guns America late last night. :(

#5 ·
dsk said:
Hey wait guys, it's a COLT, and they ain't making those things anymore! They are also extremely RARE and HARD TO FIND. It is also probably one of the few that were made without a CAST FRAME and without PLASTIC, MIM, and PAPER MACHE`parts in it.

Whoops, sorry, I was viewing Guns America late last night. :(

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

#9 ·
Harley,
I recently went the other route since the factory Colt 9x23 model is not legal here in Kal. I bought a really nice Colt Super 38 enhanced model and a factory Colt 9x23 heavy barrel. Maybe I was lucky but the Colt 9x23 barrel dropped right in (FYI Colt 9x23 heavy barrel uses 45acp bushing not 38S) and it functions perfectly with Win white box 9x23.
Unless you you get a really good deal on the 9x23 or simply must have the 'collector' 9x23 model number (019Z3E or something like that??) on the outside of the box instead of Super 38 model 02070E/ 02570E, this would be much cheaper route for you.
FYI I am not a 'smith nor do I play one on TV, but I have been told the Colt chamber is high side of tolerance? So unless you get a good deal on a Colt barrel like I did, several guys told me a tighter chambered Bar-sto or Kart barrel may be better. Lucky for me my 'sloppy' Colt barrel shoots much better than I can hold, so I am real happy.

Regards,

#10 · (Edited)
1400 is way too much. There is one on one of the auction sites form 1400+. Both are way out of line. Find a 38 Super enhanced model and get a colt barrel and you have the fabled 9x23. Or get a 70 series 38 super or 9mm and add a few custom touches and you got a sweet 9x23. Or just build your own for about 1000 and have a nice custom blaster.

For what it is worth I bought a LNIB 9x23 with the 38 super barrel and 2mags for each for 650.00 about 8months ago and a NIB 9x23 Colt for 600.00. They're around.

Attachments

#11 ·
I've had a couple of guys e-mail me offline and mention that since the chambers on the colt bar. is pretty generous 9x23 will probably drop right in, Anyone tried that?
I've already got a custo 9x23 but the p.d. won't let me carry it due to no series 80 safety, si I gotta find me a cold or kimber series 2 gun

Stealtgoat Where did you get the colt heavy bar?
Thanks Eric

#12 ·
Harley, If you're asking if the 9x23 will drop into the chamber on a 38 super barrel, the answer is maybe. Each chamber is a bit different. For the most part the oppposite will work better. The 38 super chamber is tighter in the rear. Any competent pistolsmith can ream the barrel of the 38 super to chamber the 9x23. Springfield did it with their factory 9x23's. They took 38 super barrels and reamed the chamber. they even milled the 38 super lettering off the barrel and restamped them 9x23.

#13 ·
Like JoeMc, I think it comes down to production tolerance.

In my case 9x23 would not chamber in my factory 38S barrel but 38S chambers and functions fine in my 9x23 barrel, I just change the recoil springs. I have noted no case bulge but I would not try hot 38S loads without working up to it slowly- I have never experienced "Super face" nor do I want to.

I don't know if all the Colt 9x23 barrels are 'heavy barrels' with thicker 45acp o.d instead of 38S o.d., but mine is. Mine apparently came from someone with a 9x23/ 38S dual pistol but only used 38S.

It may be cheaper to have your 38S barrel reamed for 9x23 rather than buy another barrel. For LEO duty weapon I would have the whole package extractor etc adjusted by a pro for 9x23 same time - just my opinion and we know how little that is worth ;)
Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.