1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Wolf ammo always to be avoided, even when used in an AK? I'd be interested in what 7.62 x 39 people recommend for an SAR-1, or other AK.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
short and sweet, its dirty and fire it too fast and the laquer will cook off and coat the chamber causing feeding problems, have you tried the new Silver Bear yet? It's russian too but it has a plated case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Turner Outdoorsman, a chain here in Southern California, is offering Wolf in boxes of 50 45 ACP, for $4.98 each!! It it really so lousy that we should stay away from it even at that price? I shoot reloads that I buy locally, and they cost WAY more than that. To be sure, they're in brass casings, and they look beautifully finished, so maybe I'm answering my own question. $5 a box is awfully tempting, though.

·
Registered
992 Posts
All I used in my Mak90 was wolf, and norinco and they both used the laquer finish. I have fired hundreds of rounds in rapid succesion, and never had the running laquer problems people have mentioned.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have no problem with Wolf in 7.62x39, as Wolf is similar to a lot of the military stuff designed for those rifles. In my custom built 1911, however, I feed it nothing but good stuff in brass cartridge cases.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most people I know with AK's love Wolf. It's cheap and goes bang.
AK's are Russian, they should be able to shoot Russian ammo.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Or the right answer is, try it. If your gonna use it in an AK or variant, go for it. I've shot plenty of it, without a problem in my Ak's, and I know alot of people that have shot more of it than I, also trouble free. If the weapon is designed to use steel cased ammo, there probably won't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
RM said:
Is Wolf ammo always to be avoided, even when used in an AK? I'd be interested in what 7.62 x 39 people recommend for an SAR-1, or other AK.
that gun is made for wolf ammo, your sar will have no problem with that stuff.

I wouldn't shoot it out of a ar because they are so finicky but blast away, sks, mini 14 and especially the AK all love wolf.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I shoot it out of my 7.62mm x 39 Maadi AK, works great. It's cheap plinking ammo. Dunno if I would use it for minute accuracy stuff or in a full on custom race gun, but your AK will love it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've used some in my 1911 and know other people who have used it without problem. I, and everyone else I know who have used it, thought it was better than Remington UMC ammo. As to the laquer problem, most people I know clean their guns thoroughly after use anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I,ve used used it with mixed results. It worked fine in both a mak 90 and sks(762x39). As far as 1911s go stay away from the crap! I picked up 500 rounds of 45. It put notches in the feed ramp of my Springfield and jammed every other round in my Crown parts gun. I did'nt even think about putting it in the WW1 Colt.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The shotshells are also made in Germany.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Lacquer

I have not shot any Wolf ammo but of have course considered it after seeing the price at several outlets.

One question just to solidify my ignorance: where does the lacquer come from. Is it a coating on the steel case or something used on the inside during the manufacuring process?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Re: Lacquer

ashop1al said:
I have not shot any Wolf ammo but of have course considered it after seeing the price at several outlets.

One question just to solidify my ignorance: where does the lacquer come from. Is it a coating on the steel case or something used on the inside during the manufacuring process?
Wolf is a steel cased round, with a FMJ copper bullet. They coat the thing with laquer to prevent rust, and make it more durable when under harsh conditions. Laquer tends to melt under high heat conditions such as when rapid fireing for and extended period of time. This stuff will tend to coat the chamber and can be cleaned farely easly but is a pain in the field when out there for a day of fun.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have only used it in my Makarkovs. It has been fine in those guns. I figure that the Russians designed both, and it won't give problems in the MAK.

I would not use it in any other gun I have. From reports here and elsewhere it is not worth the trouble.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 34 Posts