1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MY FURTHER COMMENTS IN POST #17

What do you consider reliable? Specifically and as the subject says, if you got two failures (slide locking back in the middle of a mag) out of 400 rounds, do you consider that reliable?

For the record, I do not. And especially as this is an ongoing problem that has gotten better. Just wondering what you all think.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How many rounds total through the gun ? What exactly are you seeing in terms of malfunctions ?

What magazines and how old are they ? What kind of ammo ? Also how is the gun lubed ? There are so many variables when dealing with issues like this. I am currently breaking in a new X Tac and have had a few malfunctions. You have to eliminate variables before blaming it on one thing.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
In my opinion one failure when your life is on the line will be too much.

Take time and care to work them out and get it running right, and you will.

·
Registered
766 Posts
No, not acceptable for a self defense weapon. Not really acceptable for a range gun either, but at the range you have time to troubleshoot the cause and determine if it is the gun or the shooter.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,344 Posts
I accept one malfunction per 1000 rounds, if there is no "theme" to the malfunctions.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
No, it is not acceptable.

And by the way, "break in" failures in my opinion are an excuse for a poorly built gun.

It's not the 1970's anymore. I expect a quality 1911 to run 100% from Round One.

Especially a gun from a higher end company that test fires every gun that goes out the door.

FWIW, every single full size 45ACP 1911 I own (Wilson and Ed Brown) has been 100% flawless with no BS "break in period" required.

And, as of last night, my new Series 70 Colt has 200 rounds fired with no issues *aside from* erratic ejection. It runs fine, but the brass is all over the place and the extractor probably needs a tune up. A lowered and flared ejection port probably wouldn't hurt either :)

I fully expect any 5 inch 45ACP 1911 I buy to run right out of the box, just adding a bit of lube before the maiden voyage if necessary.

·
Registered
568 Posts

And by the way, "break in" failures in my opinion are an excuse for a poorly built gun.

It's not the 1970's anymore. I expect a quality 1911 to run 100% from Round One.

Especially a gun from a higher end company that test fires every gun that goes out the door.

FWIW, every single full size 45ACP 1911 I own (Wilson and Ed Brown) has been 100% flawless with no BS "break in period" required.

And, as of last night, my new Series 70 Colt has 200 rounds fired with no issues *aside from* erratic ejection. It runs fine, but the brass is all over the place and the extractor probably needs a tune up. A lowered and flared ejection port probably wouldn't hurt either :)

I fully expect any 5 inch 45ACP 1911 I buy to run right out of the box, just adding a bit of lube before the maiden voyage if necessary.
100% agree.

So long as it isn't some issue with ammo, shooter, magazine, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Not sure there is any point in starting down the Mean Rounds Between Failure path until some other variables can be isolated, and very little has been mentioned thus far in terms of basic troubleshooting.

New gun? New magazines (or perhaps one suspect one that is starting to falter or has a weak spring)? Proper lubrication? Load selection? Serviceable recoil spring? The point here is that no, you shouldn't be wondering if you're going to be dealing with this indefinitely every 400 rounds, but at the same time, you need to start ruling-out potential causes, and this could be a pretty easy issue to resolve. Given how intermittent it is already, I suspect that would ultimately prove be the case.

Of course, the easiest solution is to just let Wilson's take a look at the gun for you, and attempt to replicate the problem; that sad, if they find nothing amiss, then the ball more or less ends up back in your court.

I'd start by making sure I could prove that one mag wasn't involved in both occurrences, and if by chance it is, cleaning it out and getting a new spring in it.

AC

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
First thing I would check is the magazine. See if it's the same magazine causing the issue. Maybe even buy one of the new ETM HD mags to see if that solves it. If not, that mag would still be great in any other full-size 1911.

If it wasn't a mag issue, next thing I would try is ammo. See if it happens with different types of ammo. If it's a carry gun, make sure it functions properly with your carry load.

If neither of those worked, I'd send it back to have it looked over. However, if it only fails a couple times every 400 rounds, it may be kinda hard diagnose.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

I agree 100%

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
Please specify make, model, caliber, magazine, ammo.

Premature slide lockulation is commonly due to the bullet nose bumping the slide stop as it comes up in the magazine.
Look for copper marks on the slide stop lug where it overhangs the follower.
Refer them to the warranty clerk, your gunsmith, or a fine file, depending on how froggy you feel.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Malfunctions are only acceptable if it is a range gun and you are shooting light target loads or your own hand loads. That is forgivable. If a gun malfunctions with factory loaded full power loads, that is not acceptable to me.

Magazine related failures can be forgiven because magazines are a disposable or rebuildable item.

This is assuming that the gun failed on its own and not because I did something to cause the failure.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not sure there is any point in starting down the Mean Rounds Between Failure path until some other variables can be isolated, and very little has been mentioned thus far in terms of basic troubleshooting.

New gun? New magazines (or perhaps one suspect one that is starting to falter or has a weak spring)? Proper lubrication? Load selection? Serviceable recoil spring? The point here is that no, you shouldn't be wondering if you're going to be dealing with this indefinitely every 400 rounds, but at the same time, you need to start ruling-out potential causes, and this could be a pretty easy issue to resolve. Given how intermittent it is already, I suspect that would ultimately prove be the case.

Of course, the easiest solution is to just let Wilson's take a look at the gun for you, and attempt to replicate the problem; that sad, if they find nothing amiss, then the ball more or less ends up back in your court.

I'd start by making sure I could prove that one mag wasn't involved in both occurrences, and if by chance it is, cleaning it out and getting a new spring in it.

AC
I have to agree that it has to become a process of elimination as Jedi A.C. stated.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys. I've done several range reports on this gun already (links below). Your previous feedback has been very helpful and so greatly appreciated! The gun has been back to Wilson three times now. I wasn't planning on doing any further reports as I simply don't see the value in it. I was really just looking for a sanity check to make sure that my expectations were reasonable. I believe they are.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=400838
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=404688
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=423904
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=425533

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I would guess most of us were thinking 45 acp. You just threw a colored shirt into the wash with the whites saying it is a 9mm. Now mags, ammo, timing, a lot more comes into play.

Did Wilson offer any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I was out in my chilly garage yesterday, cleaned my custom 1911, (not a Wilson), decided to use the Wilson Ultra Lube, partly because it has that nifty pointed dropper tip. I usually use my own mix of Redline 10-30 oil mixed with their ATF. A fairly light-wt oil.

Lubed it with the Wilson lube, and then racked it to move the lube around, and I couldn't believe how sluggish the gun was. So removed the high viscosity Wilson, and re-lubed with my own oil, and it then was once more a slick gun.

So while there are many causes of a malfunction, one is one's choice of lube.

All the best....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts