1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titegroup has been mentioned as the latest faddish powder for .40S&W rounds in IPSC competition. Anyone use it for the tried & true H&G68 200 grain LSWC round in .45ACP?

If so, what are some major power factor load recipes?

Is it better (esp. "cleaner") over, say, WW231?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I like TiteGroup and have used it extensively in the .45 ACP. Jacketed bullet loads are where I have used it most and am presently loading a 185 grain JHP (Montana Gold or Nosler) over 5.3 grains. This has proven to be an accurate competition load that is also very clean burning. For cast bullets I have been using CLAYS with good results.

If I decided to use TiteGroup with cast bullets I would try 5.3 grains under a 185 grain SWC and 5.0 with the 200. These should be good places to start.

(Don't overlook CLAYS for those cast bullets loads)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use Titegroup for my .45 acp, .44 rem mag, and 9 mm Luger.
My favorite load in .45 acp would be a 200 gr. LSWC over 5.2 gr. of Titegroup. This load chronographs around 875 to 910 fps out of my 5in. Kimber. And seems to be more accurate then I am.
It might be the lastest rage but I really like a powder that can be used in different calibers. In the .44 rem mag this powder seems to do a very nice job. I haven't chronyed any loads yet but they seem to "kick" some with no pressure signs. In 9mm Luger, I am loading a 124 gr plated over 4.3 gr. of Titegroup and getting real close to 1100 fps out of a Hi-Power. markmcj

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Hold on a second, sportsfans.

I shoot Titegroup for Bullseye competition. I started out with 4.5 grains under a cast LSWC, the 200 gr. HG 68, cast from wheelweights, water quenched, and sized to .452. I haven't chronographed them yet--but they REALLY kick brass from my .45 SA 1911A1--as far as 6-7 yards away--and I'm shooting with an 18" spring!!

Be careful, guys. Start low, be careful.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been shooting Titegroup for about a year and have chrono-ed to give me a power factor of 170 by using 4.4 gr. of 200 g. LSWC. I shoot a P14-45.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Was wondering about titegroup after talking to a friend about loadings for 45. I think the data was 200gr LSWC, win primer, any brass and 4.0gr titegroup. Seen a lot of I use this or that on this post, but anybody have a source of published data?

------------------
There are 1911's and those that wish they were

·
Registered
416 Posts
From what I have gethered in the last few months, Titegroup is to the .45 as lead is to the pencil.
However, I have experienced "Titegroup" to be a dirtier burning powder. Accurate as all get out, but dirtier. From reading all the comments of "Titegroup" being a clean powder, I am pulling my hair out, because I didn't find it to be clean. Maybe I just need to try it now that I shoot with dry lubrication vs. the wet "Rem Oil" of the past. Maybe then it will be as clean as "Red Dot" is on "Tetra" as Pine-Sol is on kitchen tile?

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

[This message has been edited by Gargoyle (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use Titegroup in my 9mm and it burns very clean. It is a different story in my 45. I get a lot powder residue buildup with my 45, especially on the rails, but I do not see the same on my 9mm. I assume it is due to the two different enviroments where the powder is burning. Large 45 case vs small 9mm case. If this is not the reason then some chemist needs to give us the answer.
I continue to use it because in my Kimber nothing is better than a 185gr LSWC with Titegroup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have loaded and shot about 500 rounds using titegroup and 200gr lead semi-wadcutters. I am going for accuracy and very little kick as I am trying to get more control of the gun. I have used 4.4grains and 4.1 grains. Both are very accurate (8 ring or better at 25yards, and I am no bullseye shooter) I also found that the 4.1 grain load is much cleaner then the 4.4grain. I have also started to load 230 round nose lead bullets under 4.4 grains and it is also very accurate. I have not had any of these chrono'd, but if I can find someone with one, I would like to see where they are.

Mark

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by MarkInND:
I have loaded and shot about 500 rounds using titegroup and 200gr lead semi-wadcutters. I am going for accuracy and very little kick as I am trying to get more control of the gun. I have used 4.4grains and 4.1 grains. Both are very accurate (8 ring or better at 25yards, and I am no bullseye shooter) I also found that the 4.1 grain load is much cleaner then the 4.4grain. I have also started to load 230 round nose lead bullets under 4.4 grains and it is also very accurate. I have not had any of these chrono'd, but if I can find someone with one, I would like to see where they are.

Mark
If you want even less recoil, go with 200gr bullets!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another vote from me for TiteGroup being a dirty powder, but with an explanation. It formed a sticky crud in the chamber that turned me off of it. However, I use light target loads, and I don't think that's being fair to its burning characteristics. My understanding is that for light loads I need to use a fast-burning powder to create enough pressure to allow the powder to burn completely. TiteGroup and W231 don't fit this bill--Clays is working out much better for my needs. I can believe that for a regular charge it could be fine.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I load Titegroup for my 9mm, .40 and .45. It seems that the larger the bore and the lower the pressure the dirtier it becomes. It is spotless in my 9mms, but somewhat dirty in my .45. It is, however, much cleaner than Unique or Bullseye in .45. Clays might be a better choice for light loads in .45.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I use Titegroup in my .45acp and 9mm loads. Using 4.0 grains in all of the following loads.

.45acp BullX 200 grain LSWC (M1911 - 15lb recoil spring)

.45acp Star 185 grain LSWCHP (M1911 - 15lb recoil spring)

.45acp Remington 230 grain FMJ (M1911 - 18.5lb recoil spring)

9mm Remington 124 grain FMJ - 9mm Hornady 124 grain JFP - 9mm Shooter's Choice 122 grain LFP. (Beretta92FS factory spring)

I find it to be cleaner then Bullseye, and about the same as Clays.

------------------

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Latin: "A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand."

-- Seneca, Letters to Lucilius

1 - 14 of 14 Posts